Retraining as a web developer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by T, Nov 20, 2010.

  1. T

    T Guest

    I would like to learn web development from scratch to the point of passing a
    credible exam. I currently work in IT support. Can anyone recommend a self
    study guide and exam to aim for? I do appreciate that any exam passed may
    be of only limited help in the search for work.

    Thanks
    T, Nov 20, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. T

    Hot-Text Guest

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/aa937802.aspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/en/us/sitemap.aspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/expression/default.aspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/default.aspx
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbasic/default.aspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/
    http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/editions/developer.aspx




    "T" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I would like to learn web development from scratch to the point of passing
    > a credible exam. I currently work in IT support. Can anyone recommend a
    > self study guide and exam to aim for? I do appreciate that any exam
    > passed may be of only limited help in the search for work.
    >
    > Thanks
    Hot-Text, Nov 20, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. T wrote:

    > I would like to learn web development from scratch to the point of
    > passing a credible exam. I currently work in IT support. Can anyone
    > recommend a self study guide and exam to aim for? I do appreciate
    > that any exam passed may be of only limited help in the search for
    > work.


    Forget the Microsoft stuff.

    Start here, with this tutorial:
    http://htmldog.com/
    Learn to validate:
    http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator.html
    Use a good text editor. I like Bluefish:
    http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/
    it is multi-platform.
    Another good one is Crimson Editor (Windows only)
    Use an HTML 4.01 Strict doctype:
    http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html
    Subscribe to newsgroup alt.html when you have your first real question.
    Exams are worthless.

    --
    -bts
    -Four wheels carry the body; two wheels move the soul
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 20, 2010
    #3
  4. T

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 10:14:56 -0600, Big Steel wrote:

    > There is a lot more to Web development than what you are talking about.
    > And if the op doesn't know the basics in several areas in Web
    > development, the op has very little to no chance in landing a Web
    > development programming job.


    You mean like your chances of landing an IT job with the DoD?

    ....heh



    --
    Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse
    Meat Plow, Nov 20, 2010
    #4
  5. T

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Big Steel <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 17:56:50 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
    ><> wrote:
    >> > There is a lot more to Web development than what you are talking

    >about.
    >> > And if the op doesn't know the basics in several areas in Web
    >> > development, the op has very little to no chance in landing a Web
    >> > development programming job.



    >> You mean like your chances of landing an IT job with the DoD?



    >Look up AKO/DKO stupid and find out what it means. There are many
    >sub-networks on the DoD network. I have been on two if them
    >developing .Net intranet and internet Web based solutions. I am the
    >best there is there are none better. That's why I can go any where in
    >the world and get a job using my .Net expertise.


    >Also look up what a CAC card means stupid, because I have to use it
    >to get on the base, I have to use another card with code to get
    >through the door at the building I work in and I have to know the
    >door code to get through the door where my cubicle is located.


    >Then I login to my Vista .Net development machine that has access to
    >zone-b, then I have to logon to my Win 7 machine using the CAC card
    >and code to get on zone-a.


    > I can use no USB device on either machine, because of the security
    >issues the DoD had with USB devices. I can only burn DVD(s) if I have
    >to transfer files between machines on the network. I am admin on the
    >Vista machine due .Net development work.


    >I am not admin on my Win 7 machine, as they don't trust developers in
    >zone-a the production environment.


    >If I leave the country like on vacation or whatever, I have to turn
    >in an itinerary due to my top-secret security clearance.


    >There is this little safe on all the desks with a pad-lock on it with
    >a top-secret label on it. I have not asked about what's in the little
    >safe. I don't want to know.


    If you really worked with classified information you would have
    been taught to keep your mouth shut about it. That would have
    been not only the first lesson, but repeated often.

    Mike "I have my doubts, but not a need to know" Yetto
    --
    In theory, theory and practice are the same.
    In practice they are not.
    Mike Yetto, Nov 20, 2010
    #5
  6. T

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 06:55:25 -0600, The Old Sourdough wrote:

    > Big Steel mumbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    > snip
    >
    >> I got one eye on you now. :)

    >
    > You're down to one eye, now? How many fingers and toes?
    >
    > E-e-e-eghteen.......


