    appreciated, especially links or leads to any legitimate documentation
    covering the matter. Thanks.

    , Sep 2, 2007

  2. philo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi. This question is not about the mechanics of copying and restoring
    > a system partition. What I would like to know relates to why system
    > partitions cannot be expanded in Windows operating systems, and what
    > settings may need to be changed if the matter is forced by wiping the
    > disk and restoring to a larger partition. I suppose this answer could
    > also vary by specific operating system, although all Windows versions
    > might also behave the same in this respect (?).
    >
    > In any case the main question is, what settings, if any, need to be
    > changed if you wipe and reformat your disk, and then restore your
    > system partition to a new, larger partition, and any of the other
    > partitions to smaller or larger partitions (with enough room to hold
    > any data, of course)? Any help on this matter would be most
    > appreciated, especially links or leads to any legitimate documentation
    > covering the matter. Thanks.

    Though you cannot expand the system partition from within the os...
    if you use a utility such as partition magic and run it from a boot disk...
    you can then expand a system partition...(assuming you have the free space
    to do so)

    of course, you still need to back up your data...to be safe

    philo, Sep 2, 2007

  3. Guest

    Answer much appreciated; however, I should have mentioned the problem
    is with Windows Small Business Server 2003. It appears from the web
    info on Partition Magic that it only handles desktop Windows. What if
    I need to expand the system partition on SBS 2003 or Windows Server
    2003? Plus, I would sure like to do it just using current backup
    rather than having to buy software. The question is, if you wipe the
    disk and reformat with a larger system partition, then restore, can
    this mess anything up? In other words, are there already settings in
    place that relate to the size of the system partition? Thanks for any
    advice.

    , Sep 3, 2007