    up issue yet this site still gets through even though I'm using Avant
    browser
    with pop up blocker enabled.

    Tony, Sep 22, 2006

  2. Tony wrote:

    > I've added a web address to my hosts file using this procedure:
    >
    > 1. open a command prompt.
    > 2. cd /d %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\etc
    > 3. attrib hosts -R
    > 4. notepad hosts
    > 5. -- add your ipaddres and its fqdn --
    > 6. save the file

    Wouldn't it be easier to just open the file from the Notepad File > Open
    menu choice?

    > Yet if I type in the web address I've added it still gets displayed,
    > obviously you would say don't visit the site. I don't it's really a
    > pop up issue yet this site still gets through even though I'm using
    > Avant browser with pop up blocker enabled.

    Can't tell if your edit was correct and successful. Open it with Notepad
    and copy & paste the relevant parts here in a reply.

    Rather than using a shell on top of Internet Explorer, have you
    considered a modern, stand-alone browser such as Opera or Firefox?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 22, 2006

  3. Tony

    Tony Guest

    > Tony wrote:
    >
    >> I've added a web address to my hosts file using this procedure:
    >>
    >> 1. open a command prompt.
    >> 2. cd /d %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\etc
    >> 3. attrib hosts -R
    >> 4. notepad hosts
    >> 5. -- add your ipaddres and its fqdn --
    >> 6. save the file

    > Wouldn't it be easier to just open the file from the Notepad File > Open
    > menu choice?
    >
    >> Yet if I type in the web address I've added it still gets displayed,
    >> obviously you would say don't visit the site. I don't it's really a
    >> pop up issue yet this site still gets through even though I'm using
    >> Avant browser with pop up blocker enabled.

    > Can't tell if your edit was correct and successful. Open it with Notepad
    > and copy & paste the relevant parts here in a reply.
    >
    > Rather than using a shell on top of Internet Explorer, have you
    > considered a modern, stand-alone browser such as Opera or Firefox?

    I think I made a syntax error in the edit process I had the prefix
    http://ww*.
    removing the http:// part seems to have resolved the issue, and now
    the offending pop up does not display.

    Tony, Sep 22, 2006
  4. Tony wrote:

    > I think I made a syntax error in the edit process I had the prefix
    > http://ww*.
    > removing the http:// part seems to have resolved the issue, and now
    > the offending pop up does not display.

    Aha. That's what I wanted to look for. HOSTS file entries are just
    domain name, and subdomain if it applies.

    127.0.0.1 example.com
    127.0.0.1 ads.example.com

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 22, 2006
  5. Tony

    richard Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message

    >> Tony wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've added a web address to my hosts file using this procedure:
    >>>
    >>> 1. open a command prompt.
    >>> 2. cd /d %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\etc
    >>> 3. attrib hosts -R
    >>> 4. notepad hosts
    >>> 5. -- add your ipaddres and its fqdn --
    >>> 6. save the file

    >> Wouldn't it be easier to just open the file from the Notepad File > Open
    >> menu choice?
    >>
    >>> Yet if I type in the web address I've added it still gets displayed,
    >>> obviously you would say don't visit the site. I don't it's really a
    >>> pop up issue yet this site still gets through even though I'm using
    >>> Avant browser with pop up blocker enabled.

    >> Can't tell if your edit was correct and successful. Open it with Notepad
    >> and copy & paste the relevant parts here in a reply.
    >>
    >> Rather than using a shell on top of Internet Explorer, have you
    >> considered a modern, stand-alone browser such as Opera or Firefox?

    > I think I made a syntax error in the edit process I had the prefix
    > http://ww*.
    > removing the http:// part seems to have resolved the issue, and now
    > the offending pop up does not display.

    Or you might be able to use the IP of the site.
    In most cases, the usage of the prefix as shown is primarily for the web
    browser. Not needed within most applications.

    richard, Sep 22, 2006
  6. richard wrote:

    > Or you might be able to use the IP of the site.
    > In most cases, the usage of the prefix as shown is primarily for the
    > web browser. Not needed within most applications.

    You're so totally, like, not following along, are you?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 22, 2006
  7. Tony

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:44:31 -0600, "richard" <> wrote:

    >Or you might be able to use the IP of the site.

    I can give you about 100 reasons that would be a stupid fucking idea.

    1 good one is a good number of sites using a load balancer. You may
    only get one of many IP's for a site.

    Evan Platt, Sep 23, 2006