Restore a Compaq

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Lonny Bruce, Jan 14, 2005.

  1. Lonny Bruce

    Lonny Bruce Guest

    I have a question that on it's face seems simple enough, but I could use
    some advice from more experienced peeps here in this Newsgroup.

    Compaq 6350us Desktop
    Windows XP Home SP2
    3 years old

    This computer has picked up a couple of viruses. I have removed the
    viruses, but the damage is done. I think the hard drive needs to be
    formatted, and then restore Windows. Problem is I don't have the restore
    disks, and Compaq is out of stock and cannot supply them.

    Can I just purchase OEM version of Windows XP Home and install on this
    computer? Will it work ok?

    Will I also have to install drivers? If I need to install drivers, they are
    available as downloads from Compaq (HP).

    Thanks for your advice on how to go about this.

    Lonny
    --
    Enjoy my new sailing web site
    http://sail247.com
    Lonny Bruce, Jan 14, 2005

  2. Lonny Bruce

    Jamco Guest

    Yes you should be able to get all the drivers you need from compaq, and
    format your hard drive.
    But try and download the drivers first before formatting, and burn them to a
    cd.
    You may format your computer and find your network or modem doesn't because
    you don't have a driver for it, and without the driver, you can't get the
    driver :)

    Jamco, Jan 14, 2005

  3. Lonny Bruce

    AG Guest

    What he said plus if it were me I would download the drivers on someone
    else's computer just in case the infected computer should infect the
    drivers.

    AG

    AG, Jan 14, 2005
  4. Lonny Bruce

    Lonny Bruce Guest

    Thank you. I do have another computer hooked to the internet for doing the
    downloading.

    Any other advice?

    Lonny

    Lonny Bruce, Jan 14, 2005
  5. Lonny Bruce

    AG Guest

    Use soap.
    OOPS wrong ng.
    Put antivirus on the new computer before you copy any data from the old one.

    AG

    AG, Jan 14, 2005
  6. Lonny Bruce

    me Guest

    what do you mean the damage is done? what damage exactly did the viruses do
    and what virus(es) were on your machine?

    me, Jan 14, 2005
  7. On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:09:42 GMT, "Lonny Bruce"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a question that on it's face seems simple enough, but I could use
    >some advice from more experienced peeps here in this Newsgroup.
    >
    >Compaq 6350us Desktop
    >Windows XP Home SP2
    >3 years old
    >
    >This computer has picked up a couple of viruses. I have removed the
    >viruses, but the damage is done.

    What damage is done? Will it work at all? If it is still working, and
    the viruses are gone, have you tried a simple reinstall of the OS?

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jan 14, 2005
  8. Lonny Bruce

    Kenny Guest

    Get Belarc and/or Everest, run them to identify the hardware, then make sure
    you have up to date drivers. Both are free.
    http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=1
    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Jan 15, 2005
  9. Lonny Bruce

    Guest

    Hey, guess what.

    Depending on whats whats wrong with your Compaq, you might have
    serveral options.

    First of all, you don't need to buy a copy of Windows XP home. All you
    need is the media. The Compaq has a sticker on the side of the case
    with the product key. So if you can find, borrow, steal, or download a
    copy of OEM XP Home, then you just enter your product key and you have
    a legal version of windows. It will even activate w/out calling MS.

    If you send me a blank CD and a return envelope, I'll make you a cd.

    The Compaq "restore" cds include not only the OS, but the drivers, the
    programs that came with the PC (Works, money, Compaq internet server,
    etc..) You are better off with a straight OEM copy.

    The other thing is, most likely, there is a "hidden" partition, called
    Compaq restore. Depends on what on it, you might have all your
    drivers, programs, etc stored right there. I dont have a compaq in
    front of me, but the basic steps that I used berfore went somthing like
    this. a) used a program like winrar to view the hidden zip or cab
    files. b) look for a folder called "icons" c) extract the folder and
    look at the icons. For example, you see an icon for msmoney and its
    titled 8453455934. Then you go to the "programs" folder and extrace
    the zip/cab file called "8453455934" Bingo, now you can install MS
    Money. Same thing goes for the drivers. LTWin modem has a phone icon,
    NIC cards have NIC Icons, etc.

