    Ideas? I can't make head or tail out of the technical jargon from the
    Microsoft site.

    Gerry
    Gerry Wolf, Sep 28, 2004

  2. Gerry Wolf

    °Mike° Guest

    What are the VERBATIM error messages?

    On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 19:59:58 GMT, in
    <2pj6d.66940$-kc.rr.com>
    Gerry Wolf scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 28, 2004

  3. Gerry Wolf wrote:

    > I've been having nothing but trouble. Restarts upon restarts for the
    > smallest things. Reading email..pop, restart., loading a movie in
    > moviemaker..pop, restart, playing games...pop, restart. I'm tired of this,
    > the error messages differ, but lately they reference drivers that are
    > installed with Wondows 2000. Why? I'm running Windows XP Home upgrade
    > version from Win 98. I just received a 0x000000D1 after getting a
    > 0x00000023. I haven't any idea what to attempt to correct as I'm totally
    > befuddled. This machine is about a week old!

    Take it back to the shop you bought it from.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Sep 28, 2004
  4. Gerry Wolf wrote:

    > I've been having nothing but trouble. Restarts upon restarts for the
    > smallest things. Reading email..pop, restart., loading a movie in
    > moviemaker..pop, restart, playing games...pop, restart. I'm tired of this,
    > the error messages differ, but lately they reference drivers that are
    > installed with Wondows 2000. Why? I'm running Windows XP Home upgrade
    > version from Win 98. I just received a 0x000000D1 after getting a
    > 0x00000023. I haven't any idea what to attempt to correct as I'm totally
    > befuddled. This machine is about a week old!

    That proves it is junk. Not your job to find out the reason (can be a bad
    ram stick, a overclocked cpu, bad/too weak powersupply ...). Take it back
    for exchange or refund.

    > Chipset drivers? The board is a FIC AU13 with the nVIDIA nForce2 SPP
    > chipset.

    If you have no chance to exchange the beast, run memtest86. Go into bios and
    load "failsafe defaults" or "setup defaults" whatever you got. Find a
    knoppix cd (many computer magazines have one or the other derivative inside
    these days) and check your computer without interfering with what's on the
    harddrive - maybe you already have corrupted systemfiles due to repeated
    reboots. Even when the fsck or journal rollback leaves the filesystem
    without errors, some files can end up truncated, zeroed or filled with
    garbage.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.8reiser4pkt [LinuxCounter#295241]
    Walter Mautner, Sep 28, 2004