    Restart Later" dialogue box that sometimes pops up when
    I have automatic updates enabled

    Mike
    another MickG, Apr 23, 2006

  2. another MickG

    Duane Arnold Guest

    another MickG wrote:
    > Hi Folks
    >
    > Does anyone know how to disable the "Restart Now / Restart Later"
    > dialogue box that sometimes pops up when I have automatic updates enabled
    >
    > Mike

    That's coming from the download site and you have no control of it. You
    either reboot the machine so that the changes take affect or you don't.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Apr 23, 2006

  3. another MickG

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-04-23, another MickG <> wrote:
    > Hi Folks
    >
    > Does anyone know how to disable the "Restart Now /
    > Restart Later" dialogue box that sometimes pops up when
    > I have automatic updates enabled
    >
    > Mike

    You don't. You've received an update that will not take effect until you
    reboot.

    You could disable AutoUpdates and just do them manually. Or you could just
    be alerted that updates are available with out triggering the restart.

    --
    'auto' is nice but it's not 'auto' if you get a dialog that makes you do
    something manually.
    Jimchip, Apr 23, 2006
  4. another MickG

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Jimchip" <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-04-23, another MickG <> wrote:
    >> Hi Folks
    >>
    >> Does anyone know how to disable the "Restart Now /
    >> Restart Later" dialogue box that sometimes pops up when
    >> I have automatic updates enabled
    >>
    >> Mike

    > You don't. You've received an update that will not take effect until you
    > reboot.
    >
    > You could disable AutoUpdates and just do them manually. Or you could just
    > be alerted that updates are available with out triggering the restart.

    The person should just reboot the machine when asked and go on about his
    business. ;-)

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Apr 23, 2006
  5. another MickG

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-04-23, Duane Arnold <Don't-Bother@Yeah-That's-Right.BET> wrote:

    > "Jimchip" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2006-04-23, another MickG <> wrote:
    >>> Hi Folks
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know how to disable the "Restart Now /
    >>> Restart Later" dialogue box that sometimes pops up when
    >>> I have automatic updates enabled
    >>>
    >>> Mike

    >> You don't. You've received an update that will not take effect until you
    >> reboot.
    >>
    >> You could disable AutoUpdates and just do them manually. Or you could just
    >> be alerted that updates are available with out triggering the restart.

    > The person should just reboot the machine when asked and go on about his
    > business. ;-)

    Gee Duane, I think it was a case of him going about his business and
    AutoUpdates was interrupting it.

    --
    Horse the Cart Before
    Jimchip, Apr 23, 2006
  6. another MickG

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Jimchip wrote:
    > On 2006-04-23, Duane Arnold <Don't-Bother@Yeah-That's-Right.BET> wrote:
    >
    >>"Jimchip" <> wrote in message

    >>>You don't. You've received an update that will not take effect until you
    >>>reboot.
    >>>
    >>>You could disable AutoUpdates and just do them manually. Or you could just
    >>>be alerted that updates are available with out triggering the restart.

    >>The person should just reboot the machine when asked and go on about his
    >>business. ;-)

    > Gee Duane, I think it was a case of him going about his business and
    > AutoUpdates was interrupting it.

    Everyone has sat there and downloaded those updates and had them go to
    at one point of asking do you want to reboot the machine for those
    updates that require that the machine be rebooted. It doesn't matter if
    Autoupdates are on or not on and has nothing to do with it. That
    question is going to be asked at the end of the update session.

    You can't disable that sequence of the question be asked, because it's
    coming through the update application that's running. There is nothing
    at the O/S level that can be set to diable that msgbox from showing.

    Now, the OP can reboot the machine by replying Yes or he can reply No to
    not reboot to that Yes/No msgbox. The Yes/No msgbox box is coming and
    there is noway it can be disabled.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Apr 23, 2006
  7. another MickG

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-04-23, Duane Arnold <""> wrote:
    > Jimchip wrote:
    >> On 2006-04-23, Duane Arnold <Don't-Bother@Yeah-That's-Right.BET> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Jimchip" <> wrote in message

    >>>The person should just reboot the machine when asked and go on about his
    >>>business. ;-)

    >> Gee Duane, I think it was a case of him going about his business and
    >> AutoUpdates was interrupting it.
    >>

    > Everyone has sat there and downloaded those updates and had them go to
    > at one point of asking do you want to reboot the machine for those
    > updates that require that the machine be rebooted. It doesn't matter if
    > Autoupdates are on or not on and has nothing to do with it. That
    > question is going to be asked at the end of the update session.

    Though subject to interpretation, the OP seemed to indicate the AutoUpdates
    was running in the background (like MS intended, sorta) and OP is using the
    computer 'going about their normal business' when, in the middle of all of
    that, "YOU NEED TO REBOOT" pops up. OP is not 'sitting there', purposely
    downloading updates as part of a normal maintainance routine- OP is being
    interrupted.

