    My problem is that my hard disk is giving that "clicking sound of death" and
    appears to have failed completely. My data is very important that is on it.
    Any ideas on how to retrieve data from a failed hard disk?

    osote, Oct 27, 2003

  2. osote

    Harrison Guest

    - remove drive from case
    - place drive into a glad FREEZER bag
    - with a straw suck out all the air you can and seal the bag
    - place bag with HD in your freezer for 1 hour
    - quickly remove the drive from the freezer bag and return it to your
    system
    - you should be able to quickly copy drive contents to another drive
    on your system.

    The reason why this works is because if the drive has totally seized;
    then, freezing it will cause the internal drive parts to very slightly
    contract allowing the platters and read arm to move freely.

    Harrison, Oct 27, 2003

  3. osote

    dr_hardware Guest

    "osote" <> wrote in message
    > Yes, I know I should have backed up critical data to some other medium but

    > didn't do that and I've already beat myself up for that so no one here

    needs
    > to do that.
    >
    > My problem is that my hard disk is giving that "clicking sound of death"

    and
    > appears to have failed completely. My data is very important that is on

    it.
    > Any ideas on how to retrieve data from a failed hard disk?

    If it's a IBM drive, the problem is on the controller card on the drive.
    Bad connection to the 4 pin power connection.

    dr_hardware, Oct 27, 2003
  4. osote

    hugh jass Guest

    Try SpinRite. (don't have the site right now, but do a google for it)
    good luck, hj

    --
    ______________________
    :

    hugh jass, Oct 27, 2003
  5. osote

    hugh jass Guest

    that's interesting - McGyver would be impressed!

    --
    ______________________
    "Harrison" <> wrote in message
[...]
    : >

    hugh jass, Oct 27, 2003
  6. osote

    dr_hardware Guest

    http://grc.com/spinrite.htm

    dr_hardware, Oct 27, 2003
  7. osote

    SgtMinor Guest

    Take a look: "200 ways to revive a hard drive"

    http://www.hddrecovery.com.au/downloads/200ways.pdf

    SgtMinor, Oct 27, 2003
  8. osote

    Guest

    Harrison <> wrote:

    >- remove drive from case
    >- place drive into a glad FREEZER bag
    >- with a straw suck out all the air you can and seal the bag
    >- place bag with HD in your freezer for 1 hour
    >- quickly remove the drive from the freezer bag and return it to your
    >system
    >- you should be able to quickly copy drive contents to another drive
    >on your system.
    >
    >The reason why this works is because if the drive has totally seized;
    >then, freezing it will cause the internal drive parts to very slightly
    >contract allowing the platters and read arm to move freely.
    >

    >On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 09:55:42 -0800, "osote" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Yes, I know I should have backed up critical data to some other medium but I
    >>didn't do that and I've already beat myself up for that so no one here needs
    >>to do that.
    >>
    >>My problem is that my hard disk is giving that "clicking sound of death" and
    >>appears to have failed completely. My data is very important that is on it.
    >>Any ideas on how to retrieve data from a failed hard disk?

    I have tried the Freezer trick on an IBM 60Gb HDD formatted on an XP
    PC as NTFS a couple of months ago. It was less than 2 yrs old and
    could no longer be booted from. Putting the drive in another PC as a
    slave allowed a few files to be read but that was all. The freezer
    trick didn't work but I tried Ontrack Easy Recovery Professional and
    was somewhat delighted to retrieve quite a bit of my data, some in the
    correct folders and also it put files in dummy folders.

    I would have no hesitation in using it again if needed.

    As for your Drive, it depends what the "click of death" means. My
    drive produced a regular pattern of softish clicks about every 5 secs.
    I assumed that there was a read problem and it was rereading the
    drive. When I tried the software it still made this noise but
    recovered the files very slowly. (Took about 1 WEEK non stop). Luckily
    I could do it in several chunks as the software allowed a restart from
    where it left off

    After I got what I could off the drive, I reformatted the drive and
    started copying test data on the drive but it was very slow. I sent it
    back the IBM (Hitachi) as luckily it was under guarantee and they
    should be sending a replacement.

    If you can get any data from the drive, I would try that software. I
    saw a comment about spinrite but AFAIK a NTFS version is not out yet

    I also had another drive that clicked (louder) once in a while but I
    think it may have been an electrical problem on the board. I doubt
    whether anything would have sorted that out apart from possibly
    replacing the PCB with one from another drive. I tried the freezer on
    this but to no avail.

    Sorry I've rambled a bit but hope this helps

    , Oct 29, 2003