    I dont think the full OS is on that partition, but the drivers/programs
    are.

    The third thing you might want to try is just do a system restore to as
    far back as you can go. If your system is hosed, but you have a
    restore point from last year, then there you go.

    Good Luck
    , Jan 15, 2005
  10. Lonny Bruce

    Lonny Bruce Guest

    Great ideas. Thanks.

    I know that on some Compaqs the restore info is stored on a seperate
    partition on the hard drive. However that does not seem to be the case on
    this computer. But I didn't know to look to hidden files.

    Lonny

    Lonny Bruce, Jan 15, 2005
  11. Lonny Bruce

    Guest

    > True, but unless I'm wrong there's a 120 day waiting period after an
    > installation has been done, assuming that the other PC having the

    Windows XP
    > on it has sufficiently different hardware in it from his PC. If it

    were the
    > same, then there'd be no hassle with this 120 day waiting thing.

    HuH?

    if he is doing a clean install of XP, and using his key from the side
    of the Compaq, then he will have no problems. Thats his COA Key, he
    owns it. The media that he installs XP from dosnt matter, as long as
    the version matches the key. In his spefic case he needs the XP Home
    OEM media.

    You can use the same media to install 1 copy of windows, or 10,000, as
    long as you have a valid key and license.

    The reason that he will not have any problems activating it is that
    Compaq, Dell, Gateway, etc.. Dont atcually use the key that they sell
    you to install the hardware. They use a special Reseller key that they
    can ghost at the factory.

    The other reason that he wont have any problems with activation is that
    his hardware will not change at all. So the magic info that is sent to
    MS matches the info they already have and the product will activate.

    You can try that at home. Wipe out your hard drive, but dont change
    any hardware. Reinstall windows. As long as you didnt change any
    hardware, it will activate w/ no problems.

    ***************************

    On e a side not, isn't it nice to know that when you buy Windows all
    you are really getting for your money is 20 digit key that allows you
    to use your software?
    , Jan 15, 2005
  12. Lonny Bruce

    «BONEHEAD>> Guest

    "Tom MacIntyre" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:09:42 GMT, "Lonny Bruce"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I have a question that on it's face seems simple enough, but I could use
    > >some advice from more experienced peeps here in this Newsgroup.
    > >
    > >Compaq 6350us Desktop
    > >Windows XP Home SP2
    > >3 years old
    > >
    > >This computer has picked up a couple of viruses. I have removed the
    > >viruses, but the damage is done.

    > What damage is done? Will it work at all? If it is still working, and
    > the viruses are gone, have you tried a simple reinstall of the OS?

    you could try this handy tool,

    http://www.driver-soft.com/

    while I do not advocate craxoring software, a little birdy told me
    you can get full activation from here...

    http://tinyurl.com/4hhy2

    It works great for your situation.....
    «BONEHEAD>>, Jan 15, 2005
  13. Lonny Bruce

    Lonny Bruce Guest

    Well, just a follow up. I got a new OEM copy of Windows XP Home and

    installed it on the Compaq after formatting the hard drive. After an

    automatic search of the internet, Windows found all of the drivers needed,

    except for one that I had to download from HP (Compaq), and one that I had

    to download from D-link for the wireless connection. Until then I was able

    to surf using an Ethernet connection.

    I used my original existing product key off of the Compaq to activate

    Windows, and it worked just fine.

    That means I still have an unused product key that came with the new copy of

    Windows that I just purchased. So, I can use that key somewhere else, I

    guess.

    Thanks for your help, all.

    Lonny

    Lonny Bruce, Jan 20, 2005