    > You can't disable that sequence of the question be asked, because it's
    > coming through the update application that's running. There is nothing
    > at the O/S level that can be set to diable that msgbox from showing.

    Disable AutoUpdates (except maybe for notification) and 'manually' update as
    part of a regular routine. Something to do when there's not much else going
    on.

    > Now, the OP can reboot the machine by replying Yes or he can reply No to
    > not reboot to that Yes/No msgbox. The Yes/No msgbox box is coming and
    > there is noway it can be disabled.

    If it gets that far.

    --
    OP doesn't like the dialog box showing up at inconvenient times
    Jimchip, Apr 23, 2006
  8. another MickG

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Jimchip wrote:
    > On 2006-04-23, Duane Arnold <""> wrote:
    >
    >>Jimchip wrote:

    >>>Gee Duane, I think it was a case of him going about his business and
    >>>AutoUpdates was interrupting it.
    >>>

    >>Everyone has sat there and downloaded those updates and had them go to
    >>at one point of asking do you want to reboot the machine for those
    >>updates that require that the machine be rebooted. It doesn't matter if
    >>Autoupdates are on or not on and has nothing to do with it. That
    >>question is going to be asked at the end of the update session.

    > Though subject to interpretation, the OP seemed to indicate the AutoUpdates
    > was running in the background (like MS intended, sorta) and OP is using the
    > computer 'going about their normal business' when, in the middle of all of
    > that, "YOU NEED TO REBOOT" pops up. OP is not 'sitting there', purposely
    > downloading updates as part of a normal maintainance routine- OP is being
    > interrupted.

    That's you interpretation of it. I saw it for what it was reboot or not
    reboot the machine which is be controlled by the installation program,
    as I have set install programs like Installshied to ask that question to
    boot or not boot the machine upon software install.

    >>You can't disable that sequence of the question be asked, because it's
    >>coming through the update application that's running. There is nothing
    >>at the O/S level that can be set to diable that msgbox from showing.

    > Disable AutoUpdates (except maybe for notification) and 'manually' update as
    > part of a regular routine. Something to do when there's not much else going
    > on.

    Again, the reboot or not to reboot has nothing to do with the Autoupdate
    and is part of the install software that has made the install is the one
    asking the question.

    >>Now, the OP can reboot the machine by replying Yes or he can reply No to
    >>not reboot to that Yes/No msgbox. The Yes/No msgbox box is coming and
    >>there is noway it can be disabled.

    > If it gets that far.

    I have never had a problem. ;-)

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Apr 23, 2006
  9. another MickG

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-04-23, Duane Arnold <""> wrote:
    > Jimchip wrote:

    >>>Everyone has sat there and downloaded those updates and had them go to
    >>>at one point of asking do you want to reboot the machine for those
    >>>updates that require that the machine be rebooted. It doesn't matter if
    >>>Autoupdates are on or not on and has nothing to do with it. That
    >>>question is going to be asked at the end of the update session.

    >> Though subject to interpretation, the OP seemed to indicate the AutoUpdates
    >> was running in the background (like MS intended, sorta) and OP is using the
    >> computer 'going about their normal business' when, in the middle of all of
    >> that, "YOU NEED TO REBOOT" pops up. OP is not 'sitting there', purposely
    >> downloading updates as part of a normal maintainance routine- OP is being
    >> interrupted.

    > That's you interpretation of it. I saw it for what it was reboot or not
    > reboot the machine which is be controlled by the installation program,
    > as I have set install programs like Installshied to ask that question to
    > boot or not boot the machine upon software install.

    Duane, you get get no argument from me-- I am postive that you need to
    reboot all of the time :)

    >>>You can't disable that sequence of the question be asked, because it's
    >>>coming through the update application that's running. There is nothing
    >>>at the O/S level that can be set to diable that msgbox from showing.

    >> Disable AutoUpdates (except maybe for notification) and 'manually' update as
    >> part of a regular routine. Something to do when there's not much else going
    >> on.

    > Again, the reboot or not to reboot has nothing to do with the Autoupdate
    > and is part of the install software that has made the install is the one
    > asking the question.

    The OP's AutoUpdate 'sounds like' it is set to download *and* install
    automatically. My suggestion is to just turn it off. Nothing else should be
    installing and requiring a reboot unless it's either 1) a consious download
    and install on the users part or 2) It's Duane's computer which apparently
    needs a reboot after evey user sneeze or finger drum.

    >>>Now, the OP can reboot the machine by replying Yes or he can reply No to
    >>>not reboot to that Yes/No msgbox. The Yes/No msgbox box is coming and
    >>>there is noway it can be disabled.

