Restricting camera use?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steve, Jan 27, 2008.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/2008/1/24/94733/7581

    A camera with a EULA that allows only certain people to use it, and
    only to take certain kinds of pictures -

    You hereby agree that your use of the camera's UV and IR light energy
    sensitive capabilities, as enabled by Fujifilm's camera firmware, will
    be purely to accomplish a legitimate business purpose in the medical,
    forensic, fire investigative, law enforcement, scientific, systems
    integrators, museum/antiquity, aerial photographic survey, astronomy,
    professional nature and fine art photography, photographic education
    and local and federal government markets. You further agree not to use
    the camera's hardware and firmware enabled capabilities to engage in
    unethical photographic conduct involving the violation of personal
    privacy.

    --

    In 1969, I published a small book on Humility.
    It was a pioneering work which has not, to my knowledge, been superseded.

    ....Lord Longford

    Steve, Jan 27, 2008

  2. Steve wrote:
    > http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/2008/1/24/94733/7581
    >

    > A camera with a EULA that allows only certain people to use it, and
    > only to take certain kinds of pictures -
    >
    > You hereby agree that your use of the camera's UV and IR light energy
    > sensitive capabilities, as enabled by Fujifilm's camera firmware, will
    > be purely to accomplish a legitimate business purpose in the medical,
    > forensic, fire investigative, law enforcement, scientific, systems
    > integrators, museum/antiquity, aerial photographic survey, astronomy,
    > professional nature and fine art photography, photographic education
    > and local and federal government markets. You further agree not to use
    > the camera's hardware and firmware enabled capabilities to engage in
    > unethical photographic conduct involving the violation of personal
    > privacy.

    Sounds like Fuji is just afraid of getting sued for something or other, and
    these days who can blame them. Otherwise I doubt they really care what you
    use the camera for.

    Neil Harrington, Jan 27, 2008

  3. Steve

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Neil
    Harrington <> wrote:

    > > A camera with a EULA that allows only certain people to use it, and
    > > only to take certain kinds of pictures -
    > >
    > > You hereby agree that your use of the camera's UV and IR light energy
    > > sensitive capabilities, as enabled by Fujifilm's camera firmware, will
    > > be purely to accomplish a legitimate business purpose in the medical,
    > > forensic, fire investigative, law enforcement, scientific, systems
    > > integrators, museum/antiquity, aerial photographic survey, astronomy,
    > > professional nature and fine art photography, photographic education
    > > and local and federal government markets. You further agree not to use
    > > the camera's hardware and firmware enabled capabilities to engage in
    > > unethical photographic conduct involving the violation of personal
    > > privacy.

    > Sounds like Fuji is just afraid of getting sued for something or other, and
    > these days who can blame them. Otherwise I doubt they really care what you
    > use the camera for.

    because the camera can shoot uv/ir, it can be used to 'see through'
    clothing in some circumstances. fuji doesn't want to be seen as
    promoting it as a voyeuristic tool, thus the restriction. obviously,
    there's virtually no way they can enforce it.

    nospam, Jan 27, 2008
  4. Steve

    Guest

    On Jan 27, 11:59 pm, Steve <> wrote:
    > http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/2008/1/24/94733/7581
    >
    > A camera with a EULA that allows only certain people to use it, and
    > only to take certain kinds of pictures -
    >
    > You hereby agree that your use of the camera's UV and IR light energy
    > sensitive capabilities, as enabled by Fujifilm's camera firmware, will
    > be purely to accomplish a legitimate business purpose in the medical,
    > forensic, fire investigative, law enforcement, scientific, systems
    > integrators, museum/antiquity, aerial photographic survey, astronomy,
    > professional nature and fine art photography, photographic education
    > and local and federal government markets. You further agree not to use
    > the camera's hardware and firmware enabled capabilities to engage in
    > unethical photographic conduct involving the violation of personal
    > privacy.

    I didn't go to the link, but judging from the part you quoted, Fuji
    don't allow their technology to be used for, say, taking a snapshot
    of one's own cat in the dark, which certainly wouldn't qualify as a
    "professional nature" shot or as a "business purpose" !!!

    , Jan 27, 2008
  5. Steve

    Jer Guest

    nospam wrote:
    > In article <>, Neil
    > Harrington <> wrote:
    >
    >>> A camera with a EULA that allows only certain people to use it, and
    >>> only to take certain kinds of pictures -
    >>>
    >>> You hereby agree that your use of the camera's UV and IR light energy
    >>> sensitive capabilities, as enabled by Fujifilm's camera firmware, will
    >>> be purely to accomplish a legitimate business purpose in the medical,
    >>> forensic, fire investigative, law enforcement, scientific, systems
    >>> integrators, museum/antiquity, aerial photographic survey, astronomy,
    >>> professional nature and fine art photography, photographic education
    >>> and local and federal government markets. You further agree not to use
    >>> the camera's hardware and firmware enabled capabilities to engage in
    >>> unethical photographic conduct involving the violation of personal
    >>> privacy.

