    A few pointers, to not ignore something really important, would be
    appreciated.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 20, 2006

  2. Tony Sperling

    John Barnes Guest

    Everyone has their own preferences. I personally leave everything alone.
    Those items shared between O/S I point to the one I use and backup most
    (currently have all data files on X64 (shared with X86 and Vista), but with
    regards to Money, I have 2005 on X64 and trial of 2007 on Vista). Backup
    jobs are easy enough to set up to just backup the data files whereever you
    store them, if you backup that more often. So much defaults to My Documents
    now anyway. For me storage is cheap and backups don't take that long, and if
    you schedule them to run and shut down the machine, you just start one when
    you are thru for the day and unless you have a problem, you just have a
    fresh backup when you startup the next day.

    John Barnes, Aug 20, 2006

  3. I'd never go with a small system partition like that. You'll have problems
    in the long run. If it's only for the purposes of restoring, then it might
    make sense. I'm currently making my system partitions 30 Gb where I can, 20
    GB at a minimum.

    It's easy to move my docs. NOT easy to move program files. I don't recommend
    it. What I do recommend is that _as_ you install programs, you redirect
    those that can easily be redirected off of the system partition. But moving
    after the fact is just not going to work - too many references to the old
    location.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 20, 2006
  4. If you plan to restore Program Files (and the Registry, since the programs
    won't work otherwise) you will have to leave it on the same partition letter
    as it was on before. If reinstalling, you could change the partition if you
    wanted. My preference is to keep the programs and OS on the same partition.

    Opinions differ on whether to have data on a separate partition.
    If you have 10s or 100s of GB of, say, Photoshop images, it is probably
    better to keep your data on a separate partition so you don't
    unintentionally run out of space on your system partition while working on
    it. If you have only a few GB of user data, you might as well keep it on the
    system partition.

    Remember that some programs keep user data in the Program Files directory,
    and others in the User's Application Data directories which, as I'm sure you
    know, are hidden by default.

    Dominic Payer, Aug 20, 2006
  5. Those kinds of numbers remind me of the Win98 days. I think your
    calculations are off by a factor of ten. You need to consider temp files,
    the paging file, 15% for VSS, restore points, room for defragging to work
    efficiently, and so on. There is a lot more the the system drive than just
    the system files and programs. If your hardware can handle x64 then you
    already have plenty of power without tweaking a lot of stuff the old Windows
    way.

    If you are looking for efficiency try for asynchronious disk IO (reads and
    writes to different volumes simultaneously). You should think in terms
    locating data files on a separate spindle on a separate hdd controller and
    not on a separate partition on the system disk, where you cannot achieve
    asynchronious disk IO.

    Colin Barnhorst, Aug 21, 2006
  6. Added thought. SATA drives attached to SATA solo controllers are by
    definition separate spindles.

    Colin Barnhorst, Aug 21, 2006
  7. Thanks, that is interesting - I've had no end of trouble with the floppy, I
    build a RAID driver diskette and everything is perfect only to suddenly
    destroy the diskette such that it will not even format, hmm?

    I will return with proper comments, it's 4.00 hrs here and I am retiring!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 21, 2006