  1. I have a website i am ready to 'launch' but want to restrict access to
    anyone from a particular country e.g. make available worlwide but not allow
    browsers from New Zealand to access it - is this possible and if so how?

    Michael Payne, May 25, 2004

  2. Michael Payne

    JD Guest

    Michael Payne said the following on 25/05/2004 7:19 PM:

    > I have a website i am ready to 'launch' but want to restrict access to
    > anyone from a particular country e.g. make available worlwide but not allow
    > browsers from New Zealand to access it - is this possible

    No.

    JD, May 25, 2004

  3. "Michael Payne" <> wrote in message
    >I have a website i am ready to 'launch' but want to restrict access to
    > anyone from a particular country e.g. make available worlwide but not
    > allow
    > browsers from New Zealand to access it - is this possible and if so how?

    I not 100% sure but i don't think its possible.
    Its not coz England thrashed them at cricket ????

    Gareth not NLL or anybody else., May 25, 2004
  4. Michael Payne

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Michael Payne wrote:

    > I have a website i am ready to 'launch' but want to restrict access to
    > anyone from a particular country e.g. make available worlwide but not allow
    > browsers from New Zealand to access it - is this possible and if so how?

    Kiwis are nice people, so I am sure if you put an entry button on the
    start page saying Kiwis can't enter, then they will comply with your wishes.

    Seriously though, and just guessing, I would think it *may* be possible
    by getting the IP address of the visitor, and if it is one originating
    in NZ redirect the browser to a FSCK OFF page.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 25, 2004
  5. Michael Payne

    Evil Bastard Guest

    Michael Payne wrote:
    > I have a website i am ready to 'launch' but want to restrict access to
    > anyone from a particular country e.g. make available worlwide but not allow
    > browsers from New Zealand to access it - is this possible and if so how?

    You can do it, but not with 100% guarantee.

    It will involve a little bit of programming:
    - extract client IP address from the REMOTE_ADDR http header
    - look for header HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR, which if present,
    trumps REMOTE_ADDR

    these will give you the client's IP address.

    Next step is to track it to a country. There are numerous software
    libraries/modules and online services which to near-complete accuracy
    will determine the country in which that IP address resides.

    With this in place, you can then stick in your website code that crucial
    line "if $visitor_country == 'NZ'", or whatever, and choose what to
    display based on that.

    Another approach is to parse out locale information from the
    HTTP_USER_AGENT header.

    But, there's a catch. If word gets out that you're serving up
    geo-selected content, people in countries from which you're blocking
    content will access your site via a proxy server, which will completely
    defeat your intentions, and may embarrass or even severely incriminate you.

    Given the 'six degrees of separation' thesis, I wouldn't depend on
    people in your target audience keeping their traps shut for long.

    Conclusion - yes, you can build your website to make it difficult for
    people in certain countries to access part or all of the content. But
    don't even think of setting up anything like this unless you're willing
    to bear the full consequences of all your content being accessed against
    your wishes.

    Evil Bastard, May 25, 2004
  6. Michael Payne

    steve Guest

    Michael Payne wrote:
    > I have a website i am ready to 'launch' but want to restrict access to
    > anyone from a particular country e.g. make available worlwide but not allow
    > browsers from New Zealand to access it - is this possible and if so how?

    You can't, really.

    Anyone with an AT&T Internet account in NZ will look to you like they
    come from the US of A - especially now that TeltraClear and Telecom are
    dismantling peering in NZ in an effort to double-dip on usage charges.

    steve, May 25, 2004
  7. now that TeltraClear and Telecom are
    > dismantling peering in NZ in an effort to double-dip on usage charges.

    what's this steve??

    Murray S

    Murray Sutherland, May 25, 2004
  8. Michael Payne

    Kent Smith Guest

    "steve" <steve@mozilla-thunderbird0.6.org.nz> wrote in message
    > Michael Payne wrote:
    > > I have a website i am ready to 'launch' but want to restrict access to
    > > anyone from a particular country e.g. make available worlwide but not

    allow
    > > browsers from New Zealand to access it - is this possible and if so how?
    > >
    > > Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

    > You can't, really.
    >
    > Anyone with an AT&T Internet account in NZ will look to you like they
    > come from the US of A

    So will larger corporations that have their own international data circuits.

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, May 25, 2004