  1. I have a website i am ready to 'launch' but want to restrict access to
    anyone from a particular country e.g. make available worlwide but not allow
    browsers from New Zealand to access it - is this possible and if so how?

    Michael Payne, May 25, 2004

  2. Michael Payne

    Allistar Guest

    Michael Payne wrote:

    > I have a website i am ready to 'launch' but want to restrict access to
    > anyone from a particular country e.g. make available worlwide but not
    > allow browsers from New Zealand to access it - is this possible and if so
    > how?

    It's impossible to do it in a foolproof way as people in NZ can always use
    an overseas proxy to access your site. But ignoring that issue you'd need
    to find which blocks of IP addresses are allocated to NZ and then restrict
    access by, I would guess, the .htaccess file (depending on which web server
    you are using).

    Allistar.
    Allistar, May 25, 2004

  3. Michael Payne

    frederick Guest

    "Michael Payne" <> wrote in message
    > I have a website i am ready to 'launch' but want to restrict access to
    > anyone from a particular country e.g. make available worlwide but not allow
    > browsers from New Zealand to access it - is this possible and if so how?

    http://www.location.com.my/articles/article1.htm

    (Note that the demo version has a 5 second delay)
    Please make sure you post your URL here. I would like to see why anyone from NZ
    would want to put up a website allowing everyone access to it - except anyone
    from their own country. I sense skullduggery.
    frederick, May 25, 2004
  4. Michael Payne

    > I have a website i am ready to 'launch' but want to restrict access to
    > anyone from a particular country e.g. make available worlwide but not allow
    > browsers from New Zealand to access it - is this possible and if so how?

    This looks interesting too - free with a 1 in 50 popup ad.
    http://www.geobytes.com/GeoDirection.htm
    Subject of course to what Allistar points out in this thread.
    frederick, May 25, 2004
  5. Michael Payne

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 22:52:34 +1200, "frederick" <>
    wrote:

    >"Michael Payne" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a website i am ready to 'launch' but want to restrict access to
    >> anyone from a particular country e.g. make available worlwide but not allow
    >> browsers from New Zealand to access it - is this possible and if so how?
    >>
    >> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    >>

    >http://www.location.com.my/articles/article1.htm
    >
    >(Note that the demo version has a 5 second delay)
    >Please make sure you post your URL here. I would like to see why anyone from NZ
    >would want to put up a website allowing everyone access to it - except anyone
    >from their own country. I sense skullduggery.

    Selling Tobacco comes to mind. There was a www site that hit the news
    a few years back for that. They were blocking traffic to NZers
    because they aren't allowed to advetise to them.
    Craig Shore, May 25, 2004
  6. Michael Payne

    a Guest

    In article <N7Esc.9901$>,
    says...
    > I have a website i am ready to 'launch' but want to restrict access to
    > anyone from a particular country e.g. make available worlwide but not allow
    > browsers from New Zealand to access it - is this possible and if so how?

    For strange people such as yourself, I use an open proxy ;)

    http://www.openproxies.com/
    a, May 25, 2004
  7. Michael Payne

    Enkidu Guest

    wrote:

    >"Michael Payne" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a website i am ready to 'launch' but want to restrict access to
    >> anyone from a particular country e.g. make available worlwide but not allow
    >> browsers from New Zealand to access it - is this possible and if so how?
    >>
    >> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    >>

    >http://www.location.com.my/articles/article1.htm
    >
    >(Note that the demo version has a 5 second delay)
    >Please make sure you post your URL here. I would like to see why anyone from NZ
    >would want to put up a website allowing everyone access to it - except anyone
    >from their own country. I sense skullduggery.

    That script is easily circumvented. Suppose someone jumps in at a
    lower level?

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, May 26, 2004
  8. Michael Payne

    frederick Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 25 May 2004 22:52:34 +1200, "frederick" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Michael Payne" <> wrote in message
    > >> I have a website i am ready to 'launch' but want to restrict access to
    > >> anyone from a particular country e.g. make available worlwide but not allow
    > >> browsers from New Zealand to access it - is this possible and if so how?
    > >>
    > >> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    > >>

    > >http://www.location.com.my/articles/article1.htm
    > >
    > >(Note that the demo version has a 5 second delay)
    > >Please make sure you post your URL here. I would like to see why anyone from

    NZ
    > >would want to put up a website allowing everyone access to it - except anyone
    > >from their own country. I sense skullduggery.
    > >

    > That script is easily circumvented. Suppose someone jumps in at a
    > lower level?

    Yes - I imagine most simply circumvented by disabling scripts in your browser's
    settings.
    No doubt they would see what Michael Payne didn't want them to - but I expect
    that if he has secret agent stuff to do - then he wouldn't want to post his most
    precious secrets on the www anyway :)
    frederick, May 26, 2004