    >> If it gets that far.

    > I have never had a problem. ;-)

    "Just Re-boot" is my recommendation for you also.

    --
    I bet you frequently just pull out the power cord because it's so frozen up.
    Jimchip, Apr 23, 2006
  10. another MickG

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Jimchip wrote:
    > On 2006-04-23, Duane Arnold <""> wrote:
    >
    >>Jimchip wrote:

    >>>Though subject to interpretation, the OP seemed to indicate the AutoUpdates
    >>>was running in the background (like MS intended, sorta) and OP is using the
    >>>computer 'going about their normal business' when, in the middle of all of
    >>>that, "YOU NEED TO REBOOT" pops up. OP is not 'sitting there', purposely
    >>>downloading updates as part of a normal maintainance routine- OP is being
    >>>interrupted.

    >>That's you interpretation of it. I saw it for what it was reboot or not
    >>reboot the machine which is be controlled by the installation program,
    >>as I have set install programs like Installshied to ask that question to
    >>boot or not boot the machine upon software install.

    > Duane, you get get no argument from me-- I am postive that you need to
    > reboot all of the time :)

    >>>Disable AutoUpdates (except maybe for notification) and 'manually' update as
    >>>part of a regular routine. Something to do when there's not much else going
    >>>on.

    >>Again, the reboot or not to reboot has nothing to do with the Autoupdate
    >>and is part of the install software that has made the install is the one
    >>asking the question.

    > The OP's AutoUpdate 'sounds like' it is set to download *and* install
    > automatically. My suggestion is to just turn it off. Nothing else should be
    > installing and requiring a reboot unless it's either 1) a consious download
    > and install on the users part or 2) It's Duane's computer which apparently
    > needs a reboot after evey user sneeze or finger drum.

    I boot when I need to boot and sometimes I don't boot until I am done
    with something, like *when I am in the middle of doing something." :)

    But am I going to go off the deep end with Oh my God - Oh my God I am
    being asked to reboot -- NO. I"ll just do it at a later time or I'll do
    it right away. It depends on what I am doing. ;-)

    >>>If it gets that far.

    >>I have never had a problem. ;-)

    > "Just Re-boot" is my recommendation for you also.

    When I feel the need and it ask would I like to do it or not and
    sometimes I do and sometimes I don't depending upon what I am into at
    the time.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Apr 23, 2006
  11. another MickG

    Phil® Guest

    Duane Arnold,

    I agree with you and Jimchip

    I belive restarting now or later when you want to restart now or not is right.

    Take care

    --
    it's that simple, did somebody ask about a popup.......never mind

    Phil®, Apr 23, 2006
  12. Phil® wrote:
    > Duane Arnold,
    >
    > I agree with you and Jimchip
    >
    > I belive restarting now or later when you want to restart now or not is right.
    >
    > Take care
    >
    > --
    > it's that simple, did somebody ask about a popup.......never mind
    >

    > "Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote in message
    >> Jimchip wrote:

    >>> Duane, you get get no argument from me-- I am postive that you need to reboot all
    >>> of the time :)

    >>> The OP's AutoUpdate 'sounds like' it is set to download *and* install
    >>> automatically. My suggestion is to just turn it off. Nothing else should be
    >>> installing and requiring a reboot unless it's either 1) a consious download and
    >>> install on the users part or 2) It's Duane's computer which apparently needs a
    >>> reboot after evey user sneeze or finger drum.

    >> I boot when I need to boot and sometimes I don't boot until I am done with
    >> something, like *when I am in the middle of doing something." :)
    >>
    >> But am I going to go off the deep end with Oh my God - Oh my God I am being asked
    >> to reboot -- NO. I"ll just do it at a later time or I'll do it right away. It
    >> depends on what I am doing. ;-)

    >>> "Just Re-boot" is my recommendation for you also.

    >> When I feel the need and it ask would I like to do it or not and sometimes I do and
    >> sometimes I don't depending upon what I am into at the time.
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    Phew, I didn't expect a dogfight !!! Perhaps I'd
    better make things a little clearer.

    1, I am rolling out updates to users on our network, in
    the background, the users have no idea their machines
    are being updated until POW !!!! they are asked to reboot

    2. The users are not admins so the "Restart Later"
    option is greyed out (nice one Microsoft)

    3. A lot of our users are not exactly computer savvy
    and panic when faced with a button saying "Restart Now"
    when in the middle of a Word Doc or something.

    So, congrats to JimChip, you are absolutely right. And
    sorry to Duane, but you need to brush up a bit on your
    people skills.

    The race is still on for anyone who can sort out a
    solution to this.....

