    disconcerting.

    Thanks,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Feb 24, 2004

  2. Emrys Davies

    trout Guest

    Emrys Davies wrote:

    > When posts are responded to I mostly get the appropriate symbol i.e. +
    > in box which indicates that 'The message has responses that are
    > collapsed. Click the icon to show all the responses (expand the
    > conversation)'.
    >
    > However, in a large number of instances, there is no such symbol
    > despite the fact that the post has received a response. In those
    > instances the name of the FROM person is that of the person who has
    > answered the post
    >
    > Why is that and is there anything I can do to rectify it as I find it
    > disconcerting.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Emrys Davies.

    So, you're saying that your display shows some threads that are
    collapsed, and some that aren't, at the same time? I assume you have
    View; Current view set to "group messages by conversation". Any other
    View applied?
    If you highlight a message in an 'expanded' conversation, does
    clicking View; 'Collapse' do anything?
    And just to be sure; we're not talking about a single reply to a
    missing original post, are we? There are quite a few posts that are
    filtered out on the uni-berlin server, like some spam, binary content,
    and blank message fields. Do the subject lines in question have a "Re:"?
    --
    "Perhaps you could give an example recent subject line."

    trout, Feb 24, 2004

  3. Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies Guest

    +
    > > in box which indicates that 'The message has responses that are
    > > collapsed. Click the icon to show all the responses (expand the
    > > conversation)'.
    > >
    > > However, in a large number of instances, there is no such symbol
    > > despite the fact that the post has received a response. In those
    > > instances the name of the FROM person is that of the person who has
    > > answered the post
    > >
    > > Why is that and is there anything I can do to rectify it as I find

    it
    > > disconcerting.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Emrys Davies.

    > So, you're saying that your display shows some threads that are
    > collapsed, and some that aren't, at the same time?

    Yes

    I assume you have
    > View; Current view set to "group messages by conversation". Any other
    > View applied?

    Yes, i have.

    > If you highlight a message in an 'expanded' conversation, does
    > clicking View; 'Collapse' do anything?

    When I do that 'Collapse' is greyed out

    > And just to be sure; we're not talking about a single reply to a
    > missing original post, are we? There are quite a few posts that are
    > filtered out on the uni-berlin server, like some spam, binary content,
    > and blank message fields. Do the subject lines in question have a

    "Re:"?

    Yes, a number of the subject lines start with Re-. Yours did, as you
    can see.
    > --
    > "Perhaps you could give an example recent subject

    line."

    See above.

    Thanks,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Feb 24, 2004
  4. Emrys Davies

    trout Guest

    Emrys Davies wrote:

    > "trout" <> wrote in message
    >> Emrys Davies wrote:
    >>
    >>> When posts are responded to I mostly get the appropriate symbol
    >>> i.e. + in box which indicates that 'The message has responses that
    >>> are collapsed. Click the icon to show all the responses (expand the
    >>> conversation)'.
    >>>
    >>> However, in a large number of instances, there is no such symbol
    >>> despite the fact that the post has received a response. In those
    >>> instances the name of the FROM person is that of the person who has
    >>> answered the post
    >>>
    >>> Why is that and is there anything I can do to rectify it as I find
    >>> it disconcerting.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Emrys Davies.

    >> So, you're saying that your display shows some threads that are
    >> collapsed, and some that aren't, at the same time?

    > Yes
    >

    > I assume you have
    >> View; Current view set to "group messages by conversation". Any other
    >> View applied?

    > Yes, i have.
    >
    >> If you highlight a message in an 'expanded' conversation, does
    >> clicking View; 'Collapse' do anything?

    > When I do that 'Collapse' is greyed out
    >

    >> And just to be sure; we're not talking about a single reply to a
    >> missing original post, are we? There are quite a few posts that are
    >> filtered out on the uni-berlin server, like some spam, binary
    >> content, and blank message fields. Do the subject lines in question
    >> have a "Re:"?

    > Yes, a number of the subject lines start with Re-. Yours did, as you
    > can see.
    >> --
    >> "Perhaps you could give an example recent subject

    > line."
    >>

    > See above.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Emrys Davies.

    In this thread; there is no 'box' beside your original post? Also,
    does this occur in any other (newsgroup) folder, and what's your
    Operating System?

    trout, Feb 24, 2004
  5. Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    >> In this thread; there is no 'box' beside your original post?

    Yes, there is such a box.

    Also,
    > does this occur in any other (newsgroup) folder, and

    I should have said from the outset that it does not occur in this
    newsgroup, but I choose to post here because this is where I get the
    best advice. Sorry about that omission.

    Also, it does not happen in:

    uk.rec.gardening
    comp.periphs.printers
    rec.food.cooking

    It happens in about one third of posts in:

    alt.windows98
    microsoft.public.windows98.gen_discussion
    microsoft.public.win98.internet.outlookexpress

    I have Windows98 SE

    The posts in which it happens always start with Re: I had not noticed
    that until you made the observation.

    This is a bit of a nuisance because such posts are back to front from a
    practical point of view and until you mentioned the Re: part the only
    way I can see that there has been a reponse to a post was by clicking on
    the header.

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    what's your

    Emrys Davies, Feb 24, 2004
  6. Emrys Davies

    trout Guest

    Emrys Davies wrote:

    > "trout" <> wrote in message
    >>> In this thread; there is no 'box' beside your original post?

    > Yes, there is such a box.
    >
    > Also,
    >> does this occur in any other (newsgroup) folder, and

    > I should have said from the outset that it does not occur in this
    > newsgroup, but I choose to post here because this is where I get the
    > best advice. Sorry about that omission.
    >
    > Also, it does not happen in:
    >
    > uk.rec.gardening
    > comp.periphs.printers
    > rec.food.cooking
    >
    > It happens in about one third of posts in:
    >
    > alt.windows98
    > microsoft.public.windows98.gen_discussion
    > microsoft.public.win98.internet.outlookexpress
    >
    > I have Windows98 SE
    >
    > The posts in which it happens always start with Re: I had not noticed
    > that until you made the observation.
    >
    > This is a bit of a nuisance because such posts are back to front from
    > a practical point of view and until you mentioned the Re: part the
    > only way I can see that there has been a reponse to a post was by
    > clicking on the header.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Emrys Davies.

    It *sounds* like you are just missing the original posts in these
    threads; although the rest of the thread should, in that case, still be
    collapsed under the first reply with that subject line.
    As mentioned, the originals might not have been carried by the
    server, or the replies made to old posts that have expired. There could
    have been unspecified 'server problems' at the time you tried to
    download messages. Do you access groups on different servers?
    I'd try re-setting one of the problem newsgroups. Right-click the
    folder (on the folder list); Properties; Local File; Reset.
    --
    "See if that makes a difference."

    trout, Feb 24, 2004
  7. Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message

    > It *sounds* like you are just missing the original posts in these
    > threads; although the rest of the thread should, in that case, still

    be
    > collapsed under the first reply with that subject line.
    > As mentioned, the originals might not have been carried by the
    > server, or the replies made to old posts that have expired. There

    could
    > have been unspecified 'server problems' at the time you tried to
    > download messages. Do you access groups on different servers?

    No. I use just the one server. News.Individual.NET and it has served
    me well. I think I will e-mail them to see if they can explain the
    reason for the promlem.

    > I'd try re-setting one of the problem newsgroups. Right-click the
    > folder (on the folder list); Properties; Local File; Reset.
    > --
    > "See if that makes a difference."

    Done that. No change.

    Thanks a lot.