Rest Clocks

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Oct 29, 2006.

  1. Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Oct 29, 2006

  2. Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
    > That time of year for many of us again. Don't forget if you care to
    > have your time stamps correct.

    Or just leave your cameras on UTC....and never have to alter them again.

    David
    David J Taylor, Oct 29, 2006

  3. Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:

    > That time of year for many of us again. Don't forget if you care to
    > have your time stamps correct.

    Thanks Ed. My clocks automatically "Rest" themselves. :) Yes, I plug the
    dSLRs into the PC later and update them. It's easier and more accurate that
    way since my PC gets updated from one of those atomic clock services.

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Oct 29, 2006
  4. Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:

    > That time of year for many of us again. Don't forget if you care to have
    > your time stamps correct.

    Thanks... I remembered to change the clock all over the house but almost
    forgot my cameras...

    --
    Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
    http://www.dahl-stamnes.net/Foto/
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rn?= Dahl-Stamnes, Oct 29, 2006
  5. Ed Ruf  (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

    Celcius Guest

    "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
    > Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
    >
    >> That time of year for many of us again. Don't forget if you care to
    >> have your time stamps correct.

    > Thanks Ed. My clocks automatically "Rest" themselves. :) Yes, I plug the
    > dSLRs into the PC later and update them. It's easier and more accurate
    > that way since my PC gets updated from one of those atomic clock services.

    Rita,
    How do you do this? What camera, please?
    Can I do this with my Canon 350D?
    Thanks,
    Marcel
    Celcius, Oct 29, 2006
  6. Celcius wrote:

    >> Thanks Ed. My clocks automatically "Rest" themselves. :) Yes, I
    >> plug the dSLRs into the PC later and update them. It's easier and
    >> more accurate that way since my PC gets updated from one of those
    >> atomic clock services.

    > Rita,
    > How do you do this? What camera, please?
    > Can I do this with my Canon 350D?

    I use a program called Dimension4 to keep my PC clock accurate. I just hook
    up the USB cable to the D2x and D200 then Use Nikon Capture Control to
    adjust time/date. I'm not sure what Canon uses for their system, but I'm
    sure they have software that does the same.

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Oct 29, 2006
  7. On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 07:33:29 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Rita Ä Berkowitz
    <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:

    >I just hook
    >up the USB cable to the D2x and D200 then Use Nikon Capture Control to
    >adjust time/date.

    But no matter how hard or what I try I can't get Capture to synch the clock
    on my Z-750. ;-)
    --
    Ed Ruf ()
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Oct 29, 2006
  8. Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:

    >> I just hook
    >> up the USB cable to the D2x and D200 then Use Nikon Capture Control
    >> to adjust time/date.

    > But no matter how hard or what I try I can't get Capture to synch the
    > clock on my Z-750. ;-)

    LOL! I guess you will have to do it by hand and be a few milliseconds off.

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Oct 29, 2006
  9. Ed Ruf  (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) <> wrote:
    >That time of year for many of us again.

    .... when clocks get really tired and need to be "rested" for an hour.

    :)

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Oct 29, 2006
  10. Ed Ruf  (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

    Mike Fields Guest

    "Ray Fischer" <> wrote in message
    > Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) <> wrote:
    >>That time of year for many of us again.

    > ... when clocks get really tired and need to be "rested" for an hour.
    >
    > :)
    >
    > --
    > Ray Fischer

    Of course there was that scene from the movie "Animal House"
    (for those old enough to remember it) where they were staging
    a raid and synchronizing their watches -- they were all at 11:00
    or some such "exactly" except for John who was at 3:17 or some
    such time .. OK, good to go !!

    Almost forgot to "rest" the clock in my GPS !!

    mikey
    Mike Fields, Oct 29, 2006
  11. Mike Fields wrote:

    > Almost forgot to "rest" the clock in my GPS !!

    That's frightening. The having a GPS that needs to have its time set
    manually, that is.

    What make and model?

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Oct 29, 2006
  12. Ed Ruf  (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

    Mark² Guest

    Mike Fields wrote:
    > "Ray Fischer" <> wrote in message
    >> Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) <> wrote:
    >>> That time of year for many of us again.

    >> ... when clocks get really tired and need to be "rested" for an hour.
    >>
    >> :)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ray Fischer
    >>

    > Of course there was that scene from the movie "Animal House"
    > (for those old enough to remember it) where they were staging
    > a raid and synchronizing their watches -- they were all at 11:00
    > or some such "exactly" except for John who was at 3:17 or some
    > such time .. OK, good to go !!
    >
    > Almost forgot to "rest" the clock in my GPS !!

    Any GPS unit I've ever used set itself... I don't even think you could set
    it to a different time if you wanted to...

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Oct 29, 2006
  13. Ed Ruf  (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

    Prometheus Guest

    In article <JFa1h.64$>, Mark²
    <mjmorgan@cox.?.net.invalid> writes
    >Mike Fields wrote:
    >> "Ray Fischer" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> ... when clocks get really tired and need to be "rested" for an hour.

    >> Of course there was that scene from the movie "Animal House"
    >> (for those old enough to remember it) where they were staging
    >> a raid and synchronizing their watches -- they were all at 11:00
    >> or some such "exactly" except for John who was at 3:17 or some
    >> such time .. OK, good to go !!
    >>
    >> Almost forgot to "rest" the clock in my GPS !!

    >Any GPS unit I've ever used set itself... I don't even think you could set
    >it to a different time if you wanted to...

    You can set the time zone, you can also enable or disable summer time.
    Not all GPS receivers know when your local standard and summer time
    changes, even if they do they do not know if you require them to change.

