    2. In right-side pane, delete String value “LegacyDisable“.

    And that's it!

    Carlos
    Carlos, Mar 25, 2008

  2. Carlos

    Jane C Guest

    Carlos,

    That's interesting. I did a fresh install of Vista with SP1 integrated, and
    that string does not exist? My right-click context Search is still present.

    Perhaps it only affects those who install SP1 from WU or via the download
    exe.

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Jane C, Mar 26, 2008

  3. Carlos

    John Barnes Guest

    Thanks Carlos. Missed that convenience. I read somewhere that it was done
    late and was trying to avoid a lawsuit. Don't know if Jane's difference is
    because it was done too late for the SP1 disks or her country. A common
    complaint on the Vista groups and all 3 of my Vista SP1's caused the item to
    disappear from the context menus.

    John Barnes, Mar 26, 2008
  4. Carlos

    Jane C Guest

    Hi John,

    I doubt that country has anything to do with it - this is an .iso from
    Connect ;)
    I'll reboot into another Vista later that had SP1 from WU and do a comparo.

    Search on the right-hand side of the main Start Menu has gone for good
    though.

    Jane C, Mar 26, 2008
  5. Carlos

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Jane:
    I have 3 computers with Vista Enterprise x64 SP1, one installed from WU,
    one installed from the SP1 download and one fresh install from the software
    assurance Enterprise SP1 downloaded image. All three have the string that
    Carlos mentions, I haven't decided to do the edit yet. Have a great day.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    XP x64 SP2, Vista Enterprise x64 SP1

    Dennis Pack, Mar 26, 2008
  6. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    This is where I found the registry hack:
    http://www.askvg.com/how-to-add-missing-search-in-folders-context-menu-in-windows-vista-with-sp1/

    Carlos, Mar 26, 2008
  7. Carlos

    Jane C Guest

    Hi Dennis,

    This is really weird. I don't remember doing any hacks at all, yet that
    string is definitely absent here on x64 Ultimate integrated.

    Jane C, Mar 26, 2008
  8. Carlos

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Jane:
    My Enterprise x64 SP1 was downloaded through E-Open not Connect so the
    image file may be different. I think that I've got an image of Business x64
    SP1 that I could do a test installation to check for the file. Have a great
    day.

    Dennis Pack, Mar 28, 2008
  9. Carlos

    Jane C Guest

    Hi Dennis,

    I think my memory has been playing tricks on me again *sigh* (I blame the
    menopause). I must have done the regedit trick, and just forgot that I had
    :(

    Jane C, Mar 28, 2008
  10. Carlos

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Jane:
    They (I don't remember who) say that the memory is the second thing
    to go, don't say what's first and I can't remember what's first. I use the
    terminology that I can tell that I'm not thirty anymore and my son corrects
    me by saying that I'm not double it either. I won't repeat the answer that I
    gave him. Have a great day.

    Dennis Pack, Mar 29, 2008
  11. After a while the family starts letting you hide your own Easter eggs.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 29, 2008