    Kyle

    $1million US dollars to sensfan_luvslisa (at) yahoo (dot) ca. Change the
    reply. Money gets faster attention ;o)

    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, Aug 7, 2004

  2. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio vaguely muttered something like ...
    > I friend of mine sent me a version of Visio 2000 Standard to train with to
    > add to my vast knowledge of graphic-based programs. Trouble is, the copy
    > was created using Roxio Easy CD Creator (probably version 5) and some of
    > the file names have been truncated down to having only 8 characters,
    > including the infamous ~ followed by a numeral.
    >
    > Is there anyway to take the files from the CD-ROM, transfer them to a HDD
    > and then run something that will restore them to their original form? The
    > install refuses to work due to being unable to find the program's exe
    > file. It's there ... but not in the "Program Files" folder it's looking
    > for because that file folder has been renamed Progr~1 instead. The same
    > is true of many of the built-in templates this program uses.
    >
    > Thanks :)

    Ask your friend to send you a list of folder/program names, then manually
    re-name yours .. ;)

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) ... Homer Rocks

    Paul - xxx, Aug 7, 2004

  3. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    John Holmes Guest

    NOTE: This message was sent thru a mail2news gateway.
    No effort was made to verify the identity of the sender.

    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio came up with this:

    > but not in the "Program Files" folder it's looking for
    > because that file folder has been renamed Progr~1 instead.

    Rename te folder back to "Program Files"

    --
    -John Holmes-

    "It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."

    John Holmes, Aug 7, 2004
  4. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    anthonyberet Guest

    In Usenet post: 4115279f$0$5470$,
    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio droned on and on and on:
    > I friend of mine sent me a version of Visio 2000 Standard to train
    > with to add to my vast knowledge of graphic-based programs. Trouble
    > is, the copy was created using Roxio Easy CD Creator (probably
    > version 5) and some of the file names have been truncated down to
    > having only 8 characters, including the infamous ~ followed by a
    > numeral.
    >
    > Is there anyway to take the files from the CD-ROM, transfer them to a
    > HDD and then run something that will restore them to their original
    > form? The install refuses to work due to being unable to find the
    > program's exe file. It's there ... but not in the "Program Files"
    > folder it's looking for because that file folder has been renamed
    > Progr~1 instead. The same is true of many of the built-in templates
    > this program uses.

    I can't see any atomated way to do it.
    If the number of files and folders is smallish, you can rename them manally,
    if not, you have a coaster...
    If CDextreme is used to copy the CD, filenames of up to 212 chars are
    possible.

    anthonyberet, Aug 8, 2004
  5. In news:Xns953EED57D66FBjohnanonymouscunt@192.168.0.101, John Holmes
    <> first attempted to communicate with pen, but the
    writing was small, so next used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away,
    and then switched to spray paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so
    placed fingers to keyboard for this:

    > Rename te folder back to "Program Files"

    I did that, but then there's about 100 files that are the same way, most of
    them templates that are crucial to the running of the program. Hence I was
    hoping for an automated way ... or even some way to open the properties of
    that file and learn the original long name.

    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, Aug 8, 2004