    Is there anything that can be done to restore my old emails? I had SO
    many important emails in my box that I cannot afford to lose them!

    Please advise someone!

    Chris, Jul 3, 2006

  2. Chris

    Guest

    Chris <> wrote:

    |>I used Netscape 7.1 with the integrated email suite. My browser
    |>crashed hard the other night. When I restarted, and opened my mail
    |>box, it was a clean slate. Netscape was asking me for my server
    |>settings, password and such. I filled it out and then realized that
    |>none of my emails are there. I went to the profile folder where all my
    |>mail files are stored and couldn't find my old one. My only guess is
    |>that when I started filling out the server info and such, it was
    |>overwritten.
    |>
    |>Is there anything that can be done to restore my old emails? I had SO
    |>many important emails in my box that I cannot afford to lose them!
    |>
    |>Please advise someone!

    Stop using the computer until you have a plan of recovery...

    google: restore deleted files (on a different computer of course)

    --
    http://tinyurl.com/ebbpc

    , Jul 3, 2006

  3. Chris

    Guest

    wrote:

    |>Stop using the computer until you have a plan of recovery...
    |>
    |>google: restore deleted files (on a different computer of course)

    XP assumed

    Download and create a Win98 boot disk
    http://1gighost.net/alaska/boot98se.exe

    Download and run ntfs2dos (to read ntfs drives) after booting up
    http://www.pelttech.com/tools/ntfs20r.zip

    Download unerase
    http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=4737952506633069

    boot up with the boot disk and run unerase on the drive, it should do
    what you want -

    It will list out all files that have been deleted, you just need to
    find yours and add the (any) first letter to the file (I'd save it to
    the floppy disk)

    --
    http://tinyurl.com/ebbpc

    , Jul 3, 2006
  4. Chris

    Guest

    , Jul 3, 2006
  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 19:41:23 -0700, wrote:

    >It will list out all files that have been deleted, you just need to
    >find yours and add the (any) first letter to the file (I'd save it to
    >the floppy disk)

    Problem is that the inbox file appears to have been overwritten, not
    simply deleted. I know that if you simply delete something, it still
    exists until it is overwritten by more data, but in the case of
    overwriting a file with the same name, is there anything that can be
    done to restore that or am I SOL?

    Chris, Jul 3, 2006
  6. Chris

    Guest

    Chris <> wrote:

    |>On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 19:41:23 -0700, wrote:
    |>

    |>>It will list out all files that have been deleted, you just need to
    |>>find yours and add the (any) first letter to the file (I'd save it to
    |>>the floppy disk)
    |>
    |>Problem is that the inbox file appears to have been overwritten, not
    |>simply deleted. I know that if you simply delete something, it still
    |>exists until it is overwritten by more data, but in the case of
    |>overwriting a file with the same name, is there anything that can be
    |>done to restore that or am I SOL?

    Hopefully it wrote a tmp file or the same file without the first
    letter. When you created the new data it didn't write over the file
    just the next place on the HD.

    Running CHKDSK or scandisk wouldn't hurt to see if the file was
    corrupt, it will be saved in a found directory, use a text editor on
    any files recovered and see if it's your missing data, sometimes just
    renaming the found file to the correct file name works (work with a
    copy)

    --
    The internet needs YOU!
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/02/ntia_icann_consultation/

    , Jul 3, 2006
  7. Chris

    pcbutts1 Guest

    I don't believe NS will overwrite it. Check to make sure that it did not
    rename the old one.

    pcbutts1, Jul 3, 2006