    A shop technician told me it was not possible to access the data
    because of Norton go-back. Is this correct?

    , May 28, 2007

  2. Guest

    On May 27, 10:04 pm, wrote:
    > My laptop is not working (battery and power issues) but the hard drive
    > is not damaged. I have Norton Works installed and was running Norton
    > Go Back. I placed the laptop's hard drive in a USB enclosure but could
    > not access the drive.
    >
    > A shop technician told me it was not possible to access the data
    > because of Norton go-back. Is this correct?

    Have you tired dumping the drive using Norton Ghost and then using
    Ghost Explorer to get the files?

    , May 28, 2007

  3. WhzzKdd Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > My laptop is not working (battery and power issues) but the hard drive
    > is not damaged. I have Norton Works installed and was running Norton
    > Go Back. I placed the laptop's hard drive in a USB enclosure but could
    > not access the drive.
    >
    > A shop technician told me it was not possible to access the data
    > because of Norton go-back. Is this correct?

    Try installing Norton Go-Back on the PC you are using to attempt to access
    the drive. IIRC, it should have a control application that allows you to
    select which drives are protected and which are not. It's been a long time
    since I used it, and I will NOT install it (even temporarily) on any PC in
    my possesion just to poke around to see what the options are.

    That still may not work because of the USB interface. In that case, you need
    a different adapter - one that allows you to plug the drive into the PC's
    IDE interface (internal).

    Hint: don't use Go Back. I've had more customers lose their data to that
    fracked-up software than to actual hard drive crashes.

    WhzzKdd, May 28, 2007
  4. R! Guest

    "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in

    > <> wrote in message
    >> My laptop is not working (battery and power issues) but the hard
    >> drive is not damaged. I have Norton Works installed and was running
    >> Norton Go Back. I placed the laptop's hard drive in a USB enclosure
    >> but could not access the drive.
    >>
    >> A shop technician told me it was not possible to access the data
    >> because of Norton go-back. Is this correct?
    >>

    > Try installing Norton Go-Back on the PC you are using to attempt to
    > access the drive. IIRC, it should have a control application that
    > allows you to select which drives are protected and which are not.
    > It's been a long time since I used it, and I will NOT install it (even
    > temporarily) on any PC in my possesion just to poke around to see what
    > the options are.
    >
    > That still may not work because of the USB interface. In that case,
    > you need a different adapter - one that allows you to plug the drive
    > into the PC's IDE interface (internal).
    >
    > Hint: don't use Go Back. I've had more customers lose their data to
    > that fracked-up software than to actual hard drive crashes.

    You have to get a program called gb_prog.exe.

    Go to this page and get Ngbboot.iso burn it to a CD and boot from it.

    http://service1.symantec.com/support/goback.nsf/8359612a9a2005b188256dc9
    0054882a/65fc20ff5295699e88256d19004be7ad?
    OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam&seg=ag

    Note watch the line wrap...

    R!!

    R!, May 29, 2007