    Alasdair Baxter, Nottingham, UK.Tel +44 115 9705100; Fax +44 115 9423263

    "It's not what you say that matters but how you say it.
    It's not what you do that matters but how you do it"
    Alasdair Baxter, Feb 3, 2005

  2. Alasdair Baxter

    Miggsee Guest

    The restore disk is particular to that laptop. It has drivers, etc.
    specifically for that laptop. It is highly unlikely that it would work on
    another computer.

    However, you could format the laptop's HDD, and install Win2k. BUT, you
    would have to have all the drivers for the laptop.

    Miggsee, Feb 3, 2005

  3. Miggsee wrote:
    > The restore disk is particular to that laptop. It has drivers, etc.
    > specifically for that laptop. It is highly unlikely that it would work on
    > another computer.
    >
    > However, you could format the laptop's HDD, and install Win2k. BUT, you
    > would have to have all the drivers for the laptop.

    So you just blow through town every now and then and don't stop to
    visit? Gotten too high and mighty?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Feb 3, 2005
  4. Alasdair Baxter

    Miggsee Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Miggsee wrote:
    >> The restore disk is particular to that laptop. It has drivers, etc.
    >> specifically for that laptop. It is highly unlikely that it would work on
    >> another computer.
    >>
    >> However, you could format the laptop's HDD, and install Win2k. BUT, you
    >> would have to have all the drivers for the laptop.

    > So you just blow through town every now and then and don't stop to visit?
    > Gotten too high and mighty?

    Bless you, Rôgêr! <TIC> :)~ HTHAY?
    Miggsee, Feb 3, 2005
  5. Alasdair Baxter wrote:
    > I have a Restore Disk instead of an OS disk for my new laptop. This
    > has Windows XP Professional on it. How can I use this disk to install
    > the Windows XP Professional on another PC and put Win 2K on the
    > laptop? Please?

    You cannot. OEM licences are tied to the system they are shipped with.
    Besides a restore disc doesn't even contain the OS - it contains the means
    to unlock the hidden hard drive partition that contains the operating system
    install files. Putting 2000 on the laptop would also invalidate the
    warranty. If you want XP on another system, you'll have to buy it.

    As someone else said, you'd need to look a drivers, though that isn't such a
    big problem for 2000 as it's still widely supported.

    on salads.
    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Feb 3, 2005
  6. Miss Perspicacia Tick, <>, wrote:

    > Alasdair Baxter wrote:
    >> I have a Restore Disk instead of an OS disk for my new laptop. This
    >> has Windows XP Professional on it. How can I use this disk to
    >> install the Windows XP Professional on another PC and put Win 2K on
    >> the laptop? Please?

    > You cannot. OEM licences are tied to the system they are shipped with.

    wrote the mental **** who also wrote "Please check your facts before
    posting."

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!

    Rabia ibn Nuh al-Harawi, Feb 3, 2005
  7. Alasdair Baxter

    WormWood Guest

    WormWood, Feb 3, 2005
  8. Alasdair Baxter

    Sweet n Sour Guest

    Not only is it the missing or wrong drivers.
    All Restore Disks are "personalized" to that particular
    Laptop or Desktop. They won't let themselves install on another Computer.
    Not even the OS itself.
    That's why the great discussion about Restore CD and Original CD came up.
    Sweet n Sour, Feb 3, 2005
  9. Alasdair Baxter

    Miggsee Guest

    "WormWood" <> wrote in message

    > "Miggsee" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message

    >>> So you just blow through town every now and then and don't stop to
    >>> visit? Gotten too high and mighty?

    >> Bless you, Rôgêr! <TIC> :)~ HTHAY?

    Original reply, eh? ;)~ teeheehee
    Miggsee, Feb 3, 2005
  10. On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:50:11 -0000, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
    <> wrote:

    >You cannot. OEM licences are tied to the system they are shipped with.
    >Besides a restore disc doesn't even contain the OS - it contains the means
    >to unlock the hidden hard drive partition that contains the operating system
    >install files. Putting 2000 on the laptop would also invalidate the
    >warranty. If you want XP on another system, you'll have to buy it.

    Does that mean that if I fit a new hard drive to the computer with XP,
    the restore disk is useless?

    Alasdair Baxter, Feb 3, 2005
  11. On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:50:11 -0000, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
    <> wrote:

    >You cannot. OEM licences are tied to the system they are shipped with.
    >Besides a restore disc doesn't even contain the OS - it contains the means
    >to unlock the hidden hard drive partition that contains the operating system
    >install files. Putting 2000 on the laptop would also invalidate the
    >warranty. If you want XP on another system, you'll have to buy it.

    My restore disks contain the OS.

    Swill

    --
    "Local Power Company, how may I assist you today?"

    "My power is going out."

    "Have all your lights gone?"

    "No, just the one in the refrigerator."

    www.userfriendly.org
    Governor Swill, Feb 3, 2005
  12. On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 15:58:56 +0000, Alasdair Baxter <>
    wrote:

    >Does that mean that if I fit a new hard drive to the computer with XP,
    >the restore disk is useless?

    If you have restore disks, they should work fine. Mine did.

    Swill
    ....who is starting to get confused by all the claims and counterclaims
    in this thread so can only express his personal experience.

    Governor Swill, Feb 3, 2005
  13. Alasdair Baxter

    Stickems. Guest

    Yes, that's right, useless.

    Stickems., Feb 3, 2005
  14. Alasdair Baxter

    Stickems. Guest

    What make of computer did your Restore Disk come with?

    Stickems., Feb 3, 2005
  15. Alasdair Baxter

    WormWood Guest

    "Miggsee" <> wrote in message
    > "WormWood" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Miggsee" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message

    >>> Bless you, Rôgêr! <TIC> :)~ HTHAY?

    >> Yeah, what Rôgêr said <| :))
    >>

    > Original reply, eh? ;)~ teeheehee

    Rôgêr's my Cyrano :)
    WormWood, Feb 3, 2005
  16. Alasdair Baxter

    Lot Daumann Guest

    24hourfuckup.idiotdesk full of tittering schoolgirls

    Lot Daumann, Feb 3, 2005
  17. On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 17:37:30 GMT, "Stickems." <>
    wrote:

    >What make of computer did your Restore Disk come with?

    Mine was an Iridium Starbook laptop model 860

    Alasdair Baxter, Feb 4, 2005
  18. Alasdair Baxter

    Stickems. Guest

    My question was directed to Mr. Swill as he claimed that the O/S was on his
    restore disk, which would be most unusual. You can rest assured that the O/S
    is not on your restore disk.

    Stickems., Feb 5, 2005