Restore network connections unreliable

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Monte Grant, Aug 17, 2004.

  1. Monte Grant

    Monte Grant Guest

    xp pro sp1

    Is it possible to restore a connection to another computer without
    restarting or logging off?

    This drives me crazy. On this lan with a router, there is connectivity to
    some machines but not others following a hibernate restart. I then log off
    and on again but the connections are restored only sometimes. Internet
    connectivity is always available at all machines.

    If I browse to the share on another computer, I often only find what looks
    like several offline folders (which I did not set up to be available
    offline). I only set up 2 other folders.

    Being that the connections are not always reliably restored, and sometimes
    when they are, it is too late for programs (such as Briefcase) to notice...

    How can I reliably restore a connection while logged on?

    Nick
    Monte Grant, Aug 17, 2004

  2. Monte Grant

    Alceryes Guest

    "Monte Grant" <> wrote in message
    > xp pro sp1
    >
    > Is it possible to restore a connection to another computer without
    > restarting or logging off?
    >
    > This drives me crazy. On this lan with a router, there is connectivity to
    > some machines but not others following a hibernate restart. I then log
    > off
    > and on again but the connections are restored only sometimes. Internet
    > connectivity is always available at all machines.
    >
    > If I browse to the share on another computer, I often only find what looks
    > like several offline folders (which I did not set up to be available
    > offline). I only set up 2 other folders.
    >
    > Being that the connections are not always reliably restored, and sometimes
    > when they are, it is too late for programs (such as Briefcase) to
    > notice...
    >
    > How can I reliably restore a connection while logged on?
    >
    > Nick

    Try pulling up Search and hit the 'search for computers or people' link and
    type the IP of the computer you're trying to connect to.
    Also, do you get to the shared folders with just a shortcut or by way of
    Network Neighborhood? If so, try 'mapping' the folder instead.
    --

    "I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
    - Alceryes
    Alceryes, Aug 17, 2004