Restore 2003 Server to Different Hardware

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Slarty Bartfast, Jun 9, 2005.

  1. I'm trying to setup my disaster recovery plan for a windows 2003 server
    running TS. It is
    currently on old IBM hardware, but for disaster recovery I will need to know
    how to restore to some later IBM hardware. What would be the best path to
    bring the box back to life?
    Any suggestions please?

    For a test, I am currently in the slow process of installing 2003 on
    different hardware and am going to restore the full backup over it from the
    old 2003 server, then do a 'repair install' of 2003.
    I'm not sure if this will work considering 2003 and TS licensing and other
    issues to do with 2003.

    However, I have (after much effort) successfully restored a 2000 Domain
    Controller that had FSMO, GC, DNS and Exchange 5.5 to different hardware. If
    anyone would like my notes on how I did this, let me know.

    But at the moment, I'm trying to do the same with 2003.

    --

    Regards,

    Slarty Bartfast

    - "Huh? I mean seriously, and with great sincerity, HUH?"
    Slarty Bartfast, Jun 9, 2005

  2. BTW, the 2000 Domain Controller restore was done with no other DC's
    available.
    I took the worst case scenario such as a fire, and I had to restore only
    from a backup tape to new hardware.

    --

    Regards,

    Slarty Bartfast

    - Never let your mind wander, it's too small to be left alone.
    Slarty Bartfast, Jun 9, 2005

  3. Slarty Bartfast

    zenner Guest

    AS long as you install the correct OS and the system configuration is
    logically the same. discs have same configuration, equal or greater
    capacity...Clusters, Multi processors...any drivers are appropriate for the
    new system. Restore to new hardware is "generally" no different that to the
    old hardware. The trick is be sure the new OS is functionally identical to
    the old one.

    Further, if you are doing this right, you will have tested the process,
    before you need to do a crisis level recovery.

    zenner, Jun 9, 2005
  4. Good old vmware p2v
    no more tears!

    On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 10:02:55 +1000, "Slarty Bartfast"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm trying to setup my disaster recovery plan for a windows 2003 server
    >running TS. It is
    >currently on old IBM hardware, but for disaster recovery I will need to know
    >how to restore to some later IBM hardware. What would be the best path to
    >bring the box back to life?
    >Any suggestions please?
    >
    >For a test, I am currently in the slow process of installing 2003 on
    >different hardware and am going to restore the full backup over it from the
    >old 2003 server, then do a 'repair install' of 2003.
    >I'm not sure if this will work considering 2003 and TS licensing and other
    >issues to do with 2003.
    >
    >However, I have (after much effort) successfully restored a 2000 Domain
    >Controller that had FSMO, GC, DNS and Exchange 5.5 to different hardware. If
    >anyone would like my notes on how I did this, let me know.
    >
    >But at the moment, I'm trying to do the same with 2003.

    +_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_
    Sergeant Hartwell Says:
    You will not say a word! You will not speak unless spoken to! Do you ladies understand me?
    (Sir! Yes! Sir!).
    From this point forward you will eat, think and dream Windows Server 2003! Do you maggots understand?
    (Sir! Yes! Sir!)
    We are in a war, Gentlemen! The future of the free world depends on you people becoming Microsoft certified! You each will become a MCSE! Every time you see a router that isnt RRAS you will kill it! What are you going to do ladies?
    (Kill! Kill! Kill!).
    +_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_
    Marlin Munroe (The PFY), Jun 16, 2005
  5. Slarty Bartfast

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    I would love to see your notes on restoring your 2000 DC to different hardware.
    , Oct 25, 2006
  6. Slarty Bartfast

    msantos333

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    restoring 2000

    I love to see your documentation as I'm looking of having a disater recovery plan. Thank you ion advance.

    msantos333, Mar 24, 2010
  7. Slarty Bartfast

    Sonnybear

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    universal restore is for restoring server os to another computer

    complex way to restore os to another computer years ago, but now, it is easier.
    a new feature, named as universal restore has been exploited, but i only little restore software could do this, so you may try to google this
    I only know eaues todo backup could do an easy process of universal restore.
    BTW, the detailed step-by-step instruction helped me a lot about the process
    But it is not free.
    Why could't offer it as an free service for all the restore software with such feature?
    Sonnybear, Feb 25, 2011