Restarting PC

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Nick, Jan 3, 2005.

  1. Nick

    Nick Guest

    "Bhavin Shukla" <> wrote in message
    Hi all,

    First of all, Happy new year.

    I have a problem in my PC.

    I have AMD DURON 1.2 GHz , 256 MB Ram, 30 GB Hard Drive and High speed
    internet + Windows xp sp 1 , Norton System works 2005 and Norton internet
    Security 2003.

    Now the problem is that when my pc is running for about 1 Hr. or 2 hr. it's
    automatically restarting.

    I have tried to change hard disc, and change RAM , and RAM slots. But the
    problem is still remain.

    When I install win xp pro sp2 I thought it might giving me hard time so, I
    format it and change again to Win xp Pro Sp1 But still the problem is there.

    The system is running perfect but suddenly it's restarting and no time fix
    like after 1 hr or 30 mins. it's just restarting automatically, weather some
    application is open or not.

    Please help me out in this problem

    Thanks very much in Advance.

    Please don't post in html in future.

    Is something overheating?

    Nick, Jan 3, 2005

  2. Nick

    SgtMinor Guest

    Bhavin Shukla wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > First of all, Happy new year.
    >
    > I have a problem in my PC.
    >
    > I have AMD DURON 1.2 GHz , 256 MB Ram, 30 GB Hard Drive and High speed
    > internet + Windows xp sp 1 , Norton System works 2005 and Norton
    > internet Security 2003.
    >
    > Now the problem is that when my pc is running for about 1 Hr. or 2 hr.
    > it's automatically restarting.
    >
    > I have tried to change hard disc, and change RAM , and RAM slots. But
    > the problem is still remain.
    >
    > When I install win xp pro sp2 I thought it might giving me hard time so,
    > I format it and change again to Win xp Pro Sp1 But still the problem is
    > there.
    >
    > The system is running perfect but suddenly it's restarting and no time
    > fix like after 1 hr or 30 mins. it's just restarting automatically,
    > weather some application is open or not.
    >
    > Please help me out in this problem
    >
    > Thanks very much in Advance.

    "Windows XP restarts unexpectedly or restarts when you shut down the
    computer": http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320299

    Check your system's clock; you're a few weeks ahead of the rest of the
    world.

    SgtMinor, Jan 3, 2005

  3. Nick

    thulsi Guest

    yeh that and make sure that the cpu is being cooled properly it could be
    that the fans are not spinning at optimum speed. Failing that try another
    power supply.

    let me know how it goes

    thulsi

    thulsi, Jan 3, 2005
  4. "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message
    > Bhavin Shukla wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > First of all, Happy new year.
    > >
    > > I have a problem in my PC.
    > >
    > > I have AMD DURON 1.2 GHz , 256 MB Ram, 30 GB Hard Drive and High speed
    > > internet + Windows xp sp 1 , Norton System works 2005 and Norton
    > > internet Security 2003.
    > >
    > > Now the problem is that when my pc is running for about 1 Hr. or 2 hr.
    > > it's automatically restarting.
    > >
    > > I have tried to change hard disc, and change RAM , and RAM slots. But
    > > the problem is still remain.
    > >
    > > When I install win xp pro sp2 I thought it might giving me hard time so,
    > > I format it and change again to Win xp Pro Sp1 But still the problem is
    > > there.
    > >
    > > The system is running perfect but suddenly it's restarting and no time
    > > fix like after 1 hr or 30 mins. it's just restarting automatically,
    > > weather some application is open or not.
    > >
    > > Please help me out in this problem
    > >
    > > Thanks very much in Advance.

    > "Windows XP restarts unexpectedly or restarts when you shut down the
    > computer": http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320299
    >
    > Check your system's clock; you're a few weeks ahead of the rest of the
    > world.

    Hows that?

