    before it has finished rebooting and the only way I can stop it is to
    open a word document and leave it open. It's running on windows xp with
    256 megs of memory, could it be that what it needs is more memory?

    Dennis Blackwell, Aug 11, 2007

  2. Dennis Blackwell

    Ron Martell Guest

    Dennis Blackwell <> wrote:

    >I have a computer that continues to restart every few minutes or right
    >before it has finished rebooting and the only way I can stop it is to
    >open a word document and leave it open. It's running on windows xp with
    >256 megs of memory, could it be that what it needs is more memory?

    1. Open Control Panel - System - Advanced and click on Settings
    button in Startup and Recovery (bottom) section. In the Startup and
    Recovery window click on the checkbox for "automatically restart" to
    clear it then click on OK and Apply as needed to exit.

    That should result in a "Blue Screen Of Death" STOP error message
    instead of a restart. If that happens then make note of the contents
    of the STOP error message, especually the STOP code, all 4 parameter
    values, and any file or module names mentioned. Post that
    information back here.

    2. If the restarts persist right-click on My Computer and select
    Manage. Expand the Event Viewer category and browse through the
    System and Application categories looking for red-flagged error
    records with a date and time stamp that corresponds to your restart
    incidents. Double click on an error record to see the details of the
    error. Post that error information back here.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, Aug 11, 2007

  3. Ron Martell wrote:
    > Dennis Blackwell <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a computer that continues to restart every few minutes or right
    >> before it has finished rebooting and the only way I can stop it is to
    >> open a word document and leave it open. It's running on windows xp with
    >> 256 megs of memory, could it be that what it needs is more memory?

    > 1. Open Control Panel - System - Advanced and click on Settings
    > button in Startup and Recovery (bottom) section. In the Startup and
    > Recovery window click on the checkbox for "automatically restart" to
    > clear it then click on OK and Apply as needed to exit.
    >
    > That should result in a "Blue Screen Of Death" STOP error message
    > instead of a restart. If that happens then make note of the contents
    > of the STOP error message, especually the STOP code, all 4 parameter
    > values, and any file or module names mentioned. Post that
    > information back here.
    >
    > 2. If the restarts persist right-click on My Computer and select
    > Manage. Expand the Event Viewer category and browse through the
    > System and Application categories looking for red-flagged error
    > records with a date and time stamp that corresponds to your restart
    > incidents. Double click on an error record to see the details of the
    > error. Post that error information back here.
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    I did everything that you instructed me to do in #1, and it did stop
    rebooting and I do get the "Blue Screen Of Death" this is what it says:

    A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent
    damage to your computer

    If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart
    your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

    Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified
    I e stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for
    driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

    Check with your hardware vendor for any bios updates, Disable Bios
    memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe
    Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to
    select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

    Technical Information:
    *** Stop: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005 , 0x00000156,0xF3060824 , 0x00000000)

    Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete
    Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further
    assistance.

    This is the message I get before it can finished booting

    thank you for your help in advance

    Dennis Blackwell, Aug 30, 2007
  4. Dennis Blackwell

    meerkat Guest

    "Dennis Blackwell" <> wrote in message
    > Ron Martell wrote:
    >> Dennis Blackwell <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a computer that continues to restart every few minutes or right
    >>> before it has finished rebooting and the only way I can stop it is to
    >>> open a word document and leave it open. It's running on windows xp with
    >>> 256 megs of memory, could it be that what it needs is more memory?

    snipped some.

    > I did everything that you instructed me to do in #1, and it did stop
    > rebooting and I do get the "Blue Screen Of Death" this is what it says:
    >
    > A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent
    > damage to your computer
    >
    > If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your
    > computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
    >
    > Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified I
    > e stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for
    > driver updates. Try changing video adapters.
    >
    > Check with your hardware vendor for any bios updates, Disable Bios memory
    > options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to
    > remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select
    > Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.
    >
    > Technical Information:
    > *** Stop: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005 , 0x00000156,0xF3060824 , 0x00000000)
    >
    > Beginning dump of physical memory
    > Physical memory dump complete
    > Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further
    > assistance.
    >
    > This is the message I get before it can finished booting
    >
    > thank you for your help in advance

    Go here D. and have a read....

    support.microsoft.com/kb/315335

    It appears you have a faulty memory module.

    bw..

    meerkat, Aug 31, 2007