Restructuring Windows installation for faster boot & operation

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rolf, Mar 8, 2009.

  1. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    Hi,
    I have got a recipe fort restructuring a Windows installation to obtain
    faster boot and operation.

    It requires that I move the program files folder to a folder like D:\prog:

    Use Registry Workshop
    Find all entries like
    i C?progra~1
    ii C:\program Files
    et cetera
    replace them with
    D?\prog

    The problem is that I cant find any C? or C: references in the registry.

    The 'recipe' recommend using XP, but I would expect Win2k to be similar so I
    might use that too?
    Any idea where to look for the references in the registry?
    Rolf, Mar 8, 2009

  2. Rolf

    chuckcar Guest

    "Rolf" <> wrote in

    > Hi,
    > I have got a recipe fort restructuring a Windows installation to obtain
    > faster boot and operation.
    >
    > It requires that I move the program files folder to a folder like
    > D:\prog:
    >
    > Use Registry Workshop
    > Find all entries like
    > i C?progra~1
    > ii C:\program Files
    > et cetera
    > replace them with
    > D?\prog
    >
    > The problem is that I cant find any C? or C: references in the registry.
    >
    > The 'recipe' recommend using XP, but I would expect Win2k to be similar
    > so I might use that too?
    > Any idea where to look for the references in the registry?

    Great way to completely screw up windows - *any* version. Give that idea
    up.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 8, 2009

  3. Rolf

    OldMan Guest

    And I've got a recipe for witches brew, do you want to use it.

    Switch PC on, enter any password, go make coffee, come back, all ready to go
    Or edit the registry, spend all day trying to recover your system, which
    will be a really looooooong boot time

    OldMan, Mar 8, 2009
  4. Rolf

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 21:15:23 +0100, "Rolf" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I have got a recipe fort restructuring a Windows installation to obtain
    >faster boot and operation.
    >
    >It requires that I move the program files folder to a folder like D:\prog:
    >
    >Use Registry Workshop
    >Find all entries like
    >i C?progra~1
    >ii C:\program Files
    >et cetera
    >replace them with
    >D?\prog
    >
    >The problem is that I cant find any C? or C: references in the registry.
    >
    >The 'recipe' recommend using XP, but I would expect Win2k to be similar so I
    >might use that too?
    >Any idea where to look for the references in the registry?

    Chucktard, the king of f'ing things up, KNOWS what to do to f things
    up. When he says you can f things up, take his word for it.

    You'll want to look for a App Mover. It basically knows what to do.
    You can easily hose your registry and your O/S doing what you suggest.
    Evan Platt, Mar 9, 2009
  5. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 21:15:23 +0100, "Rolf" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> I have got a recipe fort restructuring a Windows installation to
    >> obtain faster boot and operation.
    >>
    >> It requires that I move the program files folder to a folder like
    >> D:\prog:
    >>
    >> Use Registry Workshop
    >> Find all entries like
    >> i C?progra~1
    >> ii C:\program Files
    >> et cetera
    >> replace them with
    >> D?\prog
    >>
    >> The problem is that I cant find any C? or C: references in the
    >> registry.
    >>
    >> The 'recipe' recommend using XP, but I would expect Win2k to be
    >> similar so I might use that too?
    >> Any idea where to look for the references in the registry?

    > Chucktard, the king of f'ing things up, KNOWS what to do to f things
    > up. When he says you can f things up, take his word for it.
    >
    > You'll want to look for a App Mover. It basically knows what to do.
    > You can easily hose your registry and your O/S doing what you suggest.

    Thank you; I have enough computer savvy to know that (almost) anything is
    possible and can be done; one just have to know what one is doing and do it
    right...
    Rolf, Mar 9, 2009
  6. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    Rolf wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have got a recipe fort restructuring a Windows installation to
    > obtain faster boot and operation.
    >
    > It requires that I move the program files folder to a folder like
    > D:\prog:
    > Use Registry Workshop
    > Find all entries like
    > i C?progra~1
    > ii C:\program Files
    > et cetera
    > replace them with
    > D?\prog
    >
    > The problem is that I cant find any C? or C: references in the
    > registry.
    > The 'recipe' recommend using XP, but I would expect Win2k to be
    > similar so I might use that too?
    > Any idea where to look for the references in the registry?

    I did my best to implement this solution on a Win2k installation and it
    works, but I don't know how efficient it may be. It probably would work
    better with XP. Seems it is not possible to disable virtual memory in Win2k.

    Maybe a flash drive will be a better solution. Prices are going down. I plan
    on installing all systems on a flash drive and use hard drives for programs
    and data.
    Rolf, Mar 18, 2009