    Annette Kurten, Jan 3, 2005
  5. Nick

    SgtMinor Guest

    Annette Kurten wrote:
    <snip>

    >> Check your system's clock; you're a few weeks ahead of the rest of the
    >> world.

    > Hows that?

    In my (EST) location the OP's message is dated 1/25/2005 4:33 PM

    --
    "Or I have lost 3 weeks sleeping off that New Year's party."

    SgtMinor, Jan 3, 2005
  6. Nick

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Bhavin Shukla" <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >First of all, Happy new year.
    >
    >I have a problem in my PC.
    >
    >I have AMD DURON 1.2 GHz , 256 MB Ram, 30 GB Hard Drive and High speed internet + Windows xp sp 1 , Norton System works 2005 and Norton internet Security 2003.
    >
    >Now the problem is that when my pc is running for about 1 Hr. or 2 hr. it's automatically restarting.
    >
    >I have tried to change hard disc, and change RAM , and RAM slots. But the problem is still remain.
    >
    >When I install win xp pro sp2 I thought it might giving me hard time so, I format it and change again to Win xp Pro Sp1 But still the problem is there.
    >
    >The system is running perfect but suddenly it's restarting and no time fix like after 1 hr or 30 mins. it's just restarting automatically, weather some application is open or not.
    >
    >Please help me out in this problem
    >
    >Thanks very much in Advance.

    1. Fix your date settings. Your message is dated 25 Jan.

    2. Open Control Panel - System - Advanced and click on the Settings
    button in the Startup and Recovery (bottom) section. In the Startup
    and Recovery window click on the checkbox for "automatically restart"
    to clear it then click on Apply and OK as needed to exit.

    3. Go into your computer's BIOS setup and look through the advanced
    sections for the system temperature monitoring section and set the
    temperature alarm to trigger at 65 degress Celsius.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Jan 4, 2005
  7. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Tue,
    04 Jan 2005 04:37:47 GMT, Ron Martell <> screamed
    from behind the mulberry bush:

    >"Bhavin Shukla" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>First of all, Happy new year.
    >>
    >>I have a problem in my PC.
    >>
    >>I have AMD DURON 1.2 GHz , 256 MB Ram, 30 GB Hard Drive and High speed internet + Windows xp sp 1 , Norton System works 2005 and Norton internet Security 2003.
    >>
    >>Now the problem is that when my pc is running for about 1 Hr. or 2 hr. it's automatically restarting.
    >>
    >>I have tried to change hard disc, and change RAM , and RAM slots. But the problem is still remain.
    >>
    >>When I install win xp pro sp2 I thought it might giving me hard time so, I format it and change again to Win xp Pro Sp1 But still the problem is there.
    >>
    >>The system is running perfect but suddenly it's restarting and no time fix like after 1 hr or 30 mins. it's just restarting automatically, weather some application is open or not.
    >>
    >>Please help me out in this problem
    >>
    >>Thanks very much in Advance.

    >1. Fix your date settings. Your message is dated 25 Jan.
    >
    >2. Open Control Panel - System - Advanced and click on the Settings
    >button in the Startup and Recovery (bottom) section. In the Startup
    >and Recovery window click on the checkbox for "automatically restart"
    >to clear it then click on Apply and OK as needed to exit.
    >
    >3. Go into your computer's BIOS setup and look through the advanced
    >sections for the system temperature monitoring section and set the
    >temperature alarm to trigger at 65 degress Celsius.

    I bet you're assuming that this guy isn't an idiot and can follow
    these instructions.

