    ago

    Maria

    , Jul 29, 2007

  2. Guest

    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I finished typing a word document, but forgot to save it, i went to
    >minimise it when i was accessing the internet, maybe i clicked on
    >close??? but there was no pop up to say if i wanted to save
    >document. i tried to go back to the document, but not there, then
    >went to the file tab to see if there was a trace of the last document?
    >nothing! have i lost it? or can I retrieve it! just happened a minute
    >ago

    If you have save backup every so many minutes you can retrieve it.

    You need to run recovery software http://tinyurl.com/gkktj and look
    for something like wasdfas.tmp in the temp directory or a word
    directory.

    It will end in .TMP and be dated about the time you wrote it.

    You might need to be able to view everything.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html#winxp

    --

    The 8 Strangest Communities on the Web
    http://www.cracked.com/index.php?name=News&sid=2271&pageid=2

    , Jul 29, 2007

  3. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:

    > I finished typing a word document, but forgot to save it, i went to
    > minimise it when i was accessing the internet, maybe i clicked on
    > close??? but there was no pop up to say if i wanted to save
    > document. i tried to go back to the document, but not there, then
    > went to the file tab to see if there was a trace of the last document?
    > nothing! have i lost it? or can I retrieve it! just happened a minute
    > ago

    Here's some advice someone gave that sounds pretty good for finding
    where Word saved an unsaved temporary doc

    // If you open Word, then go to TOOLS | OPTIONS, you will find a tab
    where you ca set file saving options. Amongst them will be a setting to
    tell WORD where to save TEMP files. By default it is under APPICATION
    DATA in your user settings. By looking at the default on your system
    you can determine which folder to look in for auto-saved files.
    Navigate to that directory with Windows explorer and sort your right
    side screen by DATE MODIFIED/ACCESSED and look for one of the strangely
    named temp files closest to the time/date of your crash. DOuble click
    that file and it will come up in Word where you can save it as you
    like.//

    Disregard the word 'crash' above and sub 'loss'.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 29, 2007
  4. Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> I finished typing a word document, but forgot to save it, i went to
    >> minimise it when i was accessing the internet, maybe i clicked on
    >> close??? but there was no pop up to say if i wanted to save
    >> document. i tried to go back to the document, but not there, then
    >> went to the file tab to see if there was a trace of the last document?
    >> nothing! have i lost it? or can I retrieve it! just happened a minute
    >> ago

    >Here's some advice someone gave that sounds pretty good for finding
    >where Word saved an unsaved temporary doc
    >
    >// If you open Word, then go to TOOLS | OPTIONS, you will find a tab
    >where you ca set file saving options. Amongst them will be a setting to
    >tell WORD where to save TEMP files. By default it is under APPICATION
    >DATA in your user settings. By looking at the default on your system
    >you can determine which folder to look in for auto-saved files.
    >Navigate to that directory with Windows explorer and sort your right
    >side screen by DATE MODIFIED/ACCESSED and look for one of the strangely
    >named temp files closest to the time/date of your crash. DOuble click
    >that file and it will come up in Word where you can save it as you
    >like.//
    >
    >Disregard the word 'crash' above and sub 'loss'.

    I don't use word,
    That sounds better than attempting a recovery.

    I did have to save a doc file off a floppy once (as a computer tutor
    at the college library) Undelete worked, and I was a 1 minute hero :)

    --
    Turn A PENCIL Into A LIGHT
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/726251/turn_a_pencil_into_a_light/

    , Jul 29, 2007
  5. advisor Guest

    Here's some advice that might help: www.word-recovery.info .

    advisor, Jul 31, 2007
  6. ProfGene Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I finished typing a word document, but forgot to save it, i went to
    > minimise it when i was accessing the internet, maybe i clicked on
    > close??? but there was no pop up to say if i wanted to save
    > document. i tried to go back to the document, but not there, then
    > went to the file tab to see if there was a trace of the last document?
    > nothing! have i lost it? or can I retrieve it! just happened a minute
    > ago
    >
    > Maria

    Some times temporary work is saved in a temporary file in places like
    Window's Temp but most likely it is gone.

    ProfGene, Sep 10, 2007
  7. ded Guest

    "ProfGene" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I finished typing a word document, but forgot to save it, i went to
    >> minimise it when i was accessing the internet, maybe i clicked on
    >> close??? but there was no pop up to say if i wanted to save
    >> document. i tried to go back to the document, but not there, then
    >> went to the file tab to see if there was a trace of the last document?
    >> nothing! have i lost it? or can I retrieve it! just happened a minute
    >> ago
    >>
    >> Maria
    >>

    > Some times temporary work is saved in a temporary file in places like
    > Window's Temp but most likely it is gone.

    To OP:
    Do you have Tweak UI installed?
    Until you answer, try this:
    Open word
    Click: File, a sort of click-on drop down menu appears
    Scroll to bottom of that menu and Check the "Recently used file list",
    it maybe there.

    ded, Sep 11, 2007