    just refresh (scan for hardware changes) after removing a troublesome device
    in device manager.
    Thanks
    Lizzieb, Feb 19, 2005

  2. Lizzieb

    Bum Guest

    "Lizzieb" <> wrote in
    news:cv7pko$s0l$:

    > Could someone please tell me the difference between choosing to
    > restart or just refresh (scan for hardware changes) after removing a
    > troublesome device in device manager.
    > Thanks

    A restart will save changes to the Registry and finish removing the device
    entries from the registry. Where a refresh will not. Anytime removing a
    device it is almost always better to do a restart. In XP I usually will
    create a restore point before installing a device; prior version of windows
    I will backup the registry.

    The cavaet to this method, any system modifications made between the
    hardware installation and hardware failure will also need to be repeated
    after a restore of the registry. That is if any applications / security
    patchs are installed after the hardware installation - you will need to
    install those applications as well.

    BUM
    Bum, Feb 19, 2005