Restarts after install

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Jeff, Aug 7, 2005.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I Just built a new system:
    Asus A8V-E deluxe
    AMD X64 x2
    2 250gb Maxtor SATA II config: SPAN
    ATI 850xt
    2 gb ram

    I just built this new system and after some trouble I got windows to start
    installing the installation appeared to go fine. Then the system rebooted
    and brought me to that screen
    Safemode
    safemode with networking

    Normal (last know working config)

    I selected normal and the system immeaditly reboots, and brings me back to
    that screen, safemode same thing happens. Can anyone help?
    With the x64 version of windows I bought it camewith an OEM preinstallation
    disc. I put it in before regular disc, it brought me to a GUI and a cmd
    prompt didn't know what to type so took out the disc and put in the regular
    disc. Could this be part of the problem?
    Jeff

    Jeff, Aug 7, 2005

  2. You do NOT want to use the OEM Pre-Installation disk, but the regular disk.
    And you need to use updated SATA drivers. (Use the VIA controlled SATA
    connectors, NOT the Promise ones.) You'll have to copy the drivers onto a
    floppy and install them with F6 during initial boot

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 7, 2005

  3. HI Charlie,

    I've got the same problem below & I am using the promise raid hardware not
    the VIA one. What can I do ???

    It will be a nightmare for me to rebuild the machine on the via controller.
    DO anyone knows what can be done to overcome this issue & have the 64bit
    installed on my promise controller ???

    Please help, it is driving me nuts here.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWF6ZW4=?=, Aug 9, 2005
  4. Get Promise to write drivers. Otherwise, no, nothing will change. There's no
    magic here. Promise has been seriously late to the game with acceptible
    drivers. VIA, for all they're supposedly "budget", have been providing
    excellent support all through the beta process and now have full WHQL drivers
    that support their hardware.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 10, 2005