    only admins can turn it off.

    Thanks in advance

    Steve

    Stephen Williams, Jul 6, 2004

  2. "Stephen Williams" <> wrote in message
    > I wanna make it so it's impossible for someone with a limited account to
    > shut Windows XP Home down. Thanks to google i found the way of removing

    the
    > shut down command from the start menu, but now they can just log off then
    > choose shut down from the log on screen.
    >
    > Can i make it so people with a limited account simply can't log off? I
    > don't care if the admin has to reset the PC just to log on.
    >
    > How about removing Shut Down / restart from the Log On screen? That way
    > only admins can turn it off.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Steve

    Meh found it. Thanks google!

    Anyway, i think i have more work to do. Better disable command prompt, my
    computer, run etc etc. Basically i want them to have Internet Explorer
    only, or perhaps some other browser as my IE has been hijacked and no
    anti-spyware/adware software can save it :(

    Steve

    Stephen Williams, Jul 6, 2004

  3. In article <LOuGc.6675$>,
    says...
    > I wanna make it so it's impossible for someone with a limited account to
    > shut Windows XP Home down. Thanks to google i found the way of removing the
    > shut down command from the start menu, but now they can just log off then
    > choose shut down from the log on screen.
    >
    > Can i make it so people with a limited account simply can't log off? I
    > don't care if the admin has to reset the PC just to log on.
    >
    > How about removing Shut Down / restart from the Log On screen? That way
    > only admins can turn it off.

    I believe it's possible to control that sort of thing with System
    Policies

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 6, 2004
  4. Stephen Williams

    frederick Guest

    > I wanna make it so it's impossible for someone with a limited account

    > shut Windows XP Home down. Thanks to google i found the way of

    removing the
    > shut down command from the start menu, but now they can just log off

    then
    > choose shut down from the log on screen.
    >
    > Can i make it so people with a limited account simply can't log off?

    > don't care if the admin has to reset the PC just to log on.
    >
    > How about removing Shut Down / restart from the Log On screen? That

    way
    > only admins can turn it off.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Steve

    With the registry key (for the user account - ie do this when logged in
    as that user)

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Exp
    lorer
    add key names / values:
    StartMenuLogOff / Reg_DWord / 1 (hides "Log Off" start menu button)
    NoClose / Reg_DWord / 1 (you have probably already done
    this)

    The user can still log off by running task manager, menu Shut Down |
    Change User, or "Users" tab, log off - if they know about that.

    One by one you can find ways to disable task manager, disable
    ctrl/alt/del, disable the power and reset buttons, etc. IMO not a good
    thing to do.

    Are you also planning to superglue the power plug into the wall, and
    glue the switch to on?

    frederick, Jul 7, 2004
  5. Stephen Williams

    bAZZ Guest

    > "Stephen Williams" <> wrote in message
    > > I wanna make it so it's impossible for someone with a limited account to
    > > shut Windows XP Home down. Thanks to google i found the way of removing

    > the
    > > shut down command from the start menu, but now they can just log off

    then
    > > choose shut down from the log on screen.
    > >
    > > Can i make it so people with a limited account simply can't log off? I
    > > don't care if the admin has to reset the PC just to log on.
    > >
    > > How about removing Shut Down / restart from the Log On screen? That way
    > > only admins can turn it off.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance
    > >
    > > Steve
    > >

    > Meh found it. Thanks google!
    >
    > Anyway, i think i have more work to do. Better disable command prompt, my
    > computer, run etc etc. Basically i want them to have Internet Explorer
    > only, or perhaps some other browser as my IE has been hijacked and no
    > anti-spyware/adware software can save it :(
    >
    > Steve

    Hi Steve

    I used a child friendly browser and desktop for my kids. It gave them their
    own desktop and cut down browser. Hit escape and you are back in windows
    with correct password. Kidsafe browser I think from memory. Not free but
    does the job. Think it was 20US.

    bAZZ

    bAZZ, Jul 7, 2004
  6. > With the registry key (for the user account - ie do this when logged in
    > as that user)
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Exp
    > lorer
    > add key names / values:
    > StartMenuLogOff / Reg_DWord / 1 (hides "Log Off" start menu button)
    > NoClose / Reg_DWord / 1 (you have probably already done
    > this)
    >
    > The user can still log off by running task manager, menu Shut Down |
    > Change User, or "Users" tab, log off - if they know about that.
    >
    > One by one you can find ways to disable task manager, disable
    > ctrl/alt/del, disable the power and reset buttons, etc. IMO not a good
    > thing to do.
    >
    > Are you also planning to superglue the power plug into the wall, and
    > glue the switch to on?

    The power plug and switch are already very hard to get at (need a key or an
    axe!).

    And yeah, i'll keep restricting the OS until they can't even leave their
    chair to go to the toilet.

    Steve

    Stephen Williams, Jul 7, 2004