    --
    Ian G8ILZ
    Prometheus, Oct 30, 2006
  14. Ed Ruf  (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

    Mark² Guest

    Prometheus wrote:
    > In article <JFa1h.64$>, Mark²
    > <mjmorgan@cox.?.net.invalid> writes
    >> Mike Fields wrote:
    >>> "Ray Fischer" <> wrote in message

    >>> Of course there was that scene from the movie "Animal House"
    >>> (for those old enough to remember it) where they were staging
    >>> a raid and synchronizing their watches -- they were all at 11:00
    >>> or some such "exactly" except for John who was at 3:17 or some
    >>> such time .. OK, good to go !!
    >>>
    >>> Almost forgot to "rest" the clock in my GPS !!

    >> Any GPS unit I've ever used set itself... I don't even think you
    >> could set it to a different time if you wanted to...

    > You can set the time zone, you can also enable or disable summer time.
    > Not all GPS receivers know when your local standard and summer time
    > changes, even if they do they do not know if you require them to
    > change.

    Ya, I think you're right, and I think what I'm remembering is the lack of
    ability to set minutes, etc.
    The hours were set in relationship to GM time, and you could only select
    your time in relation to that.

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Oct 30, 2006
  15. Ed Ruf  (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

    Mike Fields Guest

    "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    > Mike Fields wrote:
    >>
    >> Almost forgot to "rest" the clock in my GPS !!

    > That's frightening. The having a GPS that needs to have its time set
    > manually, that is.
    >
    > What make and model?
    >
    > --
    > john mcwilliams

    Actually, when I went to set it, it was smarter than that.
    It simply asked me to confirm Standard Time when I
    turned it on. Magellan Meridian Gold -- now if they
    would only put the map info in there so it could set itself
    to the correct local time zone as you move around
    (unless you are using UTC that is).

    mikey
    Mike Fields, Oct 30, 2006
  16. writes:

    >> Almost forgot to "rest" the clock in my GPS !!

    >That's frightening. The having a GPS that needs to have its time set
    >manually, that is.

    Many GPS receivers need to be told the offset between local time and UTC
    (GMT). That offset changes at the beginning and end of Daylight Savings
    Time.

    Now, some GPS receivers know the DST algorithm used in the USA and
    Canada, and if you happen to live in one of those places, you can get
    your GPS to update the offset automatically. But that doesn't apply to
    most of the world.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Oct 31, 2006
  17. Ed Ruf  (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

    Holley Guest

    "Dave Martindale" <> wrote in message
    > writes:
    >
    >>> Almost forgot to "rest" the clock in my GPS !!

    >>That's frightening. The having a GPS that needs to have its time set
    >>manually, that is.

    > Many GPS receivers need to be told the offset between local time and UTC
    > (GMT). That offset changes at the beginning and end of Daylight Savings
    > Time.
    >
    > Now, some GPS receivers know the DST algorithm used in the USA and
    > Canada, and if you happen to live in one of those places, you can get
    > your GPS to update the offset automatically. But that doesn't apply to
    > most of the world.
    >
    > Dave

    And those in the US that do will be needing an update for that algorithm
    when the dates for DST change next year...

    Holley
    Holley, Oct 31, 2006
  18. "Holley" <> writes:

    >And those in the US that do will be needing an update for that algorithm
    >when the dates for DST change next year...

    Which is only likely to happen for GPS receivers that (a) have the
    firmware in flash RAM and (b) were built by manufacturers that issue
    firmware updates and (c) are recent enough to still be supported by the
    manufacturer.

    The rest of them will just revert to manually changing the DST offset in
    the spring and the fall on the appropriate date. Which reminds me, I
    haven't reset my own GPS receivers yet...

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Oct 31, 2006
  19. Dave Martindale wrote:
    > "Holley" <> writes:
    >
    >> And those in the US that do will be needing an update for that algorithm
    >> when the dates for DST change next year...

    > Which is only likely to happen for GPS receivers that (a) have the
    > firmware in flash RAM and (b) were built by manufacturers that issue
    > firmware updates and (c) are recent enough to still be supported by the
    > manufacturer.
    >
    > The rest of them will just revert to manually changing the DST offset in
    > the spring and the fall on the appropriate date. Which reminds me, I
    > haven't reset my own GPS receivers yet...

    Nor have I. But, since I really don't need it to display proper local
    time, I may not.

    My original t.i.c. point was that if the GPS didn't know what time it
    was, down to a very tiny tick, it'd be useless.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Oct 31, 2006
  20. writes:

    >Nor have I. But, since I really don't need it to display proper local
    >time, I may not.

    Just leave it set to UTC all the time? That does make sense. I never
    look at a GPS receiver to determine the time; I use a watch for that.
    Sometimes I use the GPSr to set the watch, but then I only care about
    the seconds and maybe the minutes.

    >My original t.i.c. point was that if the GPS didn't know what time it
    >was, down to a very tiny tick, it'd be useless.

    Well, yes and no. The entire GPS system is normally closely
    synchronized with USNO time, so it can be used to determine what time it
    is now, as well as measure the passage of time and calculate location.

    But suppose instead that a gremlin got into the GPS system and it was
    some unknown amount of time offset from USNO. Without some independent
    way to measure and remove this offset, the system would become useless
    for measuring the current time.

    But as long as the whole system was synchronized to the same wrong
    clock, navigation would still work perfectly well, since that's done
    entirely with time differences. And as long as the wrong clock was
    running at the correct rate, the GPS system would be just as good at
    measuring the passage of time or frequency.

    One of the neat things about GPS is that it calculates positions based on
    time difference measurements with a precision of a few ns, even though
    the local oscillator need not be better than a cheap crystal. The local
    clock error disappears in the calculations.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Nov 1, 2006