    drive). Every time I reinstall XP on drive C, I lose my dual boot forcing me
    to reinstall both operating systems, killing me on the time issue. Is there
    any way to restore the dual boot after reinstalling XP on drive C ?
    =?Utf-8?B?QWx0ZXJFZ29YWFg=?=, Oct 29, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QWx0ZXJFZ29YWFg=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Copy the ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini files to a floppy or CD when you
    have dual boot. After reinstalling xp copy the files back onto the root of
    your system drive (probably C, but check in Drive management) and reboot.

    John Barnes, Oct 29, 2006

  3. As John says, it's just a matter of copying a couple of files, usually. I do
    cover this in my blog post on dual booting in a good deal more detail.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/11/21/76180.aspx

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 29, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QWx0ZXJFZ29YWFg=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Sounds like mostly he needs a convenient place to store them for copying
    them frequently, that's why I suggested putting them on a removable device
    for easy retrieval each time. Your blog gives the procedure.

    John Barnes, Oct 29, 2006
  5. Yup. One wonders why he's rebuilding that much, but not really our problem.
    ;)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 29, 2006
  6. I rebuild because I test everything imaginable. I found a easy proceedure.
    Running fixboot, then bootcfg from the recovery console. Thanks though, I'll
    try your advice next time... -Brad

    =?Utf-8?B?QWx0ZXJFZ29YWFg=?=, Oct 30, 2006
  7. John's way is infinitly smarter, I think. 'Fixboot' can get you into
    trouble. What John says is harmless, and it's a one-time job. Getting into
    RC is a time-spender every time!

    Tony. . .

    > I rebuild because I test everything imaginable. I found a easy

    proceedure.
    > Running fixboot, then bootcfg from the recovery console. Thanks though,

    I'll
    > try your advice next time... -Brad
    >
    > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
    >
    > > Yup. One wonders why he's rebuilding that much, but not really our

    problem.
    > > ;)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Charlie.
    > > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    > >

    > > "John Barnes" <> wrote in message
    > > > Sounds like mostly he needs a convenient place to store them for

    copying
    > > > them frequently, that's why I suggested putting them on a removable

    device
    > > > for easy retrieval each time. Your blog gives the procedure.
    > > >

    > > > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in

    message

    usually. I

    message

    Tony Sperling, Oct 30, 2006
  8. That's what VMs are really, really good for. :)

    But if you do have this issue, I'd keep a little USB key with what you need
    to restore back on it. Simple, safe and a lot quicker than fixboot and
    bootcfg

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 30, 2006