Restricted User & Windows 2000 SP4

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Ian Riches, Jan 27, 2008.

  1. Ian Riches

    Ian Riches Guest

    I am trying to connect a destop machine running Win2K SP4 to a wireless
    network.

    I originally tried a Belkin (FD57000, I think) PCI card. This worked
    fine for the administrator account, but wouldn't work at all for my 7-
    year old's restricted user account. The Belkin utility would not launch
    properly and consumed 100$ of the CPU. I've now returned that card.

    Has anyone had any success getting a restricted user to get wireless
    access on a Win2k SP4 machine? I've done a fair bit of googling, but
    not found any solutions other than perhaps using runassspc to somehow
    launch the wireless software with administrator priveledges.

    Any hints anyone?

    Thanks.

    Ian
    --
    Ian Riches
    Bedford, UK
    Ian Riches, Jan 27, 2008

  2. Ian Riches

    Pavel A. Guest

    Unability of working under limited accounts is a known
    defect of many software designed before WinXP or Vista.
    ( yep I was guilty too ).

    Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a simple/cheap solution
    besides of using actively supported OS and products.

    --PA

    Pavel A., Jan 27, 2008

  3. Ian Riches <> wrote:

    > I am trying to connect a destop machine running Win2K SP4 to a wireless
    > network.
    >
    > I originally tried a Belkin (FD57000, I think) PCI card. This worked
    > fine for the administrator account, but wouldn't work at all for my 7-
    > year old's restricted user account. The Belkin utility would not launch
    > properly and consumed 100$ of the CPU. I've now returned that card.
    >
    > Has anyone had any success getting a restricted user to get wireless
    > access on a Win2k SP4 machine? I've done a fair bit of googling, but
    > not found any solutions other than perhaps using runassspc to somehow
    > launch the wireless software with administrator priveledges.
    >
    > Any hints anyone?

    I assume the trouble is with the client software. One solution could be
    to use another client - say the one from McAfee or Buffalo's
    Clientmanager2 (v2.1) - if you can still find it. Clientmanager2 works
    with many card under W2K SP4.
    Axel Hammerschmidt, Feb 3, 2008