    I reinstalled Windows and have no sound. I had sound when I bought the
    laptop. What do I need to install to get sound back? I'm not even sure of
    what details I need to give people!

    Albert, Aug 15, 2009

  2. Albert

    Paul Guest

    Albert wrote:
    > I reinstalled Windows and have no sound. I had sound when I bought the
    > laptop. What do I need to install to get sound back? I'm not even sure of
    > what details I need to give people!

    Stating the make and model number of computer, makes life
    a lot simpler.

    *******

    You might need a "sound driver" for your sound chip.

    The manufacturer for the laptop will have a download page.
    They may place a driver there. You need to verify the driver
    is for the OS on your laptop. So if the OS on the laptop is
    WinXP, you'd want a WinXP driver.

    You can try Belarc Advisor, to get some information about
    the computer.

    *Do Not* copy the information verbatim from the
    Belarc results, into a USENET posting. The Belarc report
    may contain a copy of the WinXP CD key and other sensitive
    information. Only copy the pertinent bits of the report,
    if you want to copy something. The full Belarc report contains
    a lot of crap, and we're not interested in that anyway.

    These are some tidbits copied from my Belarc.

    Operating System Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
    Main Circuit Board 4CoreDual-SATA2
    Multimedia CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device

    Belarc may not report the Make and Model Number of the
    computer, so you should carefully find that info from the
    invoice for your computer. Something like "DV5000" might
    sound snazzy, but in some cases, there are specific model
    numbers, like DV5016, which may have options not present
    on other, similar models. In some cases, there may be
    a whole bunch of entries on the website, that might be
    based on DV5000. So sometimes, the *exact* model number
    is important, not just the "flashy" model number. The
    invoice may state what that is. Even the user manual
    may have a generic title, like "setting up your computer".

    From the snippet of Belarc above, I know the audio is
    coming from a PCI card. So I'd be looking for a CMedia.com
    driver.

    If my Belarc report, mentioned something about AC'97 or
    HDAudio, then those are part of the motherboard itself.
    Then I would want to know who made the motherboard. For
    a pre-built computer, going to the computer manufacturer
    site, may give a driver. In some cases, the driver may
    be for Vista, when you need a WinXP. Then the lonely
    search begins, to find a particular driver for your HDAudio.
    If the HDAudio chip was a RealTek, you could get it from
    RealTek.com.tw (one jumbo driver handles a whole bunch of
    stuff). If it was a Sigmatel, you'd have to scrounge
    around Dell or HP site, looking for something similar.
    Some drivers are very hard to find.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 15, 2009

  3. Albert

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > Albert wrote:
    >> I reinstalled Windows and have no sound. I had sound when I bought the
    >> laptop. What do I need to install to get sound back? I'm not even sure of
    >> what details I need to give people!

    > Stating the make and model number of computer, makes life
    > a lot simpler.

    Start-Control Panel - System - hardware tab - Device manager
    or
    Start-Control Panel - Sounds and Audio - Click HARDWARE tab.
    That's the hardware you have -
    click/check each to see device enabled ? , working OK ?.
    Somewhere you'll see - 'no driver installed' or "unknown device" etc

    - Bobb -, Aug 15, 2009
  4. "Albert" <> wrote in message
    >I reinstalled Windows and have no sound. I had sound when I bought the
    > laptop. What do I need to install to get sound back? I'm not even sure of
    > what details I need to give people!

    Visit the Website of the maker of the laptop and download all of drivers.

    Jeff Strickland, Aug 15, 2009
  5. Albert

    Albert Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > These are some tidbits copied from my Belarc.
    >
    > Operating System Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
    > Main Circuit Board 4CoreDual-SATA2
    > Multimedia CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device

    Belarc says 'None detected' under Multimedia. What do I need to do now?

    Albert, Aug 15, 2009
  6. Albert

    Albert Guest

    Bobb wrote:
    > Start-Control Panel - Sounds and Audio - Click HARDWARE tab.
    > That's the hardware you have -
    > click/check each to see device enabled ? , working OK ?.
    > Somewhere you'll see - 'no driver installed' or "unknown device" etc

    I've got a yellow question mark against Multimedia Audio Controller and I
    let Windows search online but it can't find what to install.

    Albert, Aug 15, 2009
  7. Albert

    Paul Guest

    Albert wrote:
    > Paul wrote:
    >> These are some tidbits copied from my Belarc.
    >>
    >> Operating System Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
    >> Main Circuit Board 4CoreDual-SATA2
    >> Multimedia CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device

    > Belarc says 'None detected' under Multimedia. What do I need to do now?

    Please post the make and model number of the computer.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 16, 2009
  8. Albert

    Albert Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Please post the make and model number of the computer.

    IBM 2648RA1

    Albert, Aug 16, 2009
  9. Albert

    Paul Guest

    Albert wrote:
    > Paul wrote:
    >> Please post the make and model number of the computer.

    > IBM 2648RA1

    So that seems to be a Thinkpad T23. I found one web page with
    2648RA1 and it had a BIOS release listed of 1AET56WW and I
    searched on that, to find this stuff.

    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/s.../downloadsDriversLandingPage.vm&validate=true

    There is an audio driver for WinXP. "Crystal WDM Audio".

    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-39956

    http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/aftp1axp.exe <--- the download

    Inside that executable installer, I can find the INF file.

    "cs429x.inf - Device description file for AC9x WDM driver files"

    Give the "aftp1axp.exe" file a try. As long as the AC'97 is enabled
    in the BIOS, I think it should work.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 16, 2009
  10. Albert

    Albert Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Give the "aftp1axp.exe" file a try.

    It doesn't work. I've still a yellow question mark that I mentioned in an
    earlier post.

    Albert, Aug 16, 2009
  11. Albert

    Albert Guest

    I wrote:
    > It doesn't work. I've still a yellow question mark that I mentioned in an
    > earlier post.

    It does work. Sorry for not following installation instructions properly on
    the site.

    Albert, Aug 16, 2009
  12. Albert

    Paul Guest

    Albert wrote:
    > I wrote:
    >> It doesn't work. I've still a yellow question mark that I mentioned in an
    >> earlier post.

    > It does work. Sorry for not following installation instructions properly on
    > the site.

    I didn't even notice it had instructions :) Good thing you caught it.
    I would have assumed you just click it.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 16, 2009
  13. Albert

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > Albert wrote:
    >> I wrote:
    >>> It doesn't work. I've still a yellow question mark that I mentioned in
    >>> an
    >>> earlier post.

    >> It does work. Sorry for not following installation instructions properly
    >> on
    >> the site.

    > I didn't even notice it had instructions :) Good thing you caught it.
    > I would have assumed you just click it.
    >
    > Paul

    All better ?
    Worst case - when viewing device, list right-click on "the device with
    yellow question mark " - DELETE. Are you sure ? YES
    no it's gone and you'll have to reboot, rescan to "have it found again" but
    for now -
    make a folder on desktop. save the EXE file there. Run the exe file. I'm
    guessing you'll end up with a few files - one ending in ". INF ".
    Either reboot or in device manager rightclick on 'your computer name (
    whatever is above " Computer") and elect to SCAN for HARDWARE changes. It
    should be found and prompt you for a driver. Browse to that new folder on
    the desktop and select the INF file.
    Done.
    Reboot to se if all OK and save that EXE file to a floppy/CD ( as well as
    any other drivers) because you'll need them "Next Time".

    - Bobb -, Aug 16, 2009