    custom pcs i purchase an OS cd that a normal consumer would purchase.
    Isn't there a special retail license or the likes to get a deal on
    OS's? I'm installing XP home and pro mostly.

    ajjr, Sep 27, 2004

  2. ajjr

    Jim Berwick Guest

    (ajjr) wrote in
    news::

    > Is there a special license or distribution rule for selling custom
    > pcs? I have a computer business and i build custom pcs. when i build
    > custom pcs i purchase an OS cd that a normal consumer would purchase.
    > Isn't there a special retail license or the likes to get a deal on
    > OS's? I'm installing XP home and pro mostly.

    It would probably be cheaper to get some type of OEM bulk licensing deal.

    Jim Berwick, Sep 27, 2004

  3. ajjr

    Bradley26 Guest

    yes, if you build custom PCs there is probably some safety regulation for
    the 120AC power line, anything that plugs into household power must be safe,
    or you can get sued

    if you are selling computers with an operating system, what you MAY NOT DO?

    what is ILLEGAL? is for a person to buy Microsoft Windows XP at the store
    for $300 or whatever, then use that single copy in different machines and
    sell machines with XP, telling the customer its "got Microsoft Windows" as a
    selling feature.

    If you do this? you can lose your business and go to jail

    each computer you sell must have its own copy assigned to that one computer,
    you must sell a system CD to the customer.

    anyone who sells a computer with Microsoft Windows operating systems, and
    does so from their personal single use copy has committed a crime, and can
    be sued, whether local or federal, its a fraud, and its a violation of
    strict terms of the end user license agreement (EULA)

    If you are selling computers with Microsoft Windows operating systems, you
    must contact them for information on how to package and re-sell their
    operating systems and the licenses to the customer

    When customers have problems, (during some warranty time) they expect free
    service, they didnt buy a machine to pay you to play around and try to
    figure it out, either it works or you pay to make it work.

    (if a system breaks or wears out outside of warranty, then the customer
    pays $)

    Bradley26, Sep 28, 2004
  4. ajjr

    Thor Guest

    > each computer you sell must have its own copy assigned to that one
    > computer,
    > you must sell a system CD to the customer.

    No, not always. Only the license and product key itself has to be provided
    to the customer along with an installed OS. Extra media (separate
    installation CD) is not necessarily required. The installed software as it
    exists on the harddrive is acceptable as a "copy" provided to the customer.
    There are brands (including HP) that sell the OS installed with no extra
    media, and fully legal at that. It may be a pain to the customer, and a
    crappy practice, but it's not illegal. When you buy bulk licenses from MS,
    the media is treated separately. What is illegal is for the builder/reseller
    to retain a copy of the OS without a corresponding license. For example, If
    I purchased an OEM copy of XP complete with license and preinstalled onto a
    new machine I sold to a customer, I wouldn't be obligated to provide the CD
    to the customer. Just the license for the installed copy. The legal issues
    arise from me retaining a copy of the software with no corresponding license
    of my own. You must have a *license* for each copy of the software you
    possess, not necessarily a copy of the software for each license you
    possess.

    > anyone who sells a computer with Microsoft Windows operating systems, and
    > does so from their personal single use copy has committed a crime, and can
    > be sued, whether local or federal, its a fraud, and its a violation of
    > strict terms of the end user license agreement (EULA)
    >
    > If you are selling computers with Microsoft Windows operating systems, you
    > must contact them for information on how to package and re-sell their
    > operating systems and the licenses to the customer

    No, you can just buy OEM versions distributed via authorized MS software
    channels , and sell them with a computer or parts thereof. There is no need
    to "contact" MS in order to be an OEM builder/seller. They provide the bulk
    OEM versions for this purpose.

    Thor, Sep 28, 2004
  5. ajjr

    Bradley26 Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > > each computer you sell must have its own copy assigned to that one
    > > computer,
    > > you must sell a system CD to the customer.

    > No, not always. Only the license and product key itself has to be provided
    > to the customer along with an installed OS. Extra media (separate
    > installation CD) is not necessarily required. The installed software as it
    > exists on the harddrive is acceptable as a "copy" provided to the

    customer.
    > There are brands (including HP) that sell the OS installed with no extra
    > media, and fully legal at that. It may be a pain to the customer, and a
    > crappy practice, but it's not illegal. When you buy bulk licenses from MS,
    > the media is treated separately. What is illegal is for the

    builder/reseller
    > to retain a copy of the OS without a corresponding license. For example,

    If
    > I purchased an OEM copy of XP complete with license and preinstalled onto

    > new machine I sold to a customer, I wouldn't be obligated to provide the

    CD
    > to the customer. Just the license for the installed copy.

    okay but I said system CD, the license was implied. If the customer has a
    disk crash, but paid for the Windows, does the customer have any right to re
    install without buying the Windows again?

    The legal issues
    > arise from me retaining a copy of the software with no corresponding

    license
    > of my own. You must have a *license* for each copy of the software you
    > possess, not necessarily a copy of the software for each license you
    > possess.
    >

    > > anyone who sells a computer with Microsoft Windows operating systems,

    and
    > > does so from their personal single use copy has committed a crime, and

    can
    > > be sued, whether local or federal, its a fraud, and its a violation of
    > > strict terms of the end user license agreement (EULA)
    > >
    > > If you are selling computers with Microsoft Windows operating systems,

    you
    > > must contact them for information on how to package and re-sell their
    > > operating systems and the licenses to the customer

    > No, you can just buy OEM versions distributed via authorized MS software
    > channels , and sell them with a computer or parts thereof. There is no

    need
    > to "contact" MS in order to be an OEM builder/seller. They provide the

    bulk
    > OEM versions for this purpose.

    I was speaking about this particular person, it may be you are speaking
    about people in general? Contact Microsoft, semantics here, I dont mean
    register yourself, but at least get the story from Microsoft on what their
    rules are today.

    I heard that if you get stopped by a cop for speeding on the freeway? if the
    officer stops as fast or faster than you? then you cant get a ticket. but
    if youre stopping and go faster then him? they can give you the ticket.

    bottom line is the Windows operating system is "an entity" thats licensed
    and has value. people sometimes use their copy to install windows, sell the
    machine and charge the customer for what amounts to an illegal install, then
    when something happens, want to charge them again for service.

    Bradley26, Sep 28, 2004
  6. ajjr

    Thor Guest

    "Bradley26" <> wrote in message

    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> > each computer you sell must have its own copy assigned to that one
    >> > computer,
    >> > you must sell a system CD to the customer.

    >> No, not always. Only the license and product key itself has to be
    >> provided
    >> to the customer along with an installed OS. Extra media (separate
    >> installation CD) is not necessarily required. The installed software as
    >> it
    >> exists on the harddrive is acceptable as a "copy" provided to the

    > customer.
    >> There are brands (including HP) that sell the OS installed with no extra
    >> media, and fully legal at that. It may be a pain to the customer, and a
    >> crappy practice, but it's not illegal. When you buy bulk licenses from
    >> MS,
    >> the media is treated separately. What is illegal is for the

    > builder/reseller
    >> to retain a copy of the OS without a corresponding license. For example,

    > If
    >> I purchased an OEM copy of XP complete with license and preinstalled onto

    >> new machine I sold to a customer, I wouldn't be obligated to provide the

    > CD
    >> to the customer. Just the license for the installed copy.

    > okay but I said system CD, the license was implied. If the customer has a
    > disk crash, but paid for the Windows, does the customer have any right to
    > re
    > install without buying the Windows again?

    Legal right? Likely No. Just ask the poor HP customers who never even got a
    recovery disk. You paid for the license and a copy of the program/os. The
    installed program/os constitutes a "copy", unless the license specifically
    states otherwise. What if your CD copy was destroyed? Would you have the
    right to ask for another at no charge? Same difference. If the system was
    under warranty, that would change things entirely, but out of warranty, a
    hardrive crash is really no different than a CD drive chewing up your
    Windows CD.

    > I was speaking about this particular person, it may be you are speaking
    > about people in general? Contact Microsoft, semantics here, I dont mean
    > register yourself, but at least get the story from Microsoft on what their
    > rules are today.

    I've no disagreement with that. But it is not mandatory to make arrangements
    with MS in order to legally sell their products as a retailer. That's the
    point I was making.

    Thor, Sep 28, 2004
  7. ajjr

    David Guest

    (ajjr) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Is there a special license or distribution rule for selling custom
    > pcs? I have a computer business and i build custom pcs. when i build
    > custom pcs i purchase an OS cd that a normal consumer would purchase.
    > Isn't there a special retail license or the likes to get a deal on
    > OS's? I'm installing XP home and pro mostly.

    If I was selling custom built computer with windows on a fairly
    small scale I would just purchase OEM copies and furnish
    the customer with the cd and sn and charge accordingly (about
    88.00 US for xp home). I believe multiple oem copies is
    even cheaper (10 copies or more). If I were selling a large
    amount of custom built computers I would contact microsoft
    to try to get a better deal on the oem licenses. I would NEVER
    sell a pc without an actual oem windows cd though. This is why
    I would NEVER purchase a computer that does not come with an oem
    copy of windows ie Dell etc. Just my opinion.
    Best wishes..
    Dave

    David, Sep 29, 2004
  8. ajjr

    Trent© Guest

    On 26 Sep 2004 21:44:05 -0700, (ajjr) wrote:

    >Is there a special license or distribution rule for selling custom
    >pcs?

    If you sell retail, you need a license from the state to collect the
    sales tax.

    > I have a computer business and i build custom pcs.

    Then, more than likely, you have this license already...along with
    liability insurance.

    >when i build
    >custom pcs i purchase an OS cd that a normal consumer would purchase.
    >Isn't there a special retail license or the likes to get a deal on
    >OS's?

    Not really. Most suppliers simply give a volume discount. Unlike
    many trades, most suppliers don't require proof of a sales tax
    collection certificate.

    And you are exempt on paying sales tax on your purchases, of
    course...since you collect and pay sales tax on your retail sales.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Oct 1, 2004