Retrieving files.

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by hwh, Aug 31, 2003.

  1. hwh

    hwh Guest

    Hi there,

    I've got a nasty problem I can't solve, perhaps somebody else knows how to.
    Recently my Windows XP stopped booting after several system crashes.
    As I needed more space anyway I bought another disc and installed XP again.

    After this I installed the original disc as slave and tested it with the
    program supplied by western digital and that concluded the disc was ok.

    The problem is that the new copy of Windows does not allow me to access my
    own files on the first disc.
    I can read most of them, but not the ones in the documents and settings
    environment.
    I just get no access messages.
    I tried logging in as administrator but that does not help. Also, when I
    right-click on the folder there is no possibility to change the access
    rights, as I would expect.
    Any ideas?

    gr, hwh
    hwh, Aug 31, 2003

  2. Are you able to copy the files out of your slave drive to your master drive?

    Usually, when you can read them, you can copy them, just can't modify...

    I'd suggest you do a chkdsk on your slave drive and go from there...

    R Green
    Technical Support
    -------------------
    WoWsat.com
    -------------------

    R Green - WoWsat.com, Aug 31, 2003

  3. "hwh" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I've got a nasty problem I can't solve, perhaps somebody else knows how

    to.
    > Recently my Windows XP stopped booting after several system crashes.
    > As I needed more space anyway I bought another disc and installed XP

    again.

    > After this I installed the original disc as slave and tested it with the
    > program supplied by western digital and that concluded the disc was ok.
    >
    > The problem is that the new copy of Windows does not allow me to access my
    > own files on the first disc. I can read most of them, but not the ones in

    the
    > documents and settings environment. I just get no access messages.
    >
    > I tried logging in as administrator but that does not help. Also, when I
    > right-click on the folder there is no possibility to change the access
    > rights, as I would expect.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    The new installation has different user ID's than the old: although the
    names are the same (e.g., "administrator") the unique ID number assigned to
    each user has changed, and the NTFS filesystem on your old disk is looking
    for the old numbers.

    Try these steps:

    1. See if you can reboot from the original disk: if so, change
    the permissions on the old files to allow unlimited access, and
    copy them to the new disk just for luck.
    2. If that doesn't work, go to Disk Management, and change
    the filesystem on the old disk to FAT32.

    HTH.

    Bill
    William Warren, Aug 31, 2003
  4. hwh

    Chris Priede Guest

    hwh <> wrote:
    > I can read most of them, but not the ones in the documents and
    > settings environment. I just get no access messages.

    The problem is very simple: the permissions on your old profile directories
    were set to allow owner access only, the owner being your account under the
    old Windows installation. The SID of the new account is different (although
    it may be named the same) and you are not allowed access.

    The solution is to take ownership of the folders, the procedure for which is
    described here:

    > I tried logging in as administrator but that does not help.

    You will need to log on as administrator...

    > when I right-click on the folder there is no possibility to change
    > the access rights, as I would expect.

    This is briefly covered in the KB article.

    Basically, if you don't have the Security tab _and_ you have XP
    Professional, you need to turn of "Simple File Sharing". To do so, use
    "Tools" menu, "Folder Options" from any Explorer shell window (such as "My
    Computer"). Under the "View" tab, "Use simple file sharing" is the last
    setting in the list. Uncheck it and apply.

    If you have XP Home, you can:

    a) Start Windows in Safe Mode and log on with an administrator account to
    change permissions;

    b) Use command line tools (cacls, xcacls). These will work as expected,
    regardless of safe mode.

    --
    Chris Priede ()
    Chris Priede, Aug 31, 2003
  5. hwh

    hwh Guest

    "R Green - WoWsat.com" <> schreef in bericht
    > Are you able to copy the files out of your slave drive to your master

    drive?

    > Usually, when you can read them, you can copy them, just can't modify...
    >
    > I'd suggest you do a chkdsk on your slave drive and go from there...

    No, I can't copy them because I can't access them because windows gives me
    no access.
    The drive checks ok.

    gr, hwh
    hwh, Aug 31, 2003
  6. hwh

    hwh Guest

    > 1. See if you can reboot from the original disk: if so, change
    > the permissions on the old files to allow unlimited access, and
    > copy them to the new disk just for luck.

    No, can't reboot, that caused the original problem...

    > 2. If that doesn't work, go to Disk Management, and change
    > the filesystem on the old disk to FAT32.

    Wouldn't that erase all existing files?

    gr, hwh
    hwh, Aug 31, 2003
  7. hwh

    hwh Guest

    > Basically, if you don't have the Security tab _and_ you have XP
    > Professional, you need to turn of "Simple File Sharing". To do so, use
    > "Tools" menu, "Folder Options" from any Explorer shell window (such as "My
    > Computer"). Under the "View" tab, "Use simple file sharing" is the last
    > setting in the list. Uncheck it and apply.

    Yes! This did it. (and taking ownership).
    Thanks a lot!

    gr, hwh
    hwh, Aug 31, 2003
  8. hwh

    mto Guest

    "hwh" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I've got a nasty problem I can't solve, perhaps somebody else knows how

    to.
    > Recently my Windows XP stopped booting after several system crashes.
    > As I needed more space anyway I bought another disc and installed XP

    again.

    > After this I installed the original disc as slave and tested it with the
    > program supplied by western digital and that concluded the disc was ok.
    >
    > The problem is that the new copy of Windows does not allow me to access my
    > own files on the first disc.
    > I can read most of them, but not the ones in the documents and settings
    > environment.
    > I just get no access messages.
    > I tried logging in as administrator but that does not help. Also, when I
    > right-click on the folder there is no possibility to change the access
    > rights, as I would expect.
    > Any ideas?

    Got an old box running 98? You might be able to put the drive in that as a
    slave and access the files that way. Scrape them off onto a ZIP drive and
    move them to the new machine. It's a PITA - took me close to a week LOL
    when my old machine bellied up a while back to do the same, but it worked.
    mto, Aug 31, 2003