    number of reasons. The sort of thing I am looking for is something like
    the restricted sites section in the option of IE. Perhaps there is a
    extension that emulates this. Many thanks in advance!

    King of Red Lions, Feb 7, 2005

  2. On 2/7/2005 4:00 PM, King of Red Lions said:
    > Is there anyway I can restrict certain sites from being viewed on
    > FireFox? I used to use IE but have recently switched to FireFox for a
    > number of reasons. The sort of thing I am looking for is something like
    > the restricted sites section in the option of IE. Perhaps there is a
    > extension that emulates this. Many thanks in advance!

    Why not use a router or software firewall that does the same thing? That
    way one set of restrictions applies to all browsers.

    cheers,

    David H

    David Harrison, Feb 7, 2005

  3. David Harrison wrote:
    > On 2/7/2005 4:00 PM, King of Red Lions said:
    >
    >> Is there anyway I can restrict certain sites from being viewed on
    >> FireFox? I used to use IE but have recently switched to FireFox for a
    >> number of reasons. The sort of thing I am looking for is something
    >> like the restricted sites section in the option of IE. Perhaps there
    >> is a extension that emulates this. Many thanks in advance!

    > Why not use a router or software firewall that does the same thing? That
    > way one set of restrictions applies to all browsers.
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > David H

    Or restrict the sites with your HOSTS file.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Feb 7, 2005
  4. King of Red Lions

    Ranjit Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > David Harrison wrote:
    >
    >> On 2/7/2005 4:00 PM, King of Red Lions said:
    >>
    >>> Is there anyway I can restrict certain sites from being viewed on
    >>> FireFox? I used to use IE but have recently switched to FireFox for
    >>> a number of reasons. The sort of thing I am looking for is something
    >>> like the restricted sites section in the option of IE. Perhaps there
    >>> is a extension that emulates this. Many thanks in advance!

    >> Why not use a router or software firewall that does the same thing?
    >> That way one set of restrictions applies to all browsers.
    >>
    >> cheers,
    >>
    >> David H

    > Or restrict the sites with your HOSTS file.
    >
    > Lee

    I am not sure if a complete blocking is what the OT expects.
    May be he wants to block some sites for his kids but not for him ;).

    Ranjit, Feb 7, 2005
  5. King of Red Lions

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 16:00:08 +0000, in message
    <cu838r$b0s$>, King of Red Lions wrote:

    > Is there anyway I can restrict certain sites from being viewed on
    > FireFox? I used to use IE but have recently switched to FireFox for a
    > number of reasons. The sort of thing I am looking for is something like
    > the restricted sites section in the option of IE.

    IE's "Restricted Sites" zone does not to my knowledge completely restrict
    you from viewing the site. What it does is disable some of the
    capabilities of the site. Exactly which capabilities are disabled
    is configurable. For example

    Javascript, VBScript, etc. (scripting)
    Java
    Run ActiveX & plug-ins
    Download ActiveX
    Download files
    Sub-frames from other sites.

    > Perhaps there is a
    > extension that emulates this. Many thanks in advance!

    There is an extension similar to IE's security zones

    http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/_policymanager.html.en

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    somewhere else." -- Sam Walton

    Ralph Fox, Feb 8, 2005
  6. King of Red Lions

    raja_madasu

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    restrict sites from firefox

    hello sir, this is raja form serveen software systems (P)Ltd. i want to restrict sites form mozilla firefox,Is there anyway I can restrict certain sites from being viewed on FireFox? I used to use IE but have recently switched to FireFox for a
    number of reasons. The sort of thing I am looking for is something like
    the restricted sites section in the option of IE. Perhaps there is a
    extension that emulates this. Many thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

    raja_madasu, Sep 22, 2007
  7. King of Red Lions

    icedogo

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Location:
    Ridgewood Queens
    FireFox and Hostfiles - do they really work

    Hello everyone,

    thanks for all the quality information regarding Host files blocking for
    websites viewed on Firefox and IE 7. However, I tried the solution just like the other individuals and nothing seemed to work.

    Is it better to block a site via host file or throught the browswer itself ??

    Can someone help me on this?
    And if its better via Host file - what is the correct to do it ?

    thanks IceodogO

    icedogo, Dec 7, 2007