    are some tools that can recover the files...

    Surely a reformat trashes all data?

    If it is possible - what can you recommend as a good utility.

    ekimjroberts, Dec 24, 2003

  2. ekimjroberts

    Kenneth Guest

    On 24 Dec 2003 13:47:04 -0800, (ekimjroberts)
    wrote:

    >Can I ask if/how this can be done...
    >
    >I was told that if I had to reformat my pc due to a boot crash, there
    >are some tools that can recover the files...
    >
    >Surely a reformat trashes all data?
    >
    >If it is possible - what can you recommend as a good utility.

    Howdy,

    No expert I, but I believe that once you have formatted the drive, all
    is lost...

    --
    Kenneth

    Kenneth, Dec 24, 2003

  3. ekimjroberts

    philo Guest

    "ekimjroberts" <> wrote in message
    > Can I ask if/how this can be done...
    >
    > I was told that if I had to reformat my pc due to a boot crash, there
    > are some tools that can recover the files...
    >
    > Surely a reformat trashes all data?
    >
    > If it is possible - what can you recommend as a good utility.

    If you've formatted a drive (fat or fat32) Norton utilites has an unformat
    utility that you can run from a bootdisk.

    If you've made no attempt to write to the drive or otherwise try to recover
    data... it will do a good job of restoring all (or most) of your data.

    I gave it a try once just to see what happens and all files were
    recovered...
    but all folder names were just given generic names...
    so basically it won;t restore your copy of windows...but at least it will
    get all the data back

    philo, Dec 24, 2003
  4. ekimjroberts

    rgm Guest

    Google it there are Plenty of ways to get files back . The less you use
    the drive the more chance of recovering files

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=hard drive reformat recover files
    > Can I ask if/how this can be done...
    >
    > I was told that if I had to reformat my pc due to a boot crash, there
    > are some tools that can recover the files...
    >
    > Surely a reformat trashes all data?
    >
    > If it is possible - what can you recommend as a good utility.

    ---

    rgm, Dec 24, 2003
  5. ekimjroberts

    Sultan Guest

    ekimjroberts wrote in

    > Can I ask if/how this can be done...
    >
    > I was told that if I had to reformat my pc due to a boot crash, there
    > are some tools that can recover the files...
    >
    > Surely a reformat trashes all data?
    >
    > If it is possible - what can you recommend as a good utility.

    All is not lost but it will cost you to recover the data. You can try
    using Google to search for file recovery utilities or contact a
    professional service if the data is valuable enough that you want to make
    sure its recovered.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Dec 24, 2003
  6. ekimjroberts

    M Mullen Guest

    On 24 Dec 2003 13:47:04 -0800, (ekimjroberts) wrote:

    |> Can I ask if/how this can be done...
    |>
    |> I was told that if I had to reformat my pc due to a boot crash, there
    |> are some tools that can recover the files...
    |>
    |> Surely a reformat trashes all data?
    |>
    |> If it is possible - what can you recommend as a good utility.

    dos up to 6.x, Win98 and ME, have an unformat function as long as the format
    switch /U (unrecoverable) isn't used.

    From format.com Win98:
    There is not enough room to create a restore file.
    You will not be able to use the UNFORMAT utility.
    Proceed with Format

    It's an undocumented function and I've never unformatted a disk.

    Of course there's a limit of how much new stuff was added before it's worthless.

    --
    ,,
    ( "> w I much prefer travelling in non-British ships.

    M Mullen, Dec 25, 2003
  7. ekimjroberts

    cabinboy Guest

    Check
    www.ontrack.com

    Formating a dsik all it does it's erases the MBR (Master boot Record) but the
    data it's intact.
    Now if instead of formating you do a "Write all zeros" you'r f...

    cabinboy, Dec 29, 2003
  8. ekimjroberts

    cabinboy Guest

    Sorry, I wanted to say that formating erases the FAT (File alocation table) that
    tells the system were all the files and files segments are stored but the data
    it's intact.
    Now I asume we are talking about high-level format, the type of format that most
    users execute. In addition, hard disks have a low-level format, which sets
    certain properties of the disk such as the interleave factor. The low-level
    format also determines what type of disk controller can access the disk so a
    low-level format completely rearenges the disk, in this case the data as it was
    stored it's gone forever.

    cabinboy, Dec 29, 2003