Restart in Dos

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by JesterDev, May 22, 2004.

  1. JesterDev

    JesterDev Guest

    bronsonn wrote:

    > can someone please tell me which files Windows 98 uses to "restart in Dos"
    > When I try to "restart in Dos" I get a black sreen, If i type exit the
    > pc restarts in Windows. So I presume it has started in Dos without my
    > video card/drivers being recconised. It used to work but now it does'nt so
    > I think a file must have been altered. Any advice would be appreciated.
    > Thanks in advance.

    www.bootdisk.com

    JesterDev

    bronsonn, May 23, 2004

  3. JesterDev

    Boomer Guest

    "bronsonn" <me@home> wrote:

    > can someone please tell me which files Windows 98 uses to "restart
    > in Dos" When I try to "restart in Dos" I get a black sreen, If i
    > type exit the pc restarts in Windows. So I presume it has started
    > in Dos without my video card/drivers being recconised. It used to
    > work but now it does'nt so I think a file must have been altered.
    > Any advice would be appreciated.
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > ------=_NextPart_000_0043_01C440C4.6836B540

    [snip]
    > <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>
    >
    > ------=_NextPart_000_0043_01C440C4.6836B540--

    Please post in PLAIN TEXT
    Boomer, May 23, 2004
  4. JesterDev

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "bronsonn" <me@home> wrote in message news:...
    can someone please tell me which files Windows 98 uses to "restart in Dos"
    When I try to "restart in Dos" I get a black sreen, If i type exit the pc
    restarts in Windows. So I presume it has started in Dos without my video
    card/drivers being recconised.
    It used to work but now it does'nt so I think a file must have been altered.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

    Actually, it probably is getting stuck somewhere. The video display uses no
    "drivers" or such in DOS. Try this instead:

    Create a "startup disk": Go to the Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove
    Programs, and the third tab at the top is for creating a start up disk. Then
    boot from that floppy drive.

    Or do the "F8" key to get to the boot menu when starting the computer (just
    after the POST, before the system starts to load Windows).
    Toolman Tim, May 23, 2004
  5. JesterDev

    docmill Guest

    "bronsonn" <me@home> wrote in news::

    > can someone please tell me which files Windows 98 uses to "restart in
    > Dos" When I try to "restart in Dos" I get a black sreen, If i type
    > exit the pc restarts in Windows. So I presume it has started in Dos
    > without my video card/drivers being recconised. It used to work but
    > now it does'nt so I think a file must have been altered. Any advice
    > would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    440C4.6836B540--

    Your PIF or dosstart.bat is quarked. Either make a new one or fix the
    existing one. Check the screen settings for the DOS PIF, and set them to
    maxmise.

    --
    +++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++
    docmill, May 23, 2004
  6. Once upon a time, OK, it really happened on 23 May 2004 03:09:50 GMT,
    Boomer <> claimed the following truncated
    trash was the absolute, fucking truth:

    >"bronsonn" <me@home> wrote:
    >
    >> can someone please tell me which files Windows 98 uses to "restart
    >> in Dos" When I try to "restart in Dos" I get a black sreen, If i
    >> type exit the pc restarts in Windows. So I presume it has started
    >> in Dos without my video card/drivers being recconised. It used to
    >> work but now it does'nt so I think a file must have been altered.
    >> Any advice would be appreciated.
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> ------=_NextPart_000_0043_01C440C4.6836B540
    >> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

    >[snip]
    >> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>
    >>
    >> ------=_NextPart_000_0043_01C440C4.6836B540--

    >Please post in PLAIN TEXT

    ****, I was hoping he'd post in some semblance of literate English.

    Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    ---

    Zittmutter offers McDougal some oral carnal knowledge in Message-ID: <>
    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, May 23, 2004
  7. Blinky the Shark, May 23, 2004
  8. JesterDev

    Stilcho Guest

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 12:49:37 +1000, "bronsonn" <me@home> wrote:

    >can someone please tell me which files Windows 98 uses to "restart in Dos" When I try to "restart in Dos" I get a black sreen, If i type exit the pc restarts in Windows. So I presume it has started in Dos without my video card/drivers being recconised.
    >It used to work but now it does'nt so I think a file must have been altered.
    >Any advice would be appreciated.
    >Thanks in advance.

    You get a blank, dark screen that you can enter commands in? Does it
    have a C:\ on the lower right?

    ---
    The Ranger woman is starting to vex me greatly.
    Stilcho, May 24, 2004
  9. JesterDev

    Rosco Guest

    Stilcho cried out

    > On Sun, 23 May 2004 12:49:37 +1000, "bronsonn" <me@home> wrote:
    >
    >>can someone please tell me which files Windows 98 uses to "restart
    >>in Dos" When I try to "restart in Dos" I get a black sreen, If i
    >>type exit the pc restarts in Windows. So I presume it has started
    >>in Dos without my video card/drivers being recconised. It used to
    >>work but now it does'nt so I think a file must have been altered.
    >>Any advice would be appreciated.
    >>Thanks in advance.

    > You get a blank, dark screen that you can enter commands in? Does
    > it have a C:\ on the lower right?
    >
    > ---
    > The Ranger woman is starting to vex me greatly.

    if it were "restarting" in dos then exit would NOT get you back to
    windows, only win or win.com would seems to me that you are enter dos
    prompt. Try rebooting your computer just before you see the windows
    startup screen (right before your bios are done) press and hold F8 then
    select command prompt (option 5) this is the equivilent without some or
    all of the drivers.

    Rosco, May 24, 2004
  10. JesterDev

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Rosco" <> wrote in message
    > Stilcho cried out
    >
    > > On Sun, 23 May 2004 12:49:37 +1000, "bronsonn" <me@home> wrote:
    > >
    > >>can someone please tell me which files Windows 98 uses to "restart
    > >>in Dos" When I try to "restart in Dos" I get a black sreen, If i
    > >>type exit the pc restarts in Windows. So I presume it has started
    > >>in Dos without my video card/drivers being recconised. It used to
    > >>work but now it does'nt so I think a file must have been altered.
    > >>Any advice would be appreciated.
    > >>Thanks in advance.

    > > You get a blank, dark screen that you can enter commands in? Does
    > > it have a C:\ on the lower right?
    > >
    > > ---
    > > The Ranger woman is starting to vex me greatly.
    > >

    > if it were "restarting" in dos then exit would NOT get you back to
    > windows, only win or win.com would seems to me that you are enter dos
    > prompt. Try rebooting your computer just before you see the windows
    > startup screen (right before your bios are done) press and hold F8 then
    > select command prompt (option 5) this is the equivilent without some or
    > all of the drivers.

    Actually, "Exit" will return you to Windows if you used the Start / Shut
    Down / Restart in DOS mode commands.

    And if that's the case, the OP has a working DOS prompt because she can type
    "Exit" and get back to Windows. At that point, I would have to assume that
    she is simply not seeing the DOS prompt. Here's three things that come to
    mind:

    1) type CLS and press Enter
    2) type MODE CO80 and press Enter
    3) Maybe (I've seen this before, especially on 800x600 Windows resolutions
    using older monitors) the screen height on the monitor is set to tall for
    DOS - reducing the vertical height on the monitor's controls may bring the
    prompt back in sight. (Test for this by typing DIR and pressing Enter - the
    display would roll the directory by)
    Toolman Tim, May 24, 2004