    (wired and wireless) by MAC Address. I've figured out how to do the
    wireless part by creating an access list, but how do I restrict access
    to the 4 ethernet ports to those same MAC addresses?

    Chris Lim, Oct 24, 2008

  2. Chris Lim

    EMB Guest

    Chris Lim wrote:
    > I have a D-Link-G604T ADSL-2 modem and I want to restrict all access
    > (wired and wireless) by MAC Address. I've figured out how to do the
    > wireless part by creating an access list, but how do I restrict access
    > to the 4 ethernet ports to those same MAC addresses?

    You don't. It's time to add a separate proxy of some sort to the mix.

    EMB, Oct 24, 2008

  3. In message
    <>, Chris
    Lim wrote:

    > ... I want to restrict all access (wired and wireless) by MAC Address.

    Is this really worth doing, considering how easy it is to spoof MAC
    addresses?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 24, 2008
  4. Chris Lim

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Oct 24, 10:31 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message
    > <>, Chris
    >
    > Lim wrote:
    > > ... I want to restrict all access (wired and wireless) by MAC Address.

    > Is this really worth doing, considering how easy it is to spoof MAC
    > addresses?

    Well, the people who have physical access to the modem aren't that IT
    savy so I'm not too worried about that (unless it's super easy to do,
    I've never looked into it!).

    I have a situation where someone doesn't want to contribute to the
    internet bill in a shared house when they are the heaviest user, so if
    it gets to the point where they refuse to pay then I want to make sure
    they don't get internet access through their computer.

    Chris Lim, Oct 24, 2008
  5. Chris Lim

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Oct 24, 11:26 pm, Collector€NZ <> wrote:
    > Chris Lim wrote:
    > > I have a D-Link-G604T ADSL-2 modem and I want to restrict all access
    > > (wired and wireless) by MAC Address. I've figured out how to do the
    > > wireless part by creating an access list, but how do I restrict access
    > > to the 4 ethernet ports to those same MAC addresses?

    > Network security is not just a IT thing!
    >
    > Rule one is protect physical access to equipment
    > Rule two put in a capable fire wall
    > rule three don't trust your protection and monitor everything
    >
    > there are about 19 more rules.
    >
    > Tell us what you wish to achieve and we may be able to help.
    >
    > Now reading between the lines, making a few assumptions!
    >
    > You have a WiFi that is also your internal lan connection to the net
    >
    > you also have others that you allow to use this internally by ethernet
    > (poor you)
    >
    > Come back with some details we will of course (not me no never me)
    > lambast you and critic the situation but you will get some good advice

    See my reply to Lawrence. Short story is shared accomodation, one
    person doesn't want to contribute to internet bill and I may need to
    stop them freeloading.

    Chris Lim, Oct 24, 2008
  6. Chris Lim

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Oct 24, 11:42 pm, Collector€NZ <> wrote:
    > Turn on DHCP in your adsl router and deny there mac, or better deny all
    > macs except those who contribute. Would not  stop me for more than a
    > minute but if they are not It sav it will do, the only sure way is to
    > disconnect the physical layer and protect that disconnection.

    In the DHCP config there is a section under the Static IP config where
    I can enter a list of IP/MAC address combo's. I tested it out by
    limiting the internal IP range to 2 addresses (10.1.1.2 - 10.1.1.3)
    and assigning a dummy MAC address to the one that was free (the other
    was used by my computer). When I tried connecting (wirelessly) via my
    PS3 the connection was successful and the spare IP address assigned,
    even though the MAC address didn't match. So this list doesn't seem to
    restrict access to just those IP/MAC address combo's for some reason.

    > But surely if you have a non compliant person he/she should be gone

    It's a weird situation, I won't bore you with the details!

    Chris Lim, Oct 24, 2008
  7. Chris Lim

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Chris Lim <> wrote in news:7856ce6b-78cf-47cd-aba6-
    :

    > I have a D-Link-G604T ADSL-2 modem and I want to restrict all access
    > (wired and wireless) by MAC Address. I've figured out how to do the
    > wireless part by creating an access list, but how do I restrict access
    > to the 4 ethernet ports to those same MAC addresses?

    Yu do this upstream
    http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pete/upside-down-ternet.html

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Oct 24, 2008
  8. In message
    <>, Chris
    Lim wrote:

    > On Oct 24, 10:31 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> In message
    >> <>,
    >> Chris Lim wrote:
    >>
    >>> ... I want to restrict all access (wired and wireless) by MAC Address.

    >> Is this really worth doing, considering how easy it is to spoof MAC
    >> addresses?

    > Well, the people who have physical access to the modem aren't that IT
    > savy ...

    Given that wireless is involved, you have no idea who has "physical access".

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 24, 2008
  9. Chris Lim

    Richard Guest

    Chris Lim wrote:

    > I have a situation where someone doesn't want to contribute to the
    > internet bill in a shared house when they are the heaviest user, so if
    > it gets to the point where they refuse to pay then I want to make sure
    > they don't get internet access through their computer.

    If they are not contributing to the internet access then why are they
    connected to the router?

    Surely the simpllst thing to do is to unplug them and if they plug it
    back in then kick them out?

    Richard, Oct 25, 2008
  10. In message <49025162$>, Collector€NZ wrote:

    > The trick is deny all but allow specific stated mac addresees

    Never heard of MAC address spoofing?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 25, 2008
  11. Chris Lim

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Oct 25, 2:20 pm, Richard <> wrote:
    > Chris Lim wrote:
    > > I have a situation where someone doesn't want to contribute to the
    > > internet bill in a shared house when they are the heaviest user, so if
    > > it gets to the point where they refuse to pay then I want to make sure
    > > they don't get internet access through their computer.

    > If they are not contributing to the internet access then why are they
    > connected to the router?
    >
    > Surely the simpllst thing to do is to unplug them and if they plug it
    > back in then kick them out?

    Yeah that'll be the plan. It's just when nobody else is home that I
    was thinking of, but I don't think it'll be a problem.

    Chris Lim, Oct 26, 2008