    connection to my tenants BUT I don't want those computers to have access to
    my desktop, printer, laptop etc. Is there anyway to restrict that access?
    Thanks in advance.
    Andrew, Dec 12, 2008

  2. "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have an XP desktop that is acting as a hub for my laptop to access
    >printers
    > and an external HDD. I have these resources shared on the network. Now
    > I am
    > renting out a portion of my house and would like to offer the internet
    > connection to my tenants BUT I don't want those computers to have
    > access to
    > my desktop, printer, laptop etc. Is there anyway to restrict that
    > access?
    > Thanks in advance.

    One way is to use a wireless router that has two networks one for you
    and one for guests. The guest network is isolated from your network. I
    just bought one of these devices. For $20 after a $10 mail in rebate its
    a pretty good deal.

    http://www.provantage.com/zyxel-nbg334wkit~7ZYXW00U.htm

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    How to ask a question
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
    Sooner Al [MVP], Dec 12, 2008

  3. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    THank you for that but I am hpoing that I can do this "in house" as it were.
    Is there a way that I can simply restrict permissions full stop to other
    users on the network?

    Andrew, Dec 12, 2008
  4. "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > THank you for that but I am hpoing that I can do this "in house" as it
    > were.
    > Is there a way that I can simply restrict permissions full stop to
    > other
    > users on the network?

    With the XP or Vista Windows Firewall you could configure a custom
    address scope on each of your PCs so only specific IP addresses would be
    allowed to access shared files/folders/printers.

    Sooner Al [MVP], Dec 12, 2008
  5. What is "in house" and how is what Sooner suggested not "in house"?

    I think Sooner's suggestion is about the only true reasonable solution that
    exists without buying more equipment that in the end produces the same thing
    anyway.

    Side note: There is no way I would do this for a tenant. "Free Internet" is
    always abused by the one getting it for free and I would not want to be
    their "tech support" that gets the complaint everytime they think something
    is wrong with their "internet".

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Dec 12, 2008
  6. Hi
    You can configure a system of elaborate user names, permission, a passwords,
    but it might be easy to compromise your Network since all the computers
    would be on the same Network.
    Al's idea is one good way to go, this page describes an other idea with
    instructions on setting it.
    Network Segregation - http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MS, MVP-Networking\), Dec 12, 2008
  7. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Perfect! I will try to sort that out.

    Andrew, Dec 12, 2008