    >> Sounds like Fuji is just afraid of getting sued for something or other, and
    >> these days who can blame them. Otherwise I doubt they really care what you
    >> use the camera for.

    > because the camera can shoot uv/ir, it can be used to 'see through'
    > clothing in some circumstances. fuji doesn't want to be seen as
    > promoting it as a voyeuristic tool, thus the restriction. obviously,
    > there's virtually no way they can enforce it.

    It's not a restriction, per se, it's a disclaimer statement. They have
    no purpose in enforcing such a thing, this statement is nothing more
    than the legal beagles barking at the moon.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Jan 27, 2008
  6. Steve

    Rich Guest

    On Jan 27, 1:59 pm, Steve <> wrote:
    > http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/2008/1/24/94733/7581
    >
    > A camera with a EULA that allows only certain people to use it, and
    > only to take certain kinds of pictures -
    >
    > You hereby agree that your use of the camera's UV and IR light energy
    > sensitive capabilities, as enabled by Fujifilm's camera firmware, will
    > be purely to accomplish a legitimate business purpose in the medical,
    > forensic, fire investigative, law enforcement, scientific, systems
    > integrators, museum/antiquity, aerial photographic survey, astronomy,
    > professional nature and fine art photography, photographic education
    > and local and federal government markets. You further agree not to use
    > the camera's hardware and firmware enabled capabilities to engage in
    > unethical photographic conduct involving the violation of personal
    > privacy.
    >
    > --
    >
    > In 1969, I published a small book on Humility.
    > It was a pioneering work which has not, to my knowledge, been superseded.
    >
    > ...Lord Longford

    Dear Fuji. Go F--- yourself and TRY to make any of that nonsense hold
    up in court.

    Rich, Jan 28, 2008
  7. Steve

    Jufi Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message

    > http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/2008/1/24/94733/7581
    >

    > A camera with a EULA that allows only certain people to use it, and
    > only to take certain kinds of pictures -
    >
    > You hereby agree that your use of the camera's UV and IR light energy
    > sensitive capabilities, as enabled by Fujifilm's camera firmware, will
    > be purely to accomplish a legitimate business purpose in the medical,
    > forensic, fire investigative, law enforcement, scientific, systems
    > integrators, museum/antiquity, aerial photographic survey, astronomy,
    > professional nature and fine art photography, photographic education
    > and local and federal government markets. You further agree not to use
    > the camera's hardware and firmware enabled capabilities to engage in
    > unethical photographic conduct involving the violation of personal
    > privacy.

    Just Fuji's lawyers covering the company's ass. Nobody really cares how you
    use your camera.

    Jufi, Jan 29, 2008
  8. Steve

    Lazlo Lebrun Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/2008/1/24/94733/7581
    >

    > A camera with a EULA that allows only certain people to use it, and
    > only to take certain kinds of pictures -
    >
    > You hereby agree that your use of the camera's UV and IR light energy
    > sensitive capabilities, as enabled by Fujifilm's camera firmware, will
    > be purely to accomplish a legitimate business purpose in the medical,
    > forensic, fire investigative, law enforcement, scientific, systems
    > integrators, museum/antiquity, aerial photographic survey, astronomy,
    > professional nature and fine art photography, photographic education
    > and local and federal government markets. You further agree not to use
    > the camera's hardware and firmware enabled capabilities to engage in
    > unethical photographic conduct involving the violation of personal
    > privacy.

    Haven't you been authorized to use it for "fine art photography" and
    "photographic education"?
    ;-)

    Laszlo

    Lazlo Lebrun, Jan 30, 2008
  9. Steve

    Tom Yost Guest

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 10:59:14 -0800, Steve <> wrote:

    >http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/2008/1/24/94733/7581
    >

    >A camera with a EULA that allows only certain people to use it, and
    >only to take certain kinds of pictures -
    >
    >You hereby agree that your use of the camera's UV and IR light energy
    >sensitive capabilities, as enabled by Fujifilm's camera firmware, will
    >be purely to accomplish a legitimate business purpose in the medical,
    >forensic, fire investigative, law enforcement, scientific, systems
    >integrators, museum/antiquity, aerial photographic survey, astronomy,
    >professional nature and fine art photography, photographic education
    >and local and federal government markets. You further agree not to use
    >the camera's hardware and firmware enabled capabilities to engage in
    >unethical photographic conduct involving the violation of personal
    >privacy.

    http://www.xraywatcher.com/introavs.htm

    http://gals.xrayhunter.com/xray-see-through/index.php

    etc...