Restricting file sharing on a home network

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Watcher of the Skies, Mar 24, 2009.

  1. I have a deskop Pc with win2000pro sp4 with the network name of w2k.

    Attached to it is a 400gb USB drive designated H:/ to use as general storage
    for the family.

    In the household we also have a number of laptops. All connected to the same
    workgroup.
    Thier names on the network are:-
    Chris-Vista
    Chris-XP
    Karen-XP
    Garage-XP

    I have created a folder on the H drive called H:/Public, and set it up as a
    network drive (M:/) and to share and it is accessable to all users on the
    network.

    What I want to do now is set up each user to have their own private storage
    area in folders (for instance H:/Chris, H:/Karen & H:/Garage) where they are
    only accessable from the corresponding user.

    Could someone guide me through what I need to do to allow each user have
    their own folder on this drive or point me in the right direction.

    Thanks

    CHRiS

    Watcher of the Skies, Mar 24, 2009

  2. Watcher of the Skies

    Mike Easter Guest

    groups trimmed to 24hshd

    Watcher of the Skies wrote:

    > I have created a folder on the H drive called H:/Public, and set it up
    > as a network drive (M:/) and to share and it is accessable to all users
    > on the network.
    >
    > What I want to do now is set up each user to have their own private
    > storage area in folders (for instance H:/Chris, H:/Karen & H:/Garage)
    > where they are only accessable from the corresponding user.
    >
    > Could someone guide me through what I need to do to allow each user have
    > their own folder on this drive or point me in the right direction.

    Share the drive and its folders. Have/Allow/Recommend each user to make a
    (their own) password protected folder.

    Is anyone liable to be a disk hog? Or is this a 'take whatever/ however
    much/ you want/need' environment?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 24, 2009

  3. "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    <snipped>
    > Share the drive and its folders. Have/Allow/Recommend each user to make a
    > (their own) password protected folder.
    >
    > Is anyone liable to be a disk hog? Or is this a 'take whatever/ however
    > much/ you want/need' environment?
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Intense privacy isnt really an issue as I doubt none of the family will put
    anything too personal on this disc nor is disk hogging as it is really a few
    family pics and the odd MP3 file we will be storring - 400gb plenty enough
    for that. Its a case of ease of use and organisation. Can I restrict the
    sharing of folders on the drive to access from list of named PCs on the
    network - different list for each folder. I dont want my family users to
    have to be confronted with umpteen passwords - they already need to sign
    into an ID on the w2k PC to get access to the unrestricted public folder.

    Watcher of the Skies, Mar 25, 2009