retrieving data from an old hard drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Charlie, Oct 5, 2009.

  1. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    Have a friend who had a PC die. After all possible checks it was decided
    that the mb was the culprit.
    The old hard drive seems to be operable.

    I have one of those little adapters that lets you hook up to a pc's usb port
    and have the old HD show up as an external drive.
    I've done this before with no problems. Then I can copy jpgs docs etc to a
    flash drive or CD and move those files to a new system.

    Here's where it gets messy.
    When I set it up on my everyday pc, it never shows up as an external drive.
    The old drive was set up as CS and I moved the jumper to Master as required
    by the adapter.

    First step is to make sure the adapter has not gone south. Tried reading one
    of my old drives with backup data on it.
    No problem.

    Next step. I took an old system that was not in use and disconnected Its
    hard drive and hooked up the salvaged one. It booted the system. The problem
    here was good old M$ wnts to register beause XP does not recognize the new
    box and is afraid I am trying to cheat. That's ok, it showed the HD was
    alive and well.

    Next step. Restored the old box to working again by hooking up its original
    HD. Now I tried the adapter again, this time with this second PC.

    Again it is not recognized as an external drive.

    Suggestions?

    Charlie
    Charlie, Oct 5, 2009

  2. Charlie

    Mike Easter Guest

    Charlie wrote:

    > The old hard drive seems to be operable.

    > The old drive was set up as CS and I moved the jumper to Master
    > as required by the adapter.

    Physically install the hdd as a primary slave or cable select or
    secondary master or slave or cableselect into the system you are
    describing below instead of trying to use the USB adapter.

    I'm going to assume that everything is IDE here; the old hdd and the
    system below will have a primary and secondary IDE.

    > Next step. I took an old system that was not in use and disconnected
    > Its hard drive and hooked up the salvaged one.

    Use that old system but don't disconnect the 'main' boot hdd; leave it
    in place and use the IDE 'resources' of your old system. Typically that
    old system has 2 IDE connectors on the mobo and each of the connectors
    can accommodate 2 IDEs. How you do it depends on your cabling and
    connectors. You might have a cable on your old mobo with your hdd that
    is configured for either master and slave or for cable select. There is
    likely an IDE connector for the optical drive on your old system.

    > Next step. Restored the old box to working again by hooking up its
    > original HD. Now I tried the adapter again, this time with this second
    > PC.
    >
    > Again it is not recognized as an external drive.
    >
    > Suggestions?

    Get that IDE-USB adapter out of there and just hook up the drive
    directly to your old computer's mobo IDE connector/cable.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Oct 5, 2009

  3. Charlie

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 17:23:34 -0400, Charlie wrote:

    > Have a friend who had a PC die.

    Where would he like to have the wreath sent?

    > After all possible checks it was decided
    > that the mb was the culprit.

    Where would he like to have the police sent?

    > The old hard drive seems to be operable.

    Where would he like to have the surgeon sent?

    > I have one of those little adapters that lets you hook up to a pc's usb
    > port and have the old HD show up as an external drive.

    Where do you want the cable sent?

    > I've done this
    > before with no problems. Then I can copy jpgs docs etc to a flash drive
    > or CD and move those files to a new system.

    Where would you like the bill sent?

    > Here's where it gets messy.

    Where would you like the cleaners sent?

    > When I set it up on my everyday pc, it never shows up as an external
    > drive. The old drive was set up as CS and I moved the jumper to Master
    > as required by the adapter.

    Where would you like an expert sent?

    > First step is to make sure the adapter has not gone south.

    Where would you like a compass sent?

    > Tried reading
    > one of my old drives with backup data on it. No problem.

    Where would you like your spectacles sent?

    > Next step.

    Where would you like your Zimmer frame sent?

    > I took an old system that was not in use and disconnected
    > Its hard drive and hooked up the salvaged one. It booted the system. The
    > problem here was good old M$ wnts to register beause XP does not
    > recognize the new box and is afraid I am trying to cheat. That's ok, it
    > showed the HD was alive and well.

    Where would you like your medical bill sent?

    > Next step. Restored the old box to working again by hooking up its
    > original HD. Now I tried the adapter again, this time with this second
    > PC.

    Where would you like your twin sent?

    > Again it is not recognized as an external drive.

    Where would you like your recognition software sent?

    > Suggestions?

    Where would you like your suggestions sent?

    > Charlie

    Where would you like your....

    Ah! **** it.

    --
    Elmo McElroy: If I wanted cuisine, I'd have gone to Paris
    Felix DeSouza: You can still go to France. It's full of pricks. They hate
    Aardvark, Oct 6, 2009
  4. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    Hey Mike. That was right on the money. The old box I was using as a tester
    was set up for CS. I added the HD I was trying to salvage the files from.
    Off to "My Computer" and there it was as another local drive. Now to get off
    what my friend wants to recover. The new box she bought is a low end
    Wal-Mart deal and I doubt it has room for a second HD else I could just
    install it there permanently. It has the little label across the back that
    says "void if removed" so I don't even want to open it to look. If it were
    out of warranty, that would be a quick fix.

    It is always nice to get good advice that address the problem instead of the
    drivel by the children that hide behind the anonymity of the internet to
    waste time and bandwidth,

    So thanks for the assist.

    Charlie

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message

    (The rest deleted for brevity. The really curious can read the posts above)
    Charlie, Oct 7, 2009