    Mike
    another MickG, Apr 24, 2006
  13. another MickG

    Phil® Guest

    "another MickG" <> brilliantly wrote:

    > Phew, I didn't expect a dogfight !!! Perhaps I'd better make things a little
    > clearer.
    >
    > 1, I am rolling out updates to users on our network, in the background, the users
    > have no idea their machines are being updated until POW !!!! they are asked to
    > reboot
    >
    > 2. The users are not admins so the "Restart Later" option is greyed out (nice one
    > Microsoft)
    >
    > 3. A lot of our users are not exactly computer savvy and panic when faced with a
    > button saying "Restart Now" when in the middle of a Word Doc or something.
    >
    > So, congrats to JimChip, you are absolutely right. And sorry to Duane, but you
    > need to brush up a bit on your people skills.
    >
    > The race is still on for anyone who can sort out a solution to this.....
    >
    > Mike

    Why tell me, but that's okay, so while I'm here, not for nothing,
    I just like to say I enjoyed the intellectual banter between Jimchip
    and Duane Arnold they both were friendly to each other and gave good advice.

    Take care
    --
    Intellectual banter, the rewards are worth it.
    Phil®, Apr 24, 2006
  14. another MickG

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Phil® wrote:
    > "another MickG" <> brilliantly wrote:
    >

    >>Phew, I didn't expect a dogfight !!! Perhaps I'd better make things a little
    >>clearer.
    >>
    >>1, I am rolling out updates to users on our network, in the background, the users
    >>have no idea their machines are being updated until POW !!!! they are asked to
    >>reboot
    >>
    >>2. The users are not admins so the "Restart Later" option is greyed out (nice one
    >>Microsoft)
    >>
    >>3. A lot of our users are not exactly computer savvy and panic when faced with a
    >>button saying "Restart Now" when in the middle of a Word Doc or something.
    >>
    >>So, congrats to JimChip, you are absolutely right. And sorry to Duane, but you
    >>need to brush up a bit on your people skills.
    >>
    >>The race is still on for anyone who can sort out a solution to this.....
    >>
    >>Mike

    > Why tell me, but that's okay, so while I'm here, not for nothing,
    > I just like to say I enjoyed the intellectual banter between Jimchip
    > and Duane Arnold they both were friendly to each other and gave good advice.

    Yes, you're correct and the OP doesn't know what he is talking about. ;-)

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Apr 24, 2006
  15. another MickG

    Duane Arnold Guest

    another MickG wrote:
    > Phil® wrote:
    >
    >> Duane Arnold,
    >>
    >> I agree with you and Jimchip
    >>
    >> I belive restarting now or later when you want to restart now or not
    >> is right.
    >>
    >> Take care
    >>
    >> --
    >> it's that simple, did somebody ask about a popup.......never mind
    >>

    >> "Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote in
    >> message

    >>> I boot when I need to boot and sometimes I don't boot until I am done
    >>> with something, like *when I am in the middle of doing something." :)
    >>>
    >>> But am I going to go off the deep end with Oh my God - Oh my God I am
    >>> being asked to reboot -- NO. I"ll just do it at a later time or I'll
    >>> do it right away. It depends on what I am doing. ;-)

    >>> When I feel the need and it ask would I like to do it or not and
    >>> sometimes I do and sometimes I don't depending upon what I am into at
    >>> the time.
    >>>
    >>> Duane :)
    >>>

    > Phew, I didn't expect a dogfight !!! Perhaps I'd better make things a
    > little clearer.
    >
    > 1, I am rolling out updates to users on our network, in the background,
    > the users have no idea their machines are being updated until POW !!!!
    > they are asked to reboot
    >
    > 2. The users are not admins so the "Restart Later" option is greyed out
    > (nice one Microsoft)
    >
    > 3. A lot of our users are not exactly computer savvy and panic when
    > faced with a button saying "Restart Now" when in the middle of a Word
    > Doc or something.
    >
    > So, congrats to JimChip, you are absolutely right. And sorry to Duane,
    > but you need to brush up a bit on your people skills.
    >
    > The race is still on for anyone who can sort out a solution to this.....

    Well, what you're supposed to be doing is rolling the updates out after
    hours and telling your users to log off the machines before they go home
    leaving them at the login screen. The updates can be applied after hours
    and not during working hours.

    The rollout software that's doing this across a network can run
    unattended and can boot the machines too so they are ready for the
    end-users the next morning.

    If any user didn't leave their machine on, then you compile the list of
    the machines that were missed and notify again, and run the rollout
    software unattended after working hours to apply the updates to the
    machines that were missed.

    I have worked with Admins that knew how to do this.

    The solution is you take the end-user out of the picture period so that
    they don't get the POW. ;-)

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Apr 24, 2006