    Hey! That's *my* schtick!

    :)

    --
    "En un lugar de la Mancha, de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme,
    no hace mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en
    astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor."
    -Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'
    Aardvark, Nov 21, 2010
    #6
  7. T

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 10:17:00 -0600, DUH-ane wrote:

    > SNIP FROTHY RANT


    N-n-n-n-nineteen.


    --
    "En un lugar de la Mancha, de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme,
    no hace mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en
    astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor."
    -Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'
    Aardvark, Nov 21, 2010
    #7
  8. T

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 10:43:02 -0600, DUH-ane wrote:

    > SNIP RANT


    N-n-n-n-nineteen.



    --
    "En un lugar de la Mancha, de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme,
    no hace mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en
    astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor."
    -Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'
    Aardvark, Nov 21, 2010
    #8
  9. T

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Big Steel <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 17:30:15 -0500, Mike Yetto
    ><> wrote:



    >> If you really worked with classified information you would have
    >> been taught to keep your mouth shut about it. That would have
    >> been not only the first lesson, but repeated often.


    >None of it is classified that I am talking about. And you would know
    >this if you were working on the DoD network.


    <snip>

    >I got one eye on you now. :)


    I was vetted and trained a long time ago and I know what is
    classified. I also know what information is considered sensitive
    and alluding to classified information or procedures on a global
    scale certainly seems to violate the spirit of secrecy.

    If you're not completely full of yourself and just trying to look
    important than there are probably eyes on you *right now*.

    Mike "can you say self aggrandizement?" Yetto
    --
    In theory, theory and practice are the same.
    In practice they are not.
    Mike Yetto, Nov 21, 2010
    #9
  10. T

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 11:37:28 -0600, DUH-ane wrote:

    > SNIP FOOT STAMP


    Watch out, DUH-ane, you might lose another toe stamping like that.

    N-n-n-n-nineteen.


    --
    "En un lugar de la Mancha, de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme,
    no hace mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en
    astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor."
    -Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'
    Aardvark, Nov 21, 2010
    #10
  11. T

    Old Gringo38 Guest

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 10:45:39 -0000, T wrote:

    > I would like to learn web development from scratch to the point of passing a
    > credible exam. I currently work in IT support. Can anyone recommend a self
    > study guide and exam to aim for? I do appreciate that any exam passed may
    > be of only limited help in the search for work.
    >
    > Thanks


    Maybe this will help:
    http://tinyurl.com/23feh73
    --
    11/21/2010 11:52:11 AM CST
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    Support Bacteria: It Is The Only Culture Some People Have
    Old Gringo38, Nov 21, 2010
    #11
  12. T

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Big Steel <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >I am going to call Billy the Exterminator and have him clean out the
    >home user cockroaches and vermin like you running around in
    >24hoursupport.helpdesk.


    >http://www.vexconinc.com/


    >This NG has become worthless with old crap like you and several other
    >pieces of old crap running around in it.


    >Don't you old clowns have any life? You old clowns need to roll away
    >from your computers in your wheelchairs and gurnies, roll out your
    >houses and go do something. Hell, you can even call an ambience and
    >take a trip --- go do something other than sit in front of your
    >computers like old crows on the fence.


    >It was a bad day for IT as a whole when they let home users start
    >using computers.


    I will take this as confirmation that you are only fourteen and
    posting from your bedroom.

    Mike "convince me otherwise" Yetto
    --
    In theory, theory and practice are the same.
    In practice they are not.
    Mike Yetto, Nov 21, 2010
    #12
  13. T

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Big Steel <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 12:53:34 -0500, Mike Yetto
    ><> wrote:


    >> I will take this as confirmation that you are only fourteen and
    >> posting from your bedroom.


    >Do you think I truly care about what you think? You are nobody. You
    >shouldn'n think that you are more than nobody.


    No, sorry, this did not convince me otherwise.

    Mike "tell him what he's won, Don Pardo" Yetto
    --
    In theory, theory and practice are the same.
    In practice they are not.
    Mike Yetto, Nov 21, 2010
    #13
  14. T

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 13:33:53 -0600, DUH-ane wrote:

    > SNIP CRAZY FROTH


    N-n-n-n-nineteen.

