    thanks

    -_-_-
    milo

    milo, May 3, 2005

  2. milo wrote:
    > G'day
    >

    > is there a way of restoring my pc or laptop back to original settings ie the
    > day i got them, with out using the recovery floppys or cds?
    > thanks
    >
    > -_-_-
    > milo

    "@@" looks into crystal ball....hmmmmm
    ( )
    Have you tried "system restore"? You realize that you provided almost NO
    information about your problem.
    -max

    What's in a Name?, May 4, 2005

  3. milo

    milo Guest

    G'day
    sorry, i have a packard bell imedia 2.4 mg ,120 gig hd 512mem
    and an acer extnsa 2000 laptop both on network, both xp home
    i seem to be getting a lot of junk stuff on then, ive run spybot search
    and destroy but seems to still be getting alot of spy ware, im on adsl
    broadband..

    -_-_-
    milo

    milo, May 4, 2005
  4. milo

    JTJersey Guest

    On Tue, 03 May 2005 14:59:30 +0000, milo wrote:

    > G'day
    >

    > is there a way of restoring my pc or laptop back to original settings ie
    > the day i got them, with out using the recovery floppys or cds? thanks
    >
    > -_-_-
    > milo

    Not really. You need all of the hardware drivers and original software
    with whatever proprietary stuff they threw in. If you don't have the
    recovery discs go to the manufacturer's web site and see if they are
    available. It's about all you can do.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, May 5, 2005
  5. milo

    aleX Guest

    milo wrote:
    > G'day
    > sorry, i have a packard bell imedia 2.4 mg ,120 gig hd 512mem
    > and an acer extnsa 2000 laptop both on network, both xp home
    > i seem to be getting a lot of junk stuff on then, ive run spybot search
    > and destroy but seems to still be getting alot of spy ware, im on adsl
    > broadband..

    You often need much more than just Spybot S&D to get rid of existing
    adware, but it's a good start.

    First try to clean your PC completely of viruses and adware.
    Keep your Spybot up to date, and get other adware tools such as
    'Ad-Aware'. If either of these two are still reporting infection then
    you'll have to look at getting specific tools for the specific adware.
    Searching on the web for the adware name will help guide you.

    Make sure you have up-to-date Antivirus (free.grisoft.com for the free
    AVG antivirus), and even do extra online scanning at
    http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/ (Trend Micro also have a site
    for this)

    Use a firewall, such as the free ZoneAlarm.

    Once clean, 'Spywareblaster' and 'Spywareguard' can help stop more
    adware infecting your PC.

    If you want to go the whole hog and reformat your hard disk then make
    sure you have at least the WindowsXP CD (make sure it's 'full version'
    and not 'upgrade')and a bootup disc. You can make this disc just now in
    XP, and even download them on the web (bootdisk.com?). I recently used a
    Windows98 bootdisc to get into an XP Home machine - this is my favorite
    method as it seems to work with all new Windows versions. Make sure you
    DO have a bootdisc though before contemplating a re-format otherwise you
    won't get very far.

    aleX, May 5, 2005
  6. milo

    WebWalker Guest

    On Wed, 04 May 2005 04:38:57 GMT, "milo" <>
    wrote:

    >G'day
    >sorry, i have a packard bell imedia 2.4 mg ,120 gig hd 512mem
    >and an acer extnsa 2000 laptop both on network, both xp home
    >i seem to be getting a lot of junk stuff on then, ive run spybot search
    >and destroy but seems to still be getting alot of spy ware, im on adsl
    >broadband..

    To clean spyware, I use :-
    Ad-Aware
    Spybot
    Microsoft Antispyware (beta).

    Microsoft Antispyware is very very good in getting rid of IE's
    hijacked spyware.

    For Internet surfing, use Mozilla's Firefox. It is more secure than
    IE.

    Good luck

    --
    WebWalker

    WebWalker, May 6, 2005
  7. milo wrote:
    > G'day
    > sorry, i have a packard bell imedia 2.4 mg ,120 gig hd 512mem
    > and an acer extnsa 2000 laptop both on network, both xp home
    > i seem to be getting a lot of junk stuff on then, ive run spybot
    > search and destroy but seems to still be getting alot of spy ware,
    > im on adsl broadband..

    (middle posted for maximum confusion)
    Milo-
    As was already mentioned,you need more protection. I have some tips and
    links on my pages. See:
    Keeping Windows Clean: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/keepingclean.html
    Virus Prevention:
    http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/virusprevention.html