    for few years, so there must be hundreds of them. Can anyone advise me,
    please where I should look for
    the past Restore Points and how to delete most of them?

    Zygy, Sep 25, 2006

  2. Zygy

    Max Ferger Guest

    Am 25.09.2006, 08:58 Uhr, schrieb Zygy <>:
    > [...] where I should look for the past Restore Points and how to delete most of them?

    Find your Settings under System->SystemProperties RegisterCard "System Restore"
    (German: Systemsteuerung->System->Systemwiederherstellung)

    There, you can disable or restrict hd-usage for system-recovery.

    You might clean up your harddrive finding the button under its proterties.
    (German: Systemprogramme->Datenträgerbereinigung->Weitere Optionen->Systemwiederherstellung bereinigen...)

    As far as I know, Windows has a limit of space used for system-recovery. Older restore-points are deleted automatically.

    Tschüß!

    Max Ferger

    Max Ferger, Sep 25, 2006

  3. Zygy

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 07:58:25 +0100, Zygy wrote:

    >OSWin.XPPro.I was advised to create a Systems Restore after scanning my
    >computer for all the known invaders, which I do once a week. That has
    >created a lot of Systems Restore entries, since I have now been doing that
    >for few years, so there must be hundreds of them. Can anyone advise me,

    There won't be hundreds.

    Last posted,

    From: why? - view profile
    Date: Sun, Jul 23 2006 5:42 pm
    Email: why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
    Groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    www.google.com or as it's a MS product, search the MS KB
    even searching past posts
    the article links for MS IIRC have been posted before.

    For those to follow, using Google to search.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=xp restore points

    http://www.google.com/search?q=xp restore points settings

    How system restore works, disk space settings
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/getstarted/ba...
    The System Restore feature is built into Windows XP and is used to
    return your computer to an earlier state if you have a system failure or
    other major problem with your computer. The point of System Restore is
    to restore your system to a workable state without you having to
    reinstall the operating system and lose your data files in the process.

    Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore in Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/plan/faqsrwxp.mspx
    General Questions General Questions
    How-To Guide How-To Guide
    Troubleshooting Troubleshooting
    Additional Information Additional Information

    Me

    why?, Sep 25, 2006
  4. Zygy

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Zygy" <> wrote:

    >OSWin.XPPro.I was advised to create a Systems Restore after scanning my
    >computer for all the known invaders, which I do once a week. That has
    >created a lot of Systems Restore entries, since I have now been doing that
    >for few years, so there must be hundreds of them. Can anyone advise me,
    >please where I should look for
    >the past Restore Points and how to delete most of them?

    There is a maximum amount of hard drive space that will be used by
    System Restore. Once this limit is reached, older restore points are
    automatically deleted as required to free up space for the new ones
    being created.

    You can specify the amount of disk space that System Restore can use
    by going to Control Panel - System - System Restore, selecting your
    hard drive partition (each partition will have its own System Restore
    data) and clicking on the Settings button. For most users a System
    Restore limit of between 700 mb and 1 gb will suffice to provide for
    at least a week to 10 days worth of restore points and that is
    sufficient. Going back further than 10 days with System Restore will
    generally create more problems than it solves.

    If your computer is stable and you have not made any substantive
    changes in the past week to 10 days then you can quite easily remove
    all but the most recent System Restore points. Do this by using Disk
    Cleanup (under Accessories - System Tools on the Start Menu). In Disk
    Cleanup and going to the More Options tab. The option to clean up
    System Restore is in the bottom section of the Window. Note that if
    you have more than 1 hard drive partition you should do this for each
    partition.

    For more information about System Restore see MVP Bert Kinney's System
    Restore pages: http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --