Retirement

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by pcbutts1, Oct 5, 2003.

  1. pcbutts1

    pcbutts1 Guest

    pcbutts1, Oct 5, 2003

  2. pcbutts1

    Mistoffolees Guest

    pcbutts1 wrote:

    > Can somebody take a look at this and tell me in layman's terms what exactly
    > does it mean. No matter how many times I read it I can't understand it. It
    > is a PDF file. http://www.bc.edu/centers/crr/facts/jtf_6.pdf
    >
    > Thanks

    In a nutshell, first plan on working harder and longer. Second, find an alternative
    source to supplement Social Security upon retirement. Or, more succinctly, set
    up a primary retirement plan and consider Social Security as the supplemental
    plan. Third, the value of Social Security decreases as the size (and contribution)
    of the funding pool decreases and the expenses incurred by entitlements to the
    annuitants (e.g., Medicare Part B) increases. Or if one does not retire at age 65
    by 2003, then the curve has started on its down side.

    But you suspected this all along, right?
    Mistoffolees, Oct 5, 2003

  3. pcbutts1

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Yes, but the money they take out every week from my paycheck for Social
    Security only goes towards my retirement and mine only does it not? or do I
    also help others?

    pcbutts1, Oct 5, 2003
  4. pcbutts1

    Eugene Kent Guest

    The fee you pay into the Social Security plan goes into a general fund. You
    have to work a minimum amount of weeks, and there is a maximum that can be
    taken out. When you retire the years you contributed to the fund is
    averaged out and this is the scale that determines the monthly amount you
    receive.

    Eugene Kent, Oct 5, 2003
  5. pcbutts1

    Chris Guest

    I think it means your fucked mate!

    If you had to read that then your probably a victim. Work longer for less.
    Tough shit. Us babyboomers are picking up the tab now for all those hippies
    who are knocking off in their mid 50's.

    http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm

    Chris, Oct 6, 2003
  6. Howdy!

    "pcbutts1" <> wrote in message
    > Yes, but the money they take out every week from my paycheck for Social
    > Security only goes towards my retirement and mine only does it not? or do

    > also help others?

    Ha. Haha. Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

    *wipes tears from eyes* That was funny.

    You've been HAD. That money? Goes to the CURRENT suckers off of
    the Social (in)Security pool.

    It helps others, but won't be there when YOU retire.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Oct 6, 2003
  7. pcbutts1

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Well I am still a long way from retiring, but this issue popped up at work
    with a new company taking over a old contract and saying they will not honor
    retirement plans for workers who do not retire within the next 5 years.

    pcbutts1, Oct 6, 2003
  8. pcbutts1

    Greg M Guest

    They're talking about in-house retirement plans. They can't change
    anything as far as SS.

    Greg M, Oct 6, 2003
  9. pcbutts1

    frogwarts Guest

    pc - the only thing I can surmise is that if you have not made good
    decisions early on you are probably going to suffer financial deprivation -
    short rations. I can tell you what I did and at those times what I did was
    purely serendipitous
    occasions. You might pass the gist of this on to younger members of your
    family. At 17 I could find nothing and I would have jumped at a
    burgerflippers job then. I enlisted in military service, retiring at 38, I
    looked around and found that people who had good jobs, homes and new cars
    had one thing I did not have - and education. I had a wife and 3 sons still
    in school but I enrolled in college. My wife went to work, I dug ditches,
    pumped septic tanks, helped movers and anything else I could to earn enough
    to feed and maintain my family. At graduation I was hired by the Treasury
    Department, US Customs and retired from that service a few years ago.I could
    never have did this if I had not entered the military and acquired enough
    common sense to labor very hard for an education ( my major was Forestry but
    I never worked a day as a forester - the fact that I acquired the education
    was enough for US Customs to hire me at entry level)
    With military, civil service and SS I have no financial problems in
    retirement. The basis for this information is to plainly state that in
    today's world to ensure your independence you must start early, plan far
    ahead and become an absolutely a straight arrow. Do not rely on anyone,
    anything other than yourself. Starting late in life with no solid plan is
    almost a certain recipe for disaster.

    frogwarts, Oct 6, 2003
  10. pcbutts1

    Richard Guest

    pcbutts1 wrote:

    > Yes, but the money they take out every week from my paycheck for
    > Social
    > Security only goes towards my retirement and mine only does it not? or
    > do I
    > also help others?

    Your tax money is paid to social security as a whole. You do not have a
    special fund set aside just for you.
    That's why SS sucks. To many people who never paid into it reap the benefits
    of your tax money.
    Richard, Oct 6, 2003
  11. pcbutts1

    pcbutts1 Guest