    > --
    > posted by a Win-Droid


    Very apt sig, DUH-ane. I like it.



    --
    "En un lugar de la Mancha, de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme,
    no hace mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en
    astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor."
    -Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'
    Aardvark, Nov 22, 2010
    #14
  15. T

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 17:29:32 -0600, DUH-ane wrote:

    > SNIP CLAPTRAP


    This always happens when you go meds-free for a while, DUH-ane.

    N-n-n-n-nineteen.



    --
    "En un lugar de la Mancha, de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme,
    no hace mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en
    astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor."
    -Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'
    Aardvark, Nov 22, 2010
    #15
  16. T

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 13:24:00 -0600, Big Steel wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 17:56:50 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow <>
    > wrote:
    >> > There is a lot more to Web development than what you are talking

    > about.
    >> > And if the op doesn't know the basics in several areas in Web
    >> > development, the op has very little to no chance in landing a Web
    >> > development programming job.

    >
    >
    >> You mean like your chances of landing an IT job with the DoD?

    >
    >
    > Look up AKO/DKO stupid and find out what it means. There are many
    > sub-networks on the DoD network. I have been on two if them developing
    > .Net intranet and internet Web based solutions. I am the best there is
    > there are none better. That's why I can go any where in the world and
    > get a job using my .Net expertise.
    >
    > Also look up what a CAC card means stupid, because I have to use it to
    > get on the base, I have to use another card with code to get through
    > the door at the building I work in and I have to know the door code to
    > get through the door where my cubicle is located.
    >
    > Then I login to my Vista .Net development machine that has access to
    > zone-b, then I have to logon to my Win 7 machine using the CAC card and
    > code to get on zone-a.
    >
    > I can use no USB device on either machine, because of the security
    > issues the DoD had with USB devices. I can only burn DVD(s) if I have to
    > transfer files between machines on the network. I am admin on the Vista
    > machine due .Net development work.
    >
    > I am not admin on my Win 7 machine, as they don't trust developers in
    > zone-a the production environment.
    >
    > If I leave the country like on vacation or whatever, I have to turn in
    > an itinerary due to my top-secret security clearance.
    >
    > There is this little safe on all the desks with a pad-lock on it with a
    > top-secret label on it. I have not asked about what's in the little
    > safe. I don't want to know.


    Nice rant. Good proof that I'm right.



    --
    Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse
    Meat Plow, Nov 22, 2010
    #16
  17. T

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 12:39:52 -0500, Mike Yetto wrote:

    > Big Steel <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >>On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 17:30:15 -0500, Mike Yetto <>
    >>wrote:

    >
    >
    >>> If you really worked with classified information you would have been
    >>> taught to keep your mouth shut about it. That would have been not
    >>> only the first lesson, but repeated often.

    >
    >>None of it is classified that I am talking about. And you would know
    >>this if you were working on the DoD network.

    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >>I got one eye on you now. :)

    >
    > I was vetted and trained a long time ago and I know what is classified.
    > I also know what information is considered sensitive and alluding to
    > classified information or procedures on a global scale certainly seems
    > to violate the spirit of secrecy.
    >
    > If you're not completely full of yourself and just trying to look
    > important than there are probably eyes on you *right now*.


    Exactly. Spouting off about being a DoD jobber just to brag here is not
    in the spirit of secrecy. If some of these posts were to be forwarded to
    the DoD I'm sure they wouldn't be very happy with someone yappin about
    it.




    --
    Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse
    Meat Plow, Nov 22, 2010
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Richard Antony Burton
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    6,533
    Richard Antony Burton
    Dec 18, 2003
  2. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9l?=
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    551
    Egghead
    Jul 21, 2005
  3. JD
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    1,458
    relic
    Jul 18, 2004
  4. pjn
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    3,184
  5. =?Utf-8?B?ampvcmRhbjk4?=

    Becoming a web developer/web designer...where to begin?

    =?Utf-8?B?ampvcmRhbjk4?=, Oct 4, 2007, in forum: Microsoft Certification
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    443
    =?Utf-8?B?ampvcmRhbjk4?=
    Oct 6, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page