    Could someone please tell me if it is true pressing the reset button is bad
    for the hard disk. I heard it put bad sectors on the hard disk. What does
    that mean?
    Jamie, May 26, 2004

  2. Jamie

    Plato Guest

    Jamie wrote:

    > Could someone please tell me if it is true pressing the reset button is bad
    > for the hard disk. I heard it put bad sectors on the hard disk. What does
    > that mean?

    No it doesn't put bad sectors on the hard disk.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, May 26, 2004

  3. Jamie

    Thor Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Jamie wrote:
    > >
    > > Could someone please tell me if it is true pressing the reset button is

    bad
    > > for the hard disk. I heard it put bad sectors on the hard disk. What

    does
    > > that mean?

    > No it doesn't put bad sectors on the hard disk.

    yeah, but it ain't good to do it when the disk is in the middle of a R/W
    operation. You know how it is. Everything is *supposed* to park, and be ok,
    but sometimes it doesn't happen that way.
    Thor, May 26, 2004
  4. Jamie

    Thor Guest

    if you just need to reboot, always use the restart function from the windows
    shutdown menu. The files get closed out properly that way, and any
    write/cached data will be written to the drive. You can leave lost clusters
    of data on the disk, or lose data in the write cache if the system is
    abruptly reset. Of course, if it has locked up, and you have no other
    option, then hitting the reset button is about the only choice besides
    powering off. Just be sure not to push the reset button if the harddrive is
    active (accessing).

    Thor, May 26, 2004
  5. Jamie

    colin Guest

    Jamie <> wrote in message
    > Could someone please tell me if it is true pressing the reset button is

    bad
    > for the hard disk. I heard it put bad sectors on the hard disk. What does
    > that mean?

    Probably not true, but continual shutting down of windows in this manner
    will certainly lead to a neccisated re-install:)
    colin, May 26, 2004
  6. Jamie

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in news::

    > yeah, but it ain't good to do it when the disk is in the middle of a
    > R/W operation. You know how it is. Everything is *supposed* to park,
    > and be ok, but sometimes it doesn't happen that way.

    My biggest concern when someone does that is not physical damage to the
    disk, as that is rare these days. But they're machine is in the middle of
    re-writing some critical registry entries or system files or something (as
    in, doing like windows updates or something), and their system reboots and
    almost immediately blue screens because of it. I'm more concerned with the
    results of an undetected failed/partial write than I am with physical
    damage.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    DeMoN LaG, May 26, 2004
  7. Jamie

    Plato Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > My biggest concern when someone does that is not physical damage to the
    > disk, as that is rare these days. But they're machine is in the middle of
    > re-writing some critical registry entries or system files or something (as
    > in, doing like windows updates or something), and their system reboots and
    > almost immediately blue screens because of it. I'm more concerned with the
    > results of an undetected failed/partial write than I am with physical
    > damage.

    So your FAT or MFT is now pointing to half a file, or an address on the
    HDD which now has corrupted data, etc which windows will now try to load
    on the boot.
    Plato, May 26, 2004