    yet the backup.bkf file is 119901kb in size.

    Any suggestions and/or help would be GREATLY appreciated!

    Cheers
    thecat131, Jan 3, 2010

  2. thecat131

    Scott Guest

    On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 22:41:01 -0800, thecat131
    <> wrote:

    >Hi there
    >Some time ago I set up the Backup feature on Windows XP Pro so that my
    >laptop data got backed up daily to an external hard drive.
    >
    >The laptop was recently stolen but thankfully, the external hard drive was
    >left behind and I have a Mac desktop computer with Bootcamp.
    >
    >When I restore the backup.bkf file, the directories are all there, but there
    >is no data - not a Word, Excel, PDF or any other type of file to be found
    >yet the backup.bkf file is 119901kb in size.
    >
    >Any suggestions and/or help would be GREATLY appreciated!
    >
    >Cheers

    Have you tried a search of the external drive looking for files of the
    type *.doc, *.xls etc?
    Scott, Jan 3, 2010

  3. thecat131

    thecat131 Guest

    "Scott" wrote:

    > On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 22:41:01 -0800, thecat131
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi there
    > >Some time ago I set up the Backup feature on Windows XP Pro so that my
    > >laptop data got backed up daily to an external hard drive.
    > >
    > >The laptop was recently stolen but thankfully, the external hard drive was
    > >left behind and I have a Mac desktop computer with Bootcamp.
    > >
    > >When I restore the backup.bkf file, the directories are all there, but there
    > >is no data - not a Word, Excel, PDF or any other type of file to be found
    > >yet the backup.bkf file is 119901kb in size.
    > >
    > >Any suggestions and/or help would be GREATLY appreciated!
    > >
    > >Cheers

    > Have you tried a search of the external drive looking for files of the
    > type *.doc, *.xls etc?
    > .

    Yes, that's how I know there are only directories on the external hard
    drive, nothing else
    thecat131, Jan 4, 2010
  4. You really should be talking about this in one of the 32-bit groups.
    This group is for 64-bit Windows discussions.

    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

    microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

    Bobby Johnson, Jan 4, 2010
  5. Have you cataloged the bkf file in XP Backup to see what is present in it?

    Dominic Payer, Jan 4, 2010
  6. thecat131

    thecat131 Guest

    "Dominic Payer" wrote:

    > Have you cataloged the bkf file in XP Backup to see what is present in it?

    Hey Dominic
    Not sure what you mean by this. Can you give me step by step instructions
    or let me know where I can find more infoplease?

    Cheers
    Cathy
    thecat131, Jan 5, 2010
  7. Switch XP Backup to Advanced Mode.

    Then select the Restore and Manage Media tab and in Tools select Catalog
    a backup file and Catalog your bkf.

    Dominic Payer, Jan 5, 2010
  8. thecat131

    thecat131 Guest

    Hey Dominic
    Thanks for the info.

    I did this and when I expaned each item, it tells me 'no items found'.

    I have a feeling 'Pegasus' (another forum member) may be right - the back up
    never actually took place. What I don't understand is why the backup.bkf
    file is so large (119,910kb).

    Guess the learning from this experience is to test your Emergency Procedures
    regularly and before you actually need the!

    Cheers

    thecat131, Jan 5, 2010
  9. It looks as if the backup reserved the space needed but was unable to
    write the backup details. Many years ago I had a similar experience.

    Always check that your backups are backing up and that you can restore
    at least a test file.

    Microsoft backups are not readable natively on Windows version upgrades
    and they promise, but fail to deliver promptly or at all, appropriate
    utilities. I use Acronis True Image Home, as do many others, and the
    backups are readable and recoverable from any Windows version.

    On 05/01/2010 22:41, thecat131 wrote:
    > Hey Dominic
    > Thanks for the info.
    >
    > I did this and when I expaned each item, it tells me 'no items found'.
    >
    > I have a feeling 'Pegasus' (another forum member) may be right - the back up
    > never actually took place. What I don't understand is why the backup.bkf
    > file is so large (119,910kb).
    >
    > Guess the learning from this experience is to test your Emergency Procedures
    > regularly and before you actually need the!
    >
    > Cheers
    >

    > "Dominic Payer" wrote:
    >
    >> Switch XP Backup to Advanced Mode.
    >>
    >> Then select the Restore and Manage Media tab and in Tools select Catalog
    >> a backup file and Catalog your bkf.

    >>> Hey Dominic
    >>> Not sure what you mean by this. Can you give me step by step instructions
    >>> or let me know where I can find more infoplease?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>> Cathy

    Dominic Payer, Jan 5, 2010
  10. thecat131

    ebloch Guest

    I would find another backup program which is reliable.

    Replicator (free) at http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp
    has worked reliably for me on Win XP and Vista.

    Eric

    ebloch, Jan 6, 2010