    mcp6453 Guest

    Is it possible to use Outlook or a similar email client to retrieve mail
    from a free Yahoo account?

    mcp6453, Feb 24, 2004

  2. mcp6453

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    mcp6453 <> wrote in news::

    > Is it possible to use Outlook or a similar email client to retrieve mail
    > from a free Yahoo account?

    There is an open source project somewhere out there that lets you do this,
    but the name escapes me. Google for it, you should find something useful.
    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 24, 2004

  3. mcp6453

    Wizard Guest

    Yes. Yahoo has instructions on it's site (somewhere).

    Wizard, Feb 24, 2004
  4. Thanks to Wizard here are the instructions for setting up Yahoo Internet
    Email on Outlook Express ONLY. Once setup you can Import this information to
    Outlook 2000, XP, or 2003 versions.

    Outlook Express allows you to add a new email account to your existing
    profile. This means you do not have to replace your current settings in
    order to send and receive Yahoo! Mail messages. Here's how:
    1.. From the Tools menu, choose "Accounts."
    2.. Select the "Mail" tab.
    3.. Click the "Add" button.
    4.. From the Add menu, click "Mail."
    5.. In the text box labeled Display Name, type your name and click "Next."
    6.. In the Email Address box, type your Yahoo! Mail address (be sure to
    include "@yahoo.com") and click "Next."
    7.. Under "My incoming mail server is a..." select "POP3."
    8.. Type "pop.mail.yahoo.com" in the Incoming Mail (POP3, IMAP, or HTTP)
    Server box.
    9.. Type "smtp.mail.yahoo.com" in the Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server box.
    10.. Click "Next."
    11.. In the Account Name box, type your Yahoo! Mail ID (your email address
    without the "@yahoo.com").
    12.. In the Password box, type your Yahoo! Mail password.
    13.. If you want Outlook Express to remember your password, check the
    "Remember password" box.
    14.. Do not check the boxes labeled "Log on using Secure..."
    15.. Click "Next."
    16.. Click "Finish."
    Important: The Yahoo! Mail SMTP server now requires authentication. To turn
    this setting on:

    1.. From the Tools menu, choose "Accounts."
    2.. Select the "Mail" tab.
    3.. Double-click the account labeled "pop.mail.yahoo.com."
    4.. Select the "Servers" tab.
    5.. Check the box next to "My Server Requires Authentication."
    6.. Click "OK."
    To control deletion of messages from the Yahoo! Mail Server:

    1.. From the Tools menu, choose "Accounts."
    2.. Select the "Mail" tab.
    3.. Double-click the account labeled "pop.mail.yahoo.com."
    4.. Select the "Advanced" tab.
    5.. In the Delivery section at the bottom of the window, check "Leave a
    copy of messages on server" if you want to save your Yahoo! Mail messages on
    the Yahoo! Mail server as well as on your local computer. Do not check this
    box if you want your messages to be deleted from the Yahoo! Mail server once
    you have received them in Outlook Express.

    Carlis
    Computer Doctor

    Computer Doctor, Feb 24, 2004
  5. mcp6453

    Basket Case Guest

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to use Outlook or a similar email client to retrieve mail
    > from a free Yahoo account?

    No. You must subscribe to Mail Plus.

    -BC

    Basket Case, Feb 24, 2004
  6. mcp6453

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Computer Doctor" <> wrote in

    > Thanks to Wizard here are the instructions for setting up Yahoo
    > Internet Email on Outlook Express ONLY. Once setup you can Import this
    > information to Outlook 2000, XP, or 2003 versions.

    This doesn't work unless you have paid for an account with Yahoo to give
    you POP3 access.

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 24, 2004
  7. mcp6453

    Wizard Guest

    Nonsense!

    Wizard, Feb 24, 2004
  8. mcp6453

    Basket Case Guest

    "Wizard" <> wrote in message
    > Nonsense!
    >
    > Basket Case wrote:
    > >
    > > "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > > > Is it possible to use Outlook or a similar email client to retrieve

    mail
    > > > from a free Yahoo account?

    > > No. You must subscribe to Mail Plus.
    > >
    > > -BC

    Wizard,

    1) Stop top-posting
    2) http://mailplus.mail.yahoo.com/

    -BC

    Basket Case, Feb 24, 2004
  9. mcp6453

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Wizard <> wrote in news:403BC046.63F14612
    @stinking.ads.com:

    > Nonsense!

    It was nonsense a few years ago, yahoo has since dropped free POP and SMTP
    access.

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 25, 2004
  10. mcp6453

    Trent© Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:13:45 -0600, "Basket Case"
    <> wrote:

    >"mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    >> Is it possible to use Outlook or a similar email client to retrieve mail
    >> from a free Yahoo account?

    >No. You must subscribe to Mail Plus.
    >
    >-BC

    For a FREE account?

    I find that interesting.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 26, 2004
  11. mcp6453

    Trent© Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:00:09 -0600, "Basket Case"
    <> wrote:

    >"Wizard" <> wrote in message
    >> Nonsense!
    >>
    >> Basket Case wrote:
    >> >
    >> > "mcp6453" <> wrote in message

    >mail
    >> >
    >> > No. You must subscribe to Mail Plus.
    >> >
    >> > -BC

    >Wizard,
    >
    >1) Stop top-posting
    >2) http://mailplus.mail.yahoo.com/

    Your link says nothing about the free accounts.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 26, 2004
  12. mcp6453

    Trent© Guest

    On 25 Feb 2004 02:50:00 GMT, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    >Wizard <> wrote in news:403BC046.63F14612
    >@stinking.ads.com:
    >
    >> Nonsense!
    >>

    >It was nonsense a few years ago, yahoo has since dropped free POP and SMTP
    >access.

    But that wasn't the subject of the question.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 26, 2004
  13. mcp6453

    Bobby Guest

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to use Outlook or a similar email client to retrieve mail
    > from a free Yahoo account?

    Try googling for yahoopops, it works with the
    free account.

    HTH
    Bobby

    Bobby, Feb 26, 2004