Result of complaint to jamster.com.au

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bruce Sinclair, Jun 15, 2005.

  1. In article <42afc05d$>, Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:
    >Hi there,
    >I sent a nicely worded (for me) email to jamster.com.au to
    >complain about their banner ads activating a sample of Axel
    >F on only a mouseover action, not a click...which is proving
    >a real nuisance on a few websites I regularly use...
    >
    >Here is their response...
    >
    >"You are seeing these ads because you have received software free of charge
    >through an Auroradistributor. To support your free software and to help
    >keep the product free, please do not uninstall Aurora. Aurorais not
    >"spyware," does not collect any personal information about you, and is
    >not malicious."
    >
    >They then give me a link explaining how to disable 'Aurorais'...of
    >course running Linux means a) I don't have it, and b) I therefore
    >cannot uninstall it, because of a)... :)
    >
    >Thats complete bollocks, because the banner ads are just shockwave
    >anims that activate a sound sample if you move your pointer over them.
    >They've ignored the issue, and provided a useless answer. I'm wondering
    >what kind of response I should send...anyone got anything they'd suggest
    >I say to them in reply? :)
    >
    >I've figured out how to block their ads, so anyone with linux wanna do
    >the same just holler and I'll post the answer...

    Post it anyway. Someone will care eventually :)

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 15, 2005

  2. Hi there,

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jun 15, 2005

  3. Bruce Sinclair

    Richard Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I sent a nicely worded (for me) email to jamster.com.au to
    > complain about their banner ads activating a sample of Axel
    > F on only a mouseover action, not a click...which is proving
    > a real nuisance on a few websites I regularly use...

    Its the same one that was at the bottom of MSN messanger when I had my country
    set as NZ - problem was, if the soundcard wasnt available it made the whole
    messenger window lock up till the soundcard was available.

    Richard, Jun 15, 2005
  4. Hi there,

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <42afc05d$>, Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>I sent a nicely worded (for me) email to jamster.com.au to
    >>complain about their banner ads
    >>
    >>I've figured out how to block their ads, so anyone with linux wanna do
    >>the same just holler and I'll post the answer...

    > Post it anyway. Someone will care eventually :)

    I was hoping no-one would care, then I wouldn't have to post the
    link to the solution... :)

    Anyway, here it is...

    http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~atman/spam/adblock.shtml

    The list on that site can have these 2...

    127.0.0.1 media.fastclick.net
    127.0.0.1 oascentral.artistdirect.com

    ....appended into /etc/hosts, and...

    media.fastclick.net oascentral.artistdirect.com

    ....to the 'No proxy for:' list in your browser, since those
    two were not in the original list, and are the two most
    common sites I get jamster sent from...

    There are plenty more sites that send banners, so just keep
    appending new sites into /etc/hosts and the 'No proxy for'
    lists, and banner free browsing is a reality! :)

    Chris Wilkinson, Jun 15, 2005
  5. Hi there,

    Richard wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> I sent a nicely worded (for me) email to jamster.com.au to
    >> complain about their banner ads activating a sample of Axel
    >> F on only a mouseover action, not a click...which is proving
    >> a real nuisance on a few websites I regularly use...

    > Its the same one that was at the bottom of MSN messanger when I had my
    > country set as NZ - problem was, if the soundcard wasnt available it
    > made the whole messenger window lock up till the soundcard was available.

    I've wished the end of that frog for some time now...my
    reply to Bruce Sinclair shows I've hopefully achieved
    that for myself now... :)

    Chris Wilkinson, Jun 15, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:

    >http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~atman/spam/adblock.shtml

    You know, why does everybody have to keep manually updating their
    /etc/hosts file? There's potentially a better way, if someone were to
    write an nss module.

    For systems using glibc (i.e. all the Linux distros I'm aware of),
    various kinds of lookups are controlled by /etc/nsswitch.conf. These
    typically have a line like this:

    hosts: files dns

    "hosts" refers to DNS lookups through standard runtime routines like
    gethostbyname(3) etc. The keywords after the colon are actually derived
    from the names of sharable libraries of the form /lib/libnss_xxx.so:
    thus, /lib/libnss_files.so and /lib/libnss_dns.so for the above example.

    It should be possible for someone to write a module, say it's called
    /lib/libnss_adblock.so, which when invoked, queries a central database
    to find a list of blacklisted names which are to be mapped to the
    address 127.0.0.1. Then you simply modify the above config line to read:

    hosts: files adblock dns

    (might as well continue to keep "files" first on the list of
    alternatives) Simple! No need to keep updating your hosts file after
    that.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 15, 2005
  7. Hi there,

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~atman/spam/adblock.shtml

    > You know, why does everybody have to keep manually updating their
    > /etc/hosts file? There's potentially a better way, if someone were to
    > write an nss module.

    I agree. Would save a lot of mucking around, but I wouldn't expect
    the browser authors to come up with it, since they probably rely on
    banner adverts for a sizeable proportion of their income...

    Chris Wilkinson, Jun 15, 2005
  8. In article <>, Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:
    >Hi there,
    >
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <42afc05d$>, Chris Wilkinson

    > <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi there,
    >>>I sent a nicely worded (for me) email to jamster.com.au to
    >>>complain about their banner ads
    >>>
    >>>I've figured out how to block their ads, so anyone with linux wanna do
    >>>the same just holler and I'll post the answer...

    >> Post it anyway. Someone will care eventually :)

    >I was hoping no-one would care, then I wouldn't have to post the
    >link to the solution... :)
    >
    >Anyway, here it is...

    (snip)

    Thanks. I have filed that for when I care :) :)

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 15, 2005
  9. Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    >>Post it anyway. Someone will care eventually :)

    > I was hoping no-one would care, then I wouldn't have to post the
    > link to the solution... :)

    If the ads are just flash animations, then a more generic approach is
    the "Click to play" flash plugin. It's changed quite a bit since I first
    used it, but I think this is the right one:

    http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/flashblock

    Basically, replaces any flash objects with a button that says "Click to
    play". The flash isn't loaded until you click on the button - from then
    it works normally until you reload the page.

    It's a bit of pain for sites where you want to see the flash, but it
    makes a lot of pages a lot nicer to use.

    Daniel Lawson, Jun 16, 2005
  10. In article <42b0efba$>, Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:
    (snip)
    >I don't want to see banner ads mostly, so the odd flash anim
    >thats part of the specific site is OK. Still, might be worth a
    >shot for those who think flash is the 'cancer of the net'...a
    >few think of flash that way! :)

    Don't download the flash plugin. No problem :)

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 16, 2005
  11. Hi there,

    Chris Wilkinson, Jun 16, 2005
  12. Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >>> I don't want to see banner ads mostly, so the odd flash anim
    >>> thats part of the specific site is OK. Still, might be worth a
    >>> shot for those who think flash is the 'cancer of the net'...a
    >>> few think of flash that way! :)

    >> Don't download the flash plugin. No problem :)

    > If it were only that simple. It was installed by default, and I do
    > like some anims. Its more about banners ads than about flash...

    heh, I tend to have the same sort of thing as you, I don't like banners
    that go overboard... the google text ones are fine, and usually
    relevant(Im more likely to click on them that way).

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 16, 2005
  13. Hi there,

    Chris Wilkinson, Jun 16, 2005
  14. Bruce Sinclair

    Richard Guest

    > I don't want to see banner ads mostly, so the odd flash anim
    > thats part of the specific site is OK. Still, might be worth a
    > shot for those who think flash is the 'cancer of the net'...a
    > few think of flash that way! :)

    Well it works great on the stuff website, and also I have being getting a lot
    less popups since installing it.

    Richard, Jun 16, 2005
  15. Hi there,

    Richard wrote:
    >> I don't want to see banner ads mostly, so the odd flash anim
    >> thats part of the specific site is OK. Still, might be worth a
    >> shot for those who think flash is the 'cancer of the net'...a
    >> few think of flash that way! :)

    > Well it works great on the stuff website, and also I have being getting
    > a lot less popups since installing it.

    Cool. I've pretty much knocked banner ads on the head, popups
    are a thing of the past with Netscapes popup blocker, and now
    all I need to do is spark the revolution that downs Micros...
    ooops, I'm rambling again... :)

    Chris Wilkinson, Jun 16, 2005
  16. Bruce Sinclair

    DoggNZ Guest

    Someone wrote Adblock for Firefox :)
    --
    SETI Stats
    http://boinc.mundayweb.com/one/stats.php/userID:1999/prj:1/trans:off

    DoggNZ, Jun 16, 2005
  17. Bruce Sinclair

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~atman/spam/adblock.shtml

    > You know, why does everybody have to keep manually updating their
    > /etc/hosts file? There's potentially a better way, if someone were to
    > write an nss module.
    >
    > For systems using glibc (i.e. all the Linux distros I'm aware of),
    > various kinds of lookups are controlled by /etc/nsswitch.conf. These
    > typically have a line like this:
    >
    > hosts: files dns
    >
    > "hosts" refers to DNS lookups through standard runtime routines like
    > gethostbyname(3) etc. The keywords after the colon are actually derived
    > from the names of sharable libraries of the form /lib/libnss_xxx.so:
    > thus, /lib/libnss_files.so and /lib/libnss_dns.so for the above example.
    >
    > It should be possible for someone to write a module, say it's called
    > /lib/libnss_adblock.so, which when invoked, queries a central database
    > to find a list of blacklisted names which are to be mapped to the
    > address 127.0.0.1. Then you simply modify the above config line to read:
    >
    > hosts: files adblock dns
    >
    > (might as well continue to keep "files" first on the list of
    > alternatives) Simple! No need to keep updating your hosts file after
    > that.

    Even worce than that I am using IPCOp as a fire wall there has not been
    any modem or any shuch thing on most of my coputers here. If I mod my
    hosts on the IPCop Box(linux) will It affect the rest of the netowrk for
    genral Web brousing?

    Robert Cooze, Jun 17, 2005