Restoring a drive image problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dan, Dec 26, 2004.

  1. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Can some kind soul please advise on the following problem:

    Some months ago I cloned my C: drive with Drive Image 2002.
    The C: drive has 3 partitions. C for windows xp and the other 2 for Linux
    and its swap drive. All work perfectly. (Windows had Service pack 1
    installed)

    Now due to many annoying and niggling problems I want to restore the image I
    created.
    My problem is that each time I start up Drive Image from the floppy it comes
    up with error 91. I checked this on Powerquests site (now Symantec) and it
    states that a 'disk manager' is running and needs to be disabled. It also
    advises to check with the hard drive manufacturer to see whether this is
    required. I have done that and Western Digital states it is not required. I
    also downloaded a recommended WD tool to remove the 'disk manager'. But when
    running the tool "wrpog.exe" the 'disk manger' (or Dynamic Drive Overlay) is
    greyed out. Presumably there is no 'disk manager' on the drive?

    So Drive Image restore will not work until I remove this 'disk
    manager'....and I don't know how to do that.
    And the wrprog.exe that is supposed to do that does not see it. Sort of
    catch 22.
    If I can't get help on this one I will have to go for a complete new
    re--install of windows xp and the thought leaves me cold!!! Brrr! Please
    help.

    Thanks

    Dan

    PS Sorry for the long winded explanation but I am trying to give as much
    information that you experts may need. Probably got that wrong as well! :)

    --
    Thanks & regards,

    Dan, Dec 26, 2004

  2. Dan wrote:

    > Can some kind soul please advise on the following problem:
    >
    > Some months ago I cloned my C: drive with Drive Image 2002.
    > The C: drive has 3 partitions. C for windows xp and the other 2 for Linux
    > and its swap drive. All work perfectly. (Windows had Service pack 1
    > installed)
    >
    > Now due to many annoying and niggling problems I want to restore the image
    > I created.
    > My problem is that each time I start up Drive Image from the floppy it
    > comes up with error 91. I checked this on Powerquests site (now Symantec)
    > and it states that a 'disk manager' is running and needs to be disabled.
    > It also advises to check with the hard drive manufacturer to see whether
    > this is required. I have done that and Western Digital states it is not
    > required. I also downloaded a recommended WD tool to remove the 'disk
    > manager'. But when running the tool "wrpog.exe" the 'disk manger' (or
    > Dynamic Drive Overlay) is greyed out. Presumably there is no 'disk
    > manager' on the drive?

    Just a wild guess - which boot manager do you have installed to switch
    between windows and linux? Maybe it's a good idea to at least temporarily
    uninstall it?
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.9-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241]

    Walter Mautner, Dec 26, 2004

  3. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Thanks Walter. I have Grub installed. Not sure how I uninstall it but will
    google for a solution and give it a try.
    Thanks for the tip.

    Regards

    Dan

    Dan, Dec 26, 2004