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Jan 4, 2005
  8. Nick

    jose 3030 Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 16:33:11 -0500, "Bhavin Shukla"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >First of all, Happy new year.
    >
    >I have a problem in my PC.
    >
    >I have AMD DURON 1.2 GHz , 256 MB Ram, 30 GB Hard Drive and High speed internet + Windows xp sp 1 , Norton System works 2005 and Norton internet Security 2003.
    >
    >Now the problem is that when my pc is running for about 1 Hr. or 2 hr. it's automatically restarting.
    >
    >I have tried to change hard disc, and change RAM , and RAM slots. But the problem is still remain.
    >
    >When I install win xp pro sp2 I thought it might giving me hard time so, I format it and change again to Win xp Pro Sp1 But still the problem is there.
    >
    >The system is running perfect but suddenly it's restarting and no time fix like after 1 hr or 30 mins. it's just restarting automatically, weather some application is open or not.
    >
    >Please help me out in this problem
    >
    >Thanks very much in Advance.

    My suggestions:

    Bad cooling in case.
    Bad Power Supply.
    Windows Updates (RPC issue , weird reboots w/o your consent).

    It looks like it's time to try to get , perhaps a new machine.
    If those arent it.

    jose 3030, Jan 4, 2005
  9. Bhavin Shukla wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > First of all, Happy new year.
    >
    > I have a problem in my PC.
    >
    > I have AMD DURON 1.2 GHz , 256 MB Ram, 30 GB Hard Drive and High speed
    > internet + Windows xp sp 1 , Norton System works 2005 and Norton internet
    > Security 2003.
    >
    > Now the problem is that when my pc is running for about 1 Hr. or 2 hr.
    > it's automatically restarting.

    Besides all the other good suggestions, my good old Palomino AthlonXP2100+
    also likes to suddenly restart when the bios setting "detect cpu idle
    cycles" or similar is enabled. That setting brings temperature down about
    10deg C with a standard cooler, but is no good for "palomino" brand xp's
    and probably also older durons.

    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.10-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Jan 4, 2005
  10. On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 01:36:14 -0500, Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor
    <> wrote:

    >>3. Go into your computer's BIOS setup and look through the advanced
    >>sections for the system temperature monitoring section and set the
    >>temperature alarm to trigger at 65 degress Celsius.

    >I bet you're assuming that this guy isn't an idiot and can follow
    >these instructions.

    OH MY G-D HE'S FROM THE *FUTURE*!!!

    Axel of the North!, Jan 7, 2005
  11. Bhavin Shukla wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > First of all, Happy new year.
    >
    > I have a problem in my PC.
    >
    > I have AMD DURON 1.2 GHz , 256 MB Ram, 30 GB Hard Drive and High
    > speed internet + Windows xp sp 1 , Norton System works 2005 and
    > Norton internet Security 2003.
    >
    > Now the problem is that when my pc is running for about 1 Hr. or 2
    > hr. it's automatically restarting.
    >
    > I have tried to change hard disc, and change RAM , and RAM slots. But
    > the problem is still remain.
    >
    > When I install win xp pro sp2 I thought it might giving me hard time
    > so, I format it and change again to Win xp Pro Sp1 But still the
    > problem is there.
    >
    > The system is running perfect but suddenly it's restarting and no
    > time fix like after 1 hr or 30 mins. it's just restarting
    > automatically, weather some application is open or not.
    >
    > Please help me out in this problem
    >
    > Thanks very much in Advance.

    1) Do not post in HTML
    2) Do not post date - you're 12 days ahead of the rest of the planet. Fix
    your clock and then someone might assist you. We don't assist morons who
    think it's good to queue jump.

    on salads.

    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Jan 13, 2005
  12. "Bhavin Shukla" <> wrote in message

    [HTML snipped]

    If your PC is shutting down and restarting all on its own after an hour or
    more after having worked normally in the past, the odds are you have (in
    order) a heat related problem, a failing power supply or a failing component
    like a bad electrolytic capacitor.

    Heat related problems can come from a bad case fan or excess dust and dirt.

    A failing power supply can be diagnosed by swapping.

    A bad cap can be found (usually) by visual inspection.

    The fact that you don't know these things tells me your best bet is to take
    your system to a qualified tech in your area. It will be 40 bucks well
    spent.

    Bhavin Shukla, Jan 25, 2005