Retailer roundup

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by dhgbayne@gmail.com, Oct 5, 2006.

  1. Guest

    A week ago, on Wednesday the 27th September, I decided that I wanted a
    new MP3 player. I contacted a range of NZ retailers electronically
    (some by email, some by posting messages through their websites) and
    presented my requirements, asking whether they stocked anything
    suitable.

    Some retailers were better than others; some failed to respond
    entirely, while others responded promptly & with helpful advice.
    Ultimately, it turned out that none of the retailers stocked a suitable
    product, as my requirements were very demanding. That's fine, though -
    what bothered me was the level of service I received from some of them.

    In a nutshell:

    - Elive and Ascent were excellent

    - Dick Smith Electronics was good

    - PCTronix was not very helpful

    - Bond and Bond, QMB and GamePlanet didn't bother responding to my
    inquiry

    - Noel Leeming did respond, and the result was actually worse than if
    they hadn't bothered

    - QMB chucked a hissy fit because I said I was annoyed by their lack
    of response

    I have written up the responses I received from the various retailers,
    as well as their responses to my roundup, on my blog:

    http://www.fluidscape.co.nz/?q=node/32
    , Oct 5, 2006

  2. Flintstone Guest

    wrote:
    > A week ago, on Wednesday the 27th September, I decided that I wanted a
    > new MP3 player. I contacted a range of NZ retailers electronically
    > (some by email, some by posting messages through their websites) and
    > presented my requirements, asking whether they stocked anything
    > suitable.

    So what are you looking for? I take it, it has to run on Linux as being
    one factor?
    Flintstone, Oct 6, 2006

  3. Flintstone Guest

    Flintstone wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> A week ago, on Wednesday the 27th September, I decided that I wanted a
    >> new MP3 player. I contacted a range of NZ retailers electronically
    >> (some by email, some by posting messages through their websites) and
    >> presented my requirements, asking whether they stocked anything
    >> suitable.

    > So what are you looking for? I take it, it has to run on Linux as being
    > one factor?

    Nevermind answering the above, I found what you require on your site.

    My SambaAV available from Dick Smith does some of what you want, but not
    sure about the playlists. When it mounts as a device under windows,
    there is a playlist folder option. Through settings you also have the
    option of making it a usb drive, media device, or multi drive.

    It also resumes playback from the song playing when turned off and then
    turned on, likewise when going out into settings etc and then going back
    into the audio section.

    It also plays ogg and mp3pro though these arent listed as playable in
    the manual. Along with the other standard files, e.g wma, mp3.
    Flintstone, Oct 6, 2006
  4. Earl Grey Guest

    wrote:
    > A week ago, on Wednesday the 27th September, I decided that I wanted a
    > new MP3 player. I contacted a range of NZ retailers electronically
    > (some by email, some by posting messages through their websites) and
    > presented my requirements, asking whether they stocked anything
    > suitable.
    >
    > Some retailers were better than others; some failed to respond
    > entirely, while others responded promptly & with helpful advice.
    > Ultimately, it turned out that none of the retailers stocked a suitable
    > product, as my requirements were very demanding. That's fine, though -
    > what bothered me was the level of service I received from some of them.
    >

    > In a nutshell:
    >
    > - Elive and Ascent were excellent
    >
    > - Dick Smith Electronics was good
    >
    > - PCTronix was not very helpful
    >
    > - Bond and Bond, QMB and GamePlanet didn't bother responding to my
    > inquiry
    >
    > - Noel Leeming did respond, and the result was actually worse than if
    > they hadn't bothered
    >
    > - QMB chucked a hissy fit because I said I was annoyed by their lack
    > of response
    >
    > I have written up the responses I received from the various retailers,
    > as well as their responses to my roundup, on my blog:
    >
    > http://www.fluidscape.co.nz/?q=node/32

    The problem with devices that simply mount as storage is that they
    usually just navigate by a file tree.
    IMHO an ipod nano is definitely the best choice for a podcast listener.
    If you install sharepod, you can copy content back to the pc
    Earl Grey, Oct 6, 2006
  5. -=rjh=- Guest

    Earl Grey wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> A week ago, on Wednesday the 27th September, I decided that I wanted a
    >> new MP3 player. I contacted a range of NZ retailers electronically
    >> (some by email, some by posting messages through their websites) and
    >> presented my requirements, asking whether they stocked anything
    >> suitable.
    >>
    >> Some retailers were better than others; some failed to respond
    >> entirely, while others responded promptly & with helpful advice.
    >> Ultimately, it turned out that none of the retailers stocked a suitable
    >> product, as my requirements were very demanding. That's fine, though -
    >> what bothered me was the level of service I received from some of them.
    >>

    >> In a nutshell:
    >>
    >> - Elive and Ascent were excellent
    >>
    >> - Dick Smith Electronics was good
    >>
    >> - PCTronix was not very helpful
    >>
    >> - Bond and Bond, QMB and GamePlanet didn't bother responding to my
    >> inquiry
    >>
    >> - Noel Leeming did respond, and the result was actually worse than if
    >> they hadn't bothered
    >>
    >> - QMB chucked a hissy fit because I said I was annoyed by their lack
    >> of response
    >>
    >> I have written up the responses I received from the various retailers,
    >> as well as their responses to my roundup, on my blog:
    >>
    >> http://www.fluidscape.co.nz/?q=node/32
    >>

    > The problem with devices that simply mount as storage is that they
    > usually just navigate by a file tree.
    > IMHO an ipod nano is definitely the best choice for a podcast listener.
    > If you install sharepod, you can copy content back to the pc

    Sansa e200 series can mount as storage but navigate by tags, I assume
    some others may be able to do this. Seems like the best of both worlds.
    Can also be mounted as a Windows Media device, accessed through WMP - if
    that floats your boat.

    The point the OP raises in his requirements about pausing/resume in the
    middle of podcasts etc is quite important, much of my audio and podcasts
    are well over an hour long.
    -=rjh=-, Oct 6, 2006
  6. Diogenes Guest

    Flintstone wrote:

    > My SambaAV available from Dick Smith does some of what you want, but not
    > sure about the playlists. When it mounts as a device under windows,
    > there is a playlist folder option. Through settings you also have the
    > option of making it a usb drive, media device, or multi drive.
    >
    > It also resumes playback from the song playing when turned off and then
    > turned on, likewise when going out into settings etc and then going back
    > into the audio section.
    >
    > It also plays ogg and mp3pro though these arent listed as playable in
    > the manual. Along with the other standard files, e.g wma, mp3.

    So it plays mp3pro files as mp3s or as mp3pros? Impressed also that it
    is hi-speed! My 2GB MP4 off TradeMe at about the $same doesn't do that.
    Good choice Flint
    Diogenes, Oct 6, 2006
  7. Jack Hammond Guest

    On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 12:49:37 +1300, Flintstone <> wrote:

    >Flintstone wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> A week ago, on Wednesday the 27th September, I decided that I wanted a
    >>> new MP3 player. I contacted a range of NZ retailers electronically
    >>> (some by email, some by posting messages through their websites) and
    >>> presented my requirements, asking whether they stocked anything
    >>> suitable.

    >> So what are you looking for? I take it, it has to run on Linux as being
    >> one factor?

    >Nevermind answering the above, I found what you require on your site.
    >
    >My SambaAV available from Dick Smith does some of what you want, but not
    >sure about the playlists. When it mounts as a device under windows,
    >there is a playlist folder option. Through settings you also have the
    >option of making it a usb drive, media device, or multi drive.

    Seems that you don't know much about OLED Displays, they only have a 2 Year life span..

    Jack Hammond, Oct 6, 2006
  8. Jack Hammond Guest

    On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 14:18:25 +1300, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    >Earl Grey wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> A week ago, on Wednesday the 27th September, I decided that I wanted a
    >>> new MP3 player. I contacted a range of NZ retailers electronically
    >>> (some by email, some by posting messages through their websites) and
    >>> presented my requirements, asking whether they stocked anything
    >>> suitable.
    >>>
    >>> Some retailers were better than others; some failed to respond
    >>> entirely, while others responded promptly & with helpful advice.
    >>> Ultimately, it turned out that none of the retailers stocked a suitable
    >>> product, as my requirements were very demanding. That's fine, though -
    >>> what bothered me was the level of service I received from some of them.
    >>>

    >>> In a nutshell:
    >>>
    >>> - Elive and Ascent were excellent
    >>>
    >>> - Dick Smith Electronics was good
    >>>
    >>> - PCTronix was not very helpful
    >>>
    >>> - Bond and Bond, QMB and GamePlanet didn't bother responding to my
    >>> inquiry
    >>>
    >>> - Noel Leeming did respond, and the result was actually worse than if
    >>> they hadn't bothered
    >>>
    >>> - QMB chucked a hissy fit because I said I was annoyed by their lack
    >>> of response
    >>>
    >>> I have written up the responses I received from the various retailers,
    >>> as well as their responses to my roundup, on my blog:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.fluidscape.co.nz/?q=node/32
    >>>

    >> The problem with devices that simply mount as storage is that they
    >> usually just navigate by a file tree.
    >> IMHO an ipod nano is definitely the best choice for a podcast listener.
    >> If you install sharepod, you can copy content back to the pc

    >Sansa e200 series can mount as storage but navigate by tags, I assume
    >some others may be able to do this. Seems like the best of both worlds.
    >Can also be mounted as a Windows Media device, accessed through WMP - if
    >that floats your boat.
    >
    >The point the OP raises in his requirements about pausing/resume in the
    >middle of podcasts etc is quite important, much of my audio and podcasts
    >are well over an hour long.

    May be a PSP will fit his needs..?
    Jack Hammond, Oct 6, 2006
  9. Jack Hammond Guest

    On 5 Oct 2006 18:54:48 -0700, "Diogenes" <> wrote:

    >Flintstone wrote:
    >
    >> My SambaAV available from Dick Smith does some of what you want, but not
    >> sure about the playlists. When it mounts as a device under windows,
    >> there is a playlist folder option. Through settings you also have the
    >> option of making it a usb drive, media device, or multi drive.
    >>
    >> It also resumes playback from the song playing when turned off and then
    >> turned on, likewise when going out into settings etc and then going back
    >> into the audio section.
    >>
    >> It also plays ogg and mp3pro though these arent listed as playable in
    >> the manual. Along with the other standard files, e.g wma, mp3.

    >So it plays mp3pro files as mp3s or as mp3pros? Impressed also that it
    >is hi-speed! My 2GB MP4 off TradeMe at about the $same doesn't do that.
    >Good choice Flint

    Not so good has a OLED Display..
    Jack Hammond, Oct 6, 2006
  10. Fred Dagg Guest

    On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 15:08:54 +1300, Jack Hammond <jm@yah***.com
    exclaimed:

    >On 5 Oct 2006 18:54:48 -0700, "Diogenes" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Flintstone wrote:
    >>
    >>> My SambaAV available from Dick Smith does some of what you want, but not
    >>> sure about the playlists. When it mounts as a device under windows,
    >>> there is a playlist folder option. Through settings you also have the
    >>> option of making it a usb drive, media device, or multi drive.
    >>>
    >>> It also resumes playback from the song playing when turned off and then
    >>> turned on, likewise when going out into settings etc and then going back
    >>> into the audio section.
    >>>
    >>> It also plays ogg and mp3pro though these arent listed as playable in
    >>> the manual. Along with the other standard files, e.g wma, mp3.

    >>So it plays mp3pro files as mp3s or as mp3pros? Impressed also that it
    >>is hi-speed! My 2GB MP4 off TradeMe at about the $same doesn't do that.
    >>Good choice Flint

    >Not so good has a OLED Display..

    OLED displays? They rule.

    Next to no batteries, and great visibility.
    Fred Dagg, Oct 6, 2006
  11. Jack Hammond Guest

    On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 16:25:07 +1300, Fred Dagg <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 15:08:54 +1300, Jack Hammond <jm@yah***.com
    >exclaimed:

    >>>So it plays mp3pro files as mp3s or as mp3pros? Impressed also that it
    >>>is hi-speed! My 2GB MP4 off TradeMe at about the $same doesn't do that.
    >>>Good choice Flint

    >>Not so good has a OLED Display..
    >>

    >OLED displays? They rule.
    >
    >Next to no batteries, and great visibility.

    No they do not as they have a very short life..

    2 Years have been quoted..
    Jack Hammond, Oct 6, 2006
  12. Fred Dagg Guest

    On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 19:04:04 +1300, Jack Hammond <jm@yah***.com
    exclaimed:

    >>>Not so good has a OLED Display..
    >>>

    >>OLED displays? They rule.
    >>
    >>Next to no batteries, and great visibility.

    >No they do not as they have a very short life..
    >
    >2 Years have been quoted..

    So the Crap(TM) Mark, then?

    Excellent. Might have to go and buy one...
    Fred Dagg, Oct 6, 2006
  13. Flintstone Guest

    Diogenes wrote:
    > Flintstone wrote:
    >
    >> My SambaAV available from Dick Smith does some of what you want, but not
    >> sure about the playlists. When it mounts as a device under windows,
    >> there is a playlist folder option. Through settings you also have the
    >> option of making it a usb drive, media device, or multi drive.
    >>
    >> It also resumes playback from the song playing when turned off and then
    >> turned on, likewise when going out into settings etc and then going back
    >> into the audio section.
    >>
    >> It also plays ogg and mp3pro though these arent listed as playable in
    >> the manual. Along with the other standard files, e.g wma, mp3.

    > So it plays mp3pro files as mp3s or as mp3pros? Impressed also that it
    > is hi-speed! My 2GB MP4 off TradeMe at about the $same doesn't do that.
    > Good choice Flint

    It plays them as mp3's, well thats what comes up on the screen. Most of
    my music is converted to 96kbs but still sounds like 192kbs for example.
    Flintstone, Oct 6, 2006