Restrictions on picture taking

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robert Feinman, Jun 11, 2004.

  1. As some of you may be aware the NYC transit authority is thinking of
    banning photography in the subways. There was a recent protest over
    this by a group of photographers and there is an article in Friday's
    NY Times making fun of the proposal.

    Picture-Takers, Noisemakers and Evil-Doers
    By CLYDE HABERMAN

    Here's the link:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/11/nyregion/11nyc.html

    I think it might be useful if we collected a list of incidents where
    photography has been interfered with by over zealous authorities.
    Perhaps posting a copy here and emailing a copy to Mr. Haberman.

    Just last summer I was chased away by a guard while photographing
    the Hudson river from Battery Park City esplanade. This is supposed
    to be a "public space".

    --
    Robert D Feinman
    http://robertdfeinman.com

    Robert Feinman, Jun 11, 2004

  2. Robert Feinman

    Bert Hyman Guest

    (Robert Feinman) wrote in

    > As some of you may be aware the NYC transit authority is thinking
    > of banning photography in the subways.

    You mean they're thinking of banning it ->again.

    It was illegal to take photographs in the subways back in the 60s and
    70s; when did it become legal?

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

    Bert Hyman, Jun 11, 2004

  3. Robert Feinman

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Just my thought.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Jun 11, 2004
  4. Robert Feinman

    Guest

    In message <>,
    Robert Feinman <> wrote:

    >Just last summer I was chased away by a guard while photographing
    >the Hudson river from Battery Park City esplanade. This is supposed
    >to be a "public space".

    You mean where the carved and painted pilings are? That's actually
    outside of BPC, I think. The vents for the Holland Tunnel are there,
    and the Port authority has banned photography there since 9/11 or
    shortly thereafter. Of course, anyone with a boat can easily photograph
    in much more detail.
    --

    John P Sheehy <>

    , Jun 12, 2004