Retrieving email name

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by crest, Aug 17, 2007.

  1. crest

    crest Guest

    Win XP Pro
    Outlook Express

    In the middle of a problem with email I unfortunately deleted my personal
    (private
    use) email name- one I have used for years since being with my broadband
    service.
    The broadband carrier, Cox, and the tech I questioned about getting it back
    was not
    the most helpful. That and the fact I'm really not that experienced, has
    gotten me
    nowhere. Although I very much doubt it - is there a method or procedure I
    can
    go through otherwise to get it back?
     
    crest, Aug 17, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. crest

    Vanguard Guest

    "crest" wrote in message news:nE8xi.83991$...
    > Win XP Pro
    > Outlook Express


    Not an OS or e-mail client issue. Issue is with account deletion(s)
    at the e-mail provider. However, too much info is better than too
    little.

    > In the middle of a problem with email I unfortunately deleted my
    > personal (private > use) email name- one I have used for years since
    > being with my broadband service. The broadband carrier, Cox, and the
    > tech I questioned about getting it back was not the most helpful.
    > That and the fact I'm really not that experienced, has gotten me
    > nowhere. Although I very much doubt it - is there a method or
    > procedure I can go through otherwise to get it back?


    After you delete your e-mail account at your e-mail provider, whether
    or not you can get it back depends on the provider's setup. Some will
    deactivate the account but you can still reactivate if the account
    doesn't remain inactive for too long. Hotmail is like this. When you
    cancel a Hotmail account, you have 90 days to reactivate it. However,
    my ISP (Comcast) will immediate eradicate a deleted account so there
    is no way to recover from "accidental" deletion.

    Deleted e-mail usernames eventually go back into the pool of available
    usernames but it can take a long time. With Hotmail or Yahoo Mail, it
    is like 6 months, or longer. With Comcast, it is over a year (I
    deleted one that took 2 years before it went back into the available
    name pool).

    If deleting an account only deactivates it then you can reactivate it
    before too many days elapse. If deleting an account actually deletes
    the account, you'll have to pick another username at your e-mail
    provider.

    Sure looks like that old e-mail address is gone. After getting a new
    account, start sending out e-mails to notify your known senders of
    your change in e-mail address.
     
    Vanguard, Aug 17, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. crest

    Mike Easter Guest

    crest wrote:
    > Win XP Pro
    > Outlook Express


    > The broadband carrier, Cox, and the tech I questioned about getting
    > it back was not the most helpful.


    If it turns out that you are going to need to 'suddenly' without advance
    notice contact all of your friends and contacts and mailing lists and
    others who have your email address and that you want goodmail from, then
    you should consider *not* simply getting another different email address
    with your current email provider who is your connectivity provider.

    Your connectivity provider email address relationship is a 'fragile
    thing' as you have demonstrated and for other reasons as well.

    Not only are they not able to help you with a problem which is currently
    important to you, but next month or next season it might turn out to be
    a better idea to have a different connectivity provider for any number
    of reasons. So then your email addy goes bye bye again. Not a pretty
    picture. It would be better if your email addy were more 'stable' than
    fragile and evanescent.

    There are advantages to having your 'working' email addy for your
    friends and others to not depend upon your current connectivity
    provider.

    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Aug 17, 2007
    #3
  4. Mike Easter wrote:
    > crest wrote:
    >> Win XP Pro
    >> Outlook Express

    >
    >> The broadband carrier, Cox, and the tech I questioned about getting
    >> it back was not the most helpful.


    > picture. It would be better if your email addy were more 'stable' than
    > fragile and evanescent.


    heh ... he said evanescent.
     
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 17, 2007
    #4
  5. crest

    Dan C Guest

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:31:11 -0700, crest wrote:

    > Win XP Pro
    > Outlook Express
    >
    > In the middle of a problem with email I unfortunately deleted my personal
    > (private
    > use) email name- one I have used for years since being with my broadband
    > service.
    > The broadband carrier, Cox, and the tech I questioned about getting it back
    > was not
    > the most helpful. That and the fact I'm really not that experienced, has
    > gotten me
    > nowhere. Although I very much doubt it - is there a method or procedure I
    > can
    > go through otherwise to get it back?


    How do people as clueless as you even get through life? How do you even
    manage to function in today's society?

    Does someone remind you to breath every few seconds? Who ties your
    shoelaces for you in the mornings?

    Unbelievable.


    --
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as Christopher Robin pleaded to be spanked again.
     
    Dan C, Aug 17, 2007
    #5
  6. crest

    ded Guest

    "crest" <> wrote in message
    news:nE8xi.83991$...
    > Win XP Pro
    > Outlook Express
    >
    > In the middle of a problem with email I unfortunately deleted my personal
    > (private
    > use) email name- one I have used for years since being with my broadband
    > service.
    > The broadband carrier, Cox, and the tech I questioned about getting it
    > back was not
    > the most helpful. That and the fact I'm really not that experienced, has
    > gotten me
    > nowhere. Although I very much doubt it - is there a method or procedure I
    > can
    > go through otherwise to get it back?
    >


    As long as you continue to subscribe to cox.net your email accounts
    with them remain active, you can't close/delete them as such, and even
    if idle for many months if you remain a subscriber they remain active.
    You're using OE, so do you mean you have deleted your email account
    from Outlook Express? I think thats what you meant..............

    Here is the cox pictorial guide for configuring an email account into OE
    all you need is the email address and password and this will guide you
    to reconfiguring your "mislaid" email account
    http://support.cox.com/sdccommon/asp/contentredirect.asp

    This is how to access cox email accounts via their web interface,
    you can access all accounts via your primary/logon account
    http://support.cox.com/sdccommon/asp/contentredirect.asp
     
    ded, Aug 17, 2007
    #6
  7. crest

    Top Guest

    Dan C wrote:

    > On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:31:11 -0700, crest wrote:
    >
    >> Win XP Pro
    >> Outlook Express
    >>
    >> In the middle of a problem with email I unfortunately deleted my personal
    >> (private
    >> use) email name- one I have used for years since being with my broadband
    >> service.
    >> The broadband carrier, Cox, and the tech I questioned about getting it back
    >> was not
    >> the most helpful. That and the fact I'm really not that experienced, has
    >> gotten me
    >> nowhere. Although I very much doubt it - is there a method or procedure I
    >> can
    >> go through otherwise to get it back?

    >
    > How do people as clueless as you even get through life? How do you even
    > manage to function in today's society?
    >
    > Does someone remind you to breath every few seconds? Who ties your
    > shoelaces for you in the mornings?
    >
    > Unbelievable.
    >
    >


    At least he has shoes. Is this what you do for a living? It would take
    less of your import time if you just hit the next key and got on with
    your day.

    Top
     
    Top, Aug 18, 2007
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. gwtx2
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    538
    gwtx2
    Dec 18, 2004
  2. relaxing cardshark

    Thunderbird stops retrieving messages

    relaxing cardshark, Jun 8, 2005, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    808
    relaxing cardshark
    Jun 9, 2005
  3. =?Utf-8?B?dmlqdTgy?=
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    806
    =?Utf-8?B?VmlwdWwgUGF0ZWwgKE1WUCk=?=
    Sep 7, 2004
  4. diane l. putzer

    retrieving my messages

    diane l. putzer, Jul 29, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    488
    olfart
    Jul 30, 2003
  5. Ronald Marshall

    retrieving email from another computer

    Ronald Marshall, Jun 23, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    19,476
    Plato